Sign in to follow this  
simcity4ever88

Augusta, large Italian city

46 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Thank you Vivapanda, in fact I've only posted half the pictures, as more were not allowed. I still have to show you the railways, the suburbs, the industrial areas, and the countryside. I'm glad you like it, it's been a lot of work! :)

Dude, that's fantastic! Btw, could you please tell me where you found all those ancient looking houses you use near the colosseum and the temples and where you found the medieval walls? I am currently trying to create a city with an ancient roman center, with a medieval ring around it, but I couldn't get any further than this, because I didn't find suitable houses and walls...

sebastia.png

Nice DIY BATs you have over there, if you really want to release them into STEX, you need to fix the textures to look more like Mattb325's houses or atleast Maxis (ie, reduce saturation, adding a gradient, adding dust, etc.)

You might as well start a BAT thread!

ADVICE: Use .JPEG instead of .PNG to reduce load time, if you want to compile a large album you might as well use imgur.com

Dude, that's fantastic! Btw, could you please tell me where you found all those ancient looking houses you use near the colosseum and the temples and where you found the medieval walls? I am currently trying to create a city with an ancient roman center, with a medieval ring around it, but I couldn't get any further than this, because I didn't find suitable houses and walls...

sebastia.png

Look around [searchInKey]=files&search_app_filters[downloads][files][sortKey]=date&st=60"]xannepan's creations (look at page 2 and 3), he made those houses.

• Original Poster
  • Thank you all for your comments! -e grazie agli amici italiani http://community.simtropolis.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/1.gif

@ smf_16

Nice idea to make a Roman city centre! I have used buildings available on the stex, the lex, simcitypolska, some from Japanese sites, and some hundreds made by myself -for example, the medieval walls set, and all the buildings with overhanging porticos.

@ zahrul

You are right about the jpg, unfortunately I didn't know about loading times, and have now not much time to make up for the mistake. Sorry for the inconvenience!

About textures, I agree with you. The thing is, as Italian-styled buildings are extremely rare on any exchange, I decided to use my time batting a large number of buildings rather than making perfectly realistic textures. However, if so requested, I will provide the link to download my BAT files for everybody to enjoy and improve -keeping in mind that Italian colours are anyway more saturated than in Northern Europe, even in the real world.

sebastia.png

Look around xannepan's creations (look at page 2 and 3), he made those houses.

@Jason: Yes I know, it's a picture from my city :P But I'm not really satisfied with it...

@simcity4ever88: Sorry, I read over the fact you batted most of them yourself. I'd love to have your custom content, should I PM your my email address or something?

• Original Poster
  • About sharing my custom content: this is the link that anybody can to use to download my own work:

http://www.divshare.com/download/23679707-33a

It includes 2 folders: one with model, desc, and lot files; the other with screenshots of the BAT models, so you can see which is which.

BAT scenes are not yet included, but they will if I get requests.

Hi there,

Truly spectacular, so varied and eclectic but at the same time incredibly realistic. A work of art!

I'm fairly new to sim city and love to see what expert players like yourself have been able to create.

Being Italian myself I was drawn to your city like a moth to the fire...I would be extremely grateful if you could kindly share the city and all the mods (?) and buildings...I would love to try and and build my own version of Augusta...I'm playin the standard version of simcity 4 without the rush hour pack which I have just ordered. The choices of buildings, roads, mass transit and parks is very limited and some of the glitches are rather frustrating...

Anyway, very well done again.

Best regards

• Original Poster
  • @Flav73

Thank you, I am flattered! :)

Yes, my aim was to recreate a typical Italian city with its different areas: the ancient center, the post-war inner city, the more recent outskirts, industrial areas, incorporated towns, suburbs, etc, trying to replicate the real-world dynamic of city expansion.

As for your request, it is possible. All in all, my plugins folder it a little less than 2 GB. Aside from extensively using buildings and mods available on the exchanges, I also did a lot of re-lotting and re-modding, to make downloads more compatible with an Italian setting, so that may be of interest too.

Just PM me and we'll see in detail.

• Original Poster
  • UPDATE 1

Mass transport is provided by trains, buses, trams, and also a trolley bus that runs all around the city on a 28km-long ring, in the inner city and the outskirts. Here are some pictures taken along its circular route.

CL1_zps24140fef.jpg

CL2_zps7763b7c3.jpg

CL3_zpsee608684.jpg

(Here is the trolley bus)

CL4_zpsb05fc683.jpg

CL5_zpsbd4eb0c2.jpg

CL6_zpsc0d48091.jpg

CL7_zpseb941cf7.jpg

CL8_zpsf4748337.jpg

CL9_zps87d4066b.jpg

CL10_zps7fe82ffe.jpg

CL11_zps56c2f59d.jpg

CL12_zpscf38f432.jpg

CL13_zpsae3fa296.jpg

CL14_zpsaa6722cb.jpg

CL15_zpsab5d1672.jpg

CL16_zpse362d318.jpg

CL17_zps8cc9c16d.jpg

CL18_zps49ce9e8d.jpg

CL19_zps2ba0b7c2.jpg

Its route comes by a coach station..

CL20_zps95e3b93b.jpg

CL21_zps8eac2738.jpg

CL22_zpsb1fb76dd.jpg

CL23_zps0bcaf047.jpg

...the main bus depot...

CL24_zpsb94f801d.jpg

CL25_zpsb30ca926.jpg

...and the trolley bus depot, of course!

CL26_zps2ff608b3.jpg

The city has two main train stations, one close to the northern gates..

Rail1_zps17153ad5.jpg

Rail2_zpsebf9b52f.jpg

..the other one close to the south-eastern gate.

Rail3_zpsd8d17e4a.jpg

Then there are several smaller stations to serve other areas of the city...

Rail4_zpsa4418ef6.jpg

Rail5_zps524f92e7.jpg

(still the trolley bus nearby)

Rail6_zpsef6e29d9.jpg

Rail7_zps4928c7b3.jpg

...train depots...

Rail8_zps73eb770b.jpg

Rail9_zpse96bb155.jpg

Rail10_zpsbf3719a6.jpg

Rail11_zpsb9fd920f.jpg

Rail12_zpseb3105de.jpg

Rail13_zpsd7c2454d.jpg

Rail14_zpse8c182d6.jpg

...and of course lines that runs across the neighbourhoods, crossed by flyovers and underpasses.

Rail15_zps81a2e1b3.jpg

Rail16_zpsa2c0cd2e.jpg

Rail17_zpsc086c9af.jpg

Rail18_zpsd75a2ef6.jpg

Rail19_zpsfc934d5e.jpg

Rail20_zpscb702cee.jpg

Rail21_zps73587406.jpg

Rail22_zpsc74cf117.jpg

Rail23_zps65464aa0.jpg

Rail24_zpscb0d4f5a.jpg

Rail25_zpse513706e.jpg

Rail26_zpsb33a04b8.jpg

Rail27_zps708f12cf.jpg

The city also has an airport, close to which are commercial areas and big hotels.

Airport1_zps3655ecd0.jpg

Airport2_zps0d069bc6.jpg

Airport3_zpsdbee361f.jpg

The wholesale markets are busy every day, trading the food such a big city requires.

Markets1_zpse83ac4c1.jpg

Markets2_zps6fc856a1.jpg

Markets3_zps980e8064.jpg

Markets4_zps74946c5a.jpg

Markets5_zps017c665f.jpg

• Original Poster
  • @Benedict

Spot on, they are the standard Italian colours for transit. Urban transport is orange, whereas blue buses are for longer, regional lines. In some pictures you also see tourist coaches, obviously multicoloured.

Nice, really nice. I have a few questions for you.

1) In the regional view I noticed that the different cities have different tones of green for their grass carpets; why is that? Is it fixable? I'm saying this because the region really looks fantastic and VERY realistic (at least, that is what I see when I happen to fly over Italy) and those different greens somehow break the overall unity.

2) How did you manage to grow only one kind of building per suburb/city? Did you use the in-game building control button sc_screen004.jpg)? You didn't plop them one by one,now, did you? (Tell me that ain't the case! :D). Also, I didn't seem to notice any of the Maxis building (if only a few): did you block them somehow?

Thanks man, e ancora complimenti! :)

• Original Poster
  • @thehandyman

I batted the medieval bridge (the one with red bricks) myself; it's an overhanging prop that covers the ingame road bridge, so it only fits that specific width of the river.

As for the canals, I batted 2 sets of grass and red-bricks canal, somewhat compatible with SimGoober's. Anyway, most of the canals you see in the pics are actually the narrow canal set by SG, and for the river I've used the embankment set by Marrast.

The realistic water is available on the stex, now I don't remember exactly what mod that is.

@cromabianca

1) You are right about the different shades of green. It is due to the slightly different level of the terrain. Part of the difference is also between the established tiles, where the Italian terrain mod is active, and the still "virgin" tiles, that show the in-game terrain colour. (Btw, the terraforming is far from finished, for example it's supposed to be all hilly just North of the city).

The difference will certainly vary when using different terrain mods, or reverting to the in-game one; that should somewhat fix or alleviate the problem. Oh, and then again, the city is not finished; for example, the gaps between developed areas are supposed to be filled with crops, vegetation, etc that would therefore cover the terrain and solve the problem.

2)To choose the buildings, selecting the style and the tile prints was not enough. The only way to give your city the appearance you want, is to use the buildingplop extra cheat extensively -yep, for almost all the buildings! In that way, you directly plop your commercial and industrial buildings, and plop your residentials over pre-developed areas. It's a process that requires time and (a lot of) patience, but vital to avoid a complete chaos; when your plugin folder counts hundreds of buildings, it can only rarely happen that the one you want grows exactly where you want it.

By using the buildingplop cheat, you can have beautiful and functional cities at the same time.

3) I didn't block Maxis buildings (though mods to do so are available on the stex), I simply built them over with the aforementioned extra cheat.

Thank you for your compliments, I hope my work will be useful for all who love the Italian style. If you have more questions, just ask! :)

Wow this really is crazy! What a great city! Great job on everything! I've never seen anything looking so close to reality as dense on this scale before. I must say i really like your highrise districts with the appartments! They really look Italian!

• Original Poster
  • UPDATE 3

Though very dense, the city still has some green areas. From the parks in the centre...

Park1_zps35406ebd.jpg

...to the ones in the inner city...

Park2_zps38433c08.jpg

Park3_zpsf67ecf94.jpg

Park4_zps16cd1c09.jpg

...and the outskirts.

Park5_zps01f1d227.jpg

While growing larger and larger, the city has incorporated several small towns, which have retained some of their original structure, though very much altered their character and become all and one with the city.

Inc1_zpsafd4810f.jpg

Inc2_zps0d0deeba.jpg

Inc3_zps3bb657dd.jpg

Inc4_zps844a6728.jpg

Inc5_zps3520ce81.jpg

Inc6_zps2e7d2ef7.jpg

Inc7_zps29435dd0.jpg

Inc8_zps2d437d33.jpg

Inc9_zpsd35b34b4.jpg

Inc10_zps47bccb65.jpg

On the edges of the city, suburbs provide a less dense, greener environment, where recent developments and rowhouses abound.

Suburb1_zpsf1c148a6.jpg

Suburb2_zps0518cc68.jpg

Suburb3_zpsb2c8080f.jpg

Suburb4_zps01075dd6.jpg

Suburb5_zps85d65044.jpg

Suburb6_zps921301a0.jpg

Suburb7_zps17186abc.jpg

Suburb8_zps1d3fd411.jpg

Suburb9_zps0252987c.jpg

Suburb10_zpsaf1ca4ad.jpg

Suburb11_zpsa1bac2ba.jpg

Suburb12_zpsdba865be.jpg

Suburb13_zpsa0c9ef97.jpg

Suburb14_zpsbe695d00.jpg

Suburb15_zps8c490bec.jpg

Suburb16_zps3ad14ac3.jpg

Suburb17_zps1e27a2a1.jpg

Suburb18_zpsab21ec75.jpg

Suburb19_zps8c829404.jpg

Suburb20_zps9a03eeef.jpg

Suburb21_zps6706553a.jpg

Suburb22_zps7e639c67.jpg

Suburb23_zps7fe77dad.jpg

Suburb24_zpsb3689969.jpg

Suburb25_zps0fc79bf4.jpg

Suburb26_zpscadeb09f.jpg

Suburb27_zpsc08b11ec.jpg

Suburb28_zpse2c65776.jpg

A 3-lanes ringroad connects the outer reaches of the city...

Ring1_zps9bb784c2.jpg

Ring2_zps07c5283b.jpg

Ring3_zps77107524.jpg

Ring4_zps673b9e55.jpg

Ring5_zpsb921f28f.jpg

Ring6_zps3d8389c2.jpg

Ring7_zpsbe0986d0.jpg

Ring8_zps44263c19.jpg

Ring9_zpsea28d83f.jpg

Ring10_zps5aaf9e98.jpg

Ring11_zps5d45b70f.jpg

Ring12_zps83192233.jpg

...and provides access to the freeways.

Ring13_zpsef87f438.jpg

Ring14_zps595912f5.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Again thank you all, it's great to read your comments!

@ thehandyman

I definitely love to share my work, however I really have no time to properly upload hundreds of files to the STEX, as that would mean to scan lots for dependencies, to compress, to include shots, documentation, etc.

However, again anybody can download most of my BATs here:

http://www.divshare.com/download/23679707-33a

If anybody wishes to upload my work to the STEX, is welcome to do so.

You won't find my custom automata at the link above, only because when I modded them I didn't bother to use new instances, so they may conflict with some other custom plugins.

Should anybody be interested, my personal automata include the orange bus and tram, the trolley bus, the blue regional buses, tourists coaches, scooters that replace the in-game commuter cars, 3 long trailer trucks, some new trailers, 2 superbikes, the ACI tow truck, the mail truck, 2 motorhomes, a tractor, and more.

If I get requests, I'll also make my gmax files available for download (at least the ones that survived my pc crush/change, as several are unfortunately lost, or only the "primitive" stage survives) so batters will be able to play around with them and perhaps change some textures to their liking.