Sign in to follow this  
poshbakerloo

Greater Manchester - A new beginning...

33 posts in this topic Last Reply

I already started this CJ in the official section but the old forum style seems to be more popular so I'm moving it here ;)

This CJ is based in Greater Manchester! Using that amazing new and huge region that has been made. It includes the whole of Manchester and the surrounding area down to Northwich! This entry is the first and follows development in Manchester city centre.

The idea of this CJ is not to make a replica of Manchester, I'm sure I could do, but I work there and live just outside the place so find it pretty boring haha. I'm making a city that is based on it using familiar names etc...

Greater Manchester region overview...

region1-26.jpg

Transport view...

region2-24.jpg

The south Manchester villages, still separate but developing quickly...

Manchester1-1.jpg

Didsbury...

didsbury1.jpg

Chorlton...

chorlton.jpg

Barlow Moor...

barlowmoor.jpg

Parrs Wood...

parrswood1.jpg

Is this accurate? As in are you building it exactly like Manchester is, road by road etc? Or is it custom cities but with real names and terrain?

Edited by TheBonobo4  

• Original Poster
  • "The idea of this CJ is not to make a replica of Manchester, I'm sure I could do, but I work there and live just outside the place so find it pretty boring haha. I'm making a city that is based on it using familiar names etc..."

Its not a replica, I don't really find those interesting to make, but it is loosely based on it with places names being rough;y accurate, and also how the city is basically a collection of towns and villages that have merged.

• Original Poster
  • I have tried to do replicas before, but the only city in the world that is good to do on Simcity is New York. Manchester has roads going everywhere haha, and you would need to make 1000s of your own customer BATs for the buildings to look good.

I was thinking, in the Summer next year when I have lots of free time ofmaking a replica of Manchester, since it's my home town. It'll be really hard to do though since there aren't many Manchester or even UK based BATs, plus many roads and houses. But it'll be worth it I reckon. :)

Does anyone here know how long, or rather the chance of getting a BAT made if it's requested in the BAT request thread?

well... it might be boring for you... but actually think about it... if you can do it... people would be more attracted to this cj since no one ever made a manchester replica...

How often is it actually someone makes a near enough exact replica of a complete city like NY, Chicago, London or Manchester? Not very often I assume. There's a guy on YouTube who made part of Chicago, but he's the only guy I know of who's done anything like this. Shame, I'd love to see more replicas.

Edited by TheBonobo4  

I'm aware of the UK BATs, I've got a lot of them and I love them, especially the terraced houses. Just a shame they aren't ploppable and functional, it'd make building cities much easier.

All I mean is that there aren't many landmarks for Manchester, like the town hall, cathedral, Piccadilly station, Victoria station, print works Trafford centre. They're all missing at the moment.

Edited by TheBonobo4  

I'm aware of the UK BATs, I've got a lot of them and I love them, especially the terraced houses. Just a shame they aren't ploppable and functional, it'd make building cities much easier.

All I mean is that there aren't many landmarks for Manchester, like the town hall, cathedral, Piccadilly station, Victoria station, print works Trafford centre. They're all missing at the moment.

The CIS Tower, New Century Hall, City Tower and 82 King Street are about. Also the Beetham tower is proving a challenge, if you BAT it, not only will I love you forever, but I bet that a lot of SimTrop users will be in awe of you too.

I've downloaded CIS Tower, New Century Hall, City Tower and 82 King Street. Like I said if we got the Town Hall and Cathedral I'd be really happy. I made a request in the BAT request thread, but I'm not sure how often BAT members look at it or even how much chance there is of getting my requests made. I made those requests in the BAT request thread but that was nearly a month ago and they've got largely ignored it seems. :(

I'm no BATter, I don't even have the BAT. So I won't make it anytime soon. ;)

Edited by TheBonobo4  

Its a good start, and it is always great to see a fellow North Westerner on here.

Don't be discouraged to continue with what you have started!

Sometimes general Euro BATs work well, just have a look around. There was a First Bus model floating around too! Even a few US buildings fit in well for City Centre locations.

Three suggestions I would put to you are:

1: Euro Road Textures....these would help

2: Streetlighting Mod (helps you stamp your mark on the streets)

3: Although this is not a replication of GM, I would suggest having the bare essentials in place. It would be great to see Stockport with its Viaduct...Metrolink and Mancunian Way.

You have great potential, I hope that with support, a great CJ will flourish.

All the best.

EDIT: Thinking about it, for the likes of Hulme, Harpurhey and Beswick you may only need SFBTs Prefab apartments....have a look and see what you think. They do work well for inner city locations.

Edited by wallasey  

Ohhhh!!! Interesting. Seeing how Im currently in Salford Im very curious to see how this one turns out. Though, to be fair, your CJ could definitely benefit from some custom content. I mean, I get that you dont want to do a one on one replica as thats pretty hard with European cities and their rather chaotic roads, but maybe you could find some of the more famous Manchester landmarks and place them on roughly accurate spots?

Anyways, keep at it!

• Original Poster
  • Haha wow thanks for all these comments, I've been pretty busy so not had much chance to look!

As I go through with this CJ is will be going back and re developing areas so how they currently look ish. The idea is that Manchester as we know it will eventually come from this CJ but it starting off with it being a small collection of villages and growing from there. Places will change, and whilst its only really the place names and location those places with its accurate, things will gradually start it fit back into place as it develops into more of a city.

The region is huge, it goes all the way down to Northwich! So it may take a while haha.

Looking forward to the next update.

And yeah, a realistic replica of Manchester would be epic. As I said earlier, I plan on attempting it sometime next year, but I look at Manchester on Google maps and I realise how hard it actually would be, with all the cul-de-sacs and curved roads, not to mention the railway networks and elevated rails/viaducts and so on. Plus this map is huge. Warrington to the Pennines, Bury/Rochdale to Northwhich. :boggle:

And you'd need hundreds of mods, like Network Addon Mods, Darker nights, realistic water, and tons of BATs like the Cathedral and Town Hall, Printworks, Library, Museums, Schools, many of which haven't yet been made. :cry:

Edited by TheBonobo4  

• Original Poster
  • Update:

I did think about making an exact replica, but like most English cities it would be verging on impossible haha.

This is based on Manchester, but its starting with 'natural growth' rather than making a replica from the city centre outwards which seems to happen a lot. This update shows the development of the villages that in the end will form the city. It will look more Manchester-ish as the CJ develops...

Region...

man1.jpg

Transport view...

transport1-1.jpg

The village of Openshaw...

openshaw4.jpg

Fairfield Road...

openshaw1.jpg

Night time view...

openshaw3.jpg

Another night time view...

openshaw2.jpg

Looks good so far. :)

And yeah, Manchester would be nearly impossible to replicate, but I can try right? The largely terraced areas such as Moss Side where the roads are straight and at right angles would be fairly easy, it's the city centre and docks that would be difficult.

As an aside, I realise your using the cul-de-sac mod. Do you know how to get 1x1 houses to go diagonally round the road, rather than just 3, left right and centre? If that makes sense.

• Original Poster
  • Looks good so far. :)

And yeah, Manchester would be nearly impossible to replicate, but I can try right? The largely terraced areas such as Moss Side where the roads are straight and at right angles would be fairly easy, it's the city centre and docks that would be difficult.

As an aside, I realise your using the cul-de-sac mod. Do you know how to get 1x1 houses to go diagonally round the road, rather than just 3, left right and centre? If that makes sense.

I have no idea haha, if they are not touching a road then I don't think they would build, not seen a mod to get around that. There are areas of the city which could be built on simcity but when you try going off into the endless suburbs etc its difficult.

I imagine areas like Moss Side, Hulme, and Levenshulme would be easy to replicate, since it's mostly terraces and railways. But the canals would be near impossible, as would the suburbs with the crazy road layouts and endless greenery.

You said any English city would be impossible to replicate, but I reckon we could easily extend that list to any non-American city. ;)

• Original Poster
  • You said any English city would be impossible to replicate, but I reckon we could easily extend that list to any non-American city. ;)

Haha I think that is true. Well basically any city that has roads that are no purpose built roads etc, most English roads are just upgraded farm tracks haha

• Original Poster
  • Update:

Development in Clayton and Reddish! The villages are growing, and are heading towards that sprawl known as Manchester haha

Transport view...

simcity42012-10-2922-42-31-78.jpg

The village of Reddish...

simcity42012-10-2922-41-20-07.jpg

The centre of Clayton has recently been pedestrianised and the traffic diverted around the centre...

simcity42012-10-2922-16-53-38.jpg

Night time view...

simcity42012-10-2922-17-14-97.jpg

Clayton and Openshaw are growing...

simcity42012-10-2922-18-42-00.jpg

Night time view...

simcity42012-10-2922-18-25-66.jpg

Clayton Vale looks fantastic, how'd you do that? Is it some kind of park mod or pre-made lot? I'm guessing it took a while to build the road around it. Manchester has a few of those oddly shaped parks. ;)

Just downloaded them now. Haven't used them yet but they look great in the screenshots! These will cmome in useful in building Manchester since it has a lot of parks/golf courses, with random holes and green areas and lakes. :)

• Original Poster
  • Update:

I have been so busy with work recently! Here is a small update to show the development of what will become Manchester city centre...

man3.jpg

Residential development in Ardwick...

man1-1.jpg

Rural areas soon to be swallowed up by the city...

man2.jpg

Something's not right. Everyone's avatars have disappeared, the profile system (where it says TheBonobo4 and post count etc) for everyone has changed, and none of poshbakerloo's images are showing. :(

Something's not right. Everyone's avatars have disappeared, the profile system (where it says TheBonobo4 and post count etc) for everyone has changed, and none of poshbakerloo's images are showing. :(

I don't know, what kind of internet connection you have, but I can see the pictures and the avatars.

Back to topic:

Your city is beautiful, but the most beautiful is the Clayton Vale.

You could use the smooth curve from NAM and the maxis blocker, if you don't like the maxis building. ;)

(Sorry for my bad english)

I'm in England using Google Chrome. And it's not just this site, it's a few others as well. But it was fine yesterday and I haven't changed anything. :(

When I quote posts I can see images though. How strange.

• Original Poster
  • Something's not right. Everyone's avatars have disappeared, the profile system (where it says TheBonobo4 and post count etc) for everyone has changed, and none of poshbakerloo's images are showing. :(

I don't know, what kind of internet connection you have, but I can see the pictures and the avatars.

Back to topic:

Your city is beautiful, but the most beautiful is the Clayton Vale.

You could use the smooth curve from NAM and the maxis blocker, if you don't like the maxis building. ;)

(Sorry for my bad english)

I have experimented with the curved roads before, but I have never been happy with the result. You end up with awkward gaps between the road and zoned areas. I actually like the Maxis buildings haha, I do have a lot of BATs aswell.

• Original Poster
  • Update:

Expansion of Reddish Village...

Over view...

red1.jpg

Night time view...

red2.jpg

In recent years the village centre has become more and more congested so the local council has decided to pedestrianise the main street through the middle and divert the traffic around the edges...

red8.jpg

The completed project...

red7.jpg

A lot more people walk around the centre now...

red6.jpg

night time again ;)

red5.jpg

More coming soon xxx