Sign in to follow this  
fort wayne

Using RHW 5

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Am I the only one who has trouble using RHW 4 or 5? I literally, if I count up the hours, have spent days trying to get RHW to work. This is the most user unfriendly thing I have ever used. I have watched countless you tube videos, looked at tutorials etc. but all they show is how to plop highway starter pcs then drag them out straight. I get that, that is easy. Why isn't there anything that shows you how to do the difficult things such as connecting different pcs together?

For instance, in RHW5, I put down the SPUI intersection pcs then had my exit ramps from the 4 lane rural highway that goes the other direction. I then tried to connect the off ramp, which is a single lane, connect to the SPUI where its suppose to. Nothing works. I end up with a two lane road that is butted up and next to this skinny single road.

The difficulty with this program is that you can't just drag two different highway pcs together and have them join correctly. Is there anything out there that shows how to connect all these pcs? I got the plop starter pc then drag out from that but now how to connect to a different highway pc to it. Very frustrating.

I thought downloading the new NAM and RHW5 etc. would fix the issue but it did not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried the transistion pieces? It seems that you're having problems with different widths of the RHW.

By the way, you may want to check out my tutorial video, Asterconn's excellent "How to use the RHW" videos or Haljackey's RHW Interchange Guide. In all those guides and videos, the basic techniques (as well as the more advanced) are explained.

Best,

Maarten

most likely that is your problem .

Most new users of nam forget to add transistion's or just put it out of there mind altogther . It also depends on what kind of tile you used before the transistion

could you please clarify on that as well

cheers

josh halen

• Original Poster
  • most likely that is your problem .

Most new users of nam forget to add transistion's or just put it out of there mind altogther . It also depends on what kind of tile you used before the transistion

could you please clarify on that as well

cheers

josh halen

• Original Poster
  • I have actually looked at many of those videos on you tube and I have looked at that guide. They are great for showing the intersections and their pcs but weak on showing how to connect them to other road networks. I slow these videos of astoconn (spelling) down to try and see what pcs he picks to connect things but it goes by so fast I can't tell what he uses. He makes it look so easy!! lol

Not sure what you mean by what tile I am using. If I understand correctly its just plain grass. I use the street pc to flatten or level the ground before I attempt to build.

I've been using RHW for few months now and it really takes some time to get used to it. The best way to learn it in my opinion, is simply to experimenting on a blank map.

Here are some things to concentrate on:

1. Give yourself the time to cycle through the different options in the menu (using TAB)

2. place as much pieces as possible, try how they behave when you trag them with the RHW tool, place different starters, different transitions

and intersections.

3. try how the different RHW-networks can be connected to other networks. F.ex. dragging RHW4 or MIS into the end of an avenue or One-Way-Road.

4. try how to create overpasses: elevated RHW-networks can be dragged over most other networks (over road, avenue, rail, etc.)

if you want to build another network over RHW, you usually have to use puzzle pieces located in that networks menu. (F.e xin the road-menu

there's a button with road over rhw pieces.

5. build, build, build. The more you build the more you learn.

When you've figured out those things I've wrote above, you have some pretty good basic to start creating your own highway-systems. It'll take probably some hours, but it is really worth the effort.

Good Luck learning

-Jaris

Edited by jaris  

This may be unrelated to construction issues with the RH5, but I built a few SPUI's in my city, and ran into a problem. While I can make the SPUI and connect it properly, there is a possible compatibility problem with the Utopia Series Medians for avenues (Pegasus products...). When I drag my avenue to meet the SPUI, the Pegasus add-on fills in my medians with foliage, etc, but this cuts into the turning lane from the avenue to the SPUI. So instead of a gentle turning lane placement, we get a boxy placement. I don't know if this affects the traffic flow or volume of the interchange. So I deleted the Pegasus medians but still have the shortened turning lane. Not sure how to fix this.. in my pic, I peeled off part of my RH-4 to show the SPUI and Median strip. Note the lane that you would use to turn from the Avenue to the onramp to the Real Highway. (also pictured is Kevdan25's McDonald's..) I also rebuilt the entire SPUI after deleting the Pegasus add-on.

post-78646-0-56641900-1316923305_thumb.p

I forgot to delete the construction site squares on either side of the SPUI, but even doing this doesn't change the lane cosmetics..so the pic is a few minutes old...I deleted those squares.

Edited by lazy tiger  

This may be unrelated to construction issues with the RH5, but I built a few SPUI's in my city, and ran into a problem. While I can make the SPUI and connect it properly, there is a possible compatibility problem with the Utopia Series Medians for avenues (Pegasus products...).

There's no way a T21 exemplar can hinder a puzzle piece or transit network's functionality; At most, it can only hinder its looks.

Besides, judging by your picture, you forgot the TuLEPs. These are Turn-Lane puzzle pieces that can allow you to make variable-length turn-lane setups, and most importantly, create a proper SPUI to turn lane connection (The reason behind the creation of the TuLEPs). Did you select the Turn Lane Extension Pieces while installing the NAM?

Edited by Ganaram DI  

This may be unrelated to construction issues with the RH5, but I built a few SPUI's in my city, and ran into a problem. While I can make the SPUI and connect it properly, there is a possible compatibility problem with the Utopia Series Medians for avenues (Pegasus products...).

There's no way a T21 exemplar can hinder a puzzle piece or transit network's functionality; At most, it can only hinder its looks.

Besides, judging by your picture, you forgot the TuLEPs. These are Turn-Lane puzzle pieces that can allow you to make variable-length turn-lane setups, and most importantly, create a proper SPUI to turn lane connection (The reason behind the creation of the TuLEPs). Did you select the Turn Lane Extension Pieces while installing the NAM?

I do have the TuLEPs, but but this is all still so new to me. when I place my SPUI (there is two halves) I had connection problems with the MIS, so I had to basically make a RH4 lane for the SPUI, then drag out a few tiles to a RH-4 to MIS transition piece. Then i set to run my avenue thru, and got the median foliage running into the turning lane. (more techncally, cutting it short.) The only mod I have for Avenues is the Pegasus UT mod, which I deleted to try to restore a sensible turning lane to my avenue, it didn't work. I didn't know that the TuLEPs would also be needed for the transition, I'm going to have to get back in there and plug around to see if it resolves it. Should i place the TuLEPs first, then the SPUI, then drag the highway/avenue thru?

And sorry for being not in the Know, but I have no idea what a T21 exemplar is.

I do have the TuLEPs, but but this is all still so new to me. when I place my SPUI (there is two halves) I had connection problems with the MIS, so I had to basically make a RH4 lane for the SPUI, then drag out a few tiles to a RH-4 to MIS transition piece. Then i set to run my avenue thru, and got the median foliage running into the turning lane. (more techncally, cutting it short.) The only mod I have for Avenues is the Pegasus UT mod, which I deleted to try to restore a sensible turning lane to my avenue, it didn't work. I didn't know that the TuLEPs would also be needed for the transition, I'm going to have to get back in there and plug around to see if it resolves it. Should i place the TuLEPs first, then the SPUI, then drag the highway/avenue thru?

And sorry for being not in the Know, but I have no idea what a T21 exemplar is.

i tried using the TuLEPs to fix the problem, and I cannot place atop the SPUI, nor build first then SPUI over it. It also does not place on the avenue. so the TuLEPs doesn't seem to solve anything here.

ok, this is going to sound weird, but I got it working...(i think). I thought about you said (Ganaram) about missing the TuLEPs, so I re-downloaded the NAM into a different folder, then compared what my plugin NAM had and the new download had. In both, I had checked all options for TuLEPs, couldn't figure it out why wasn't working as I had identical files in both folders. I even looked at a tutorial on youtube, not one of the ones previously mentioned...and I had missing pieces. I only had the one icon TuLEPs with like the 4 pieces. So I just deleted the temp downloaded NAM and decided to sleep on the issue. But it bothered me a little, so I wanted to try a different approach, with the Widening Mod, maybe use a special road instead of an Avenue for my Flex-SPUI. So I rebooted, got into my SC4 and started to redo the SPUI, this time without trying to use an Avenue (I was going to try to bypass the issue with some transitioning pieces for RH...anyways I saw a new graphic right below my TuLEPs....the missing pieces!! I don't understand why they never shown up before, as I had rechecked my NAM files before going to bed...and all was there. Idk. So I gave it another quick shot and I got the more natural turning lanes i had wanted. Unfortunately, when i am trying to see what the transition looks like, when i move over the avenue (to place) it disappears, and it places it opposite what I had originally rotated it for. So i end up with a turning lane beginner in the opposite facing...which ruins that half of the Flex-SPUI. Is there a trick to keep the pieces from disappearing?? Other than that minor glitch, everything is working fine now, although I cannot explain why the files never activated, I downloaded the new NAM and the RH 5.0 the first day of release, and shut down the PC when not using...i'll just chalk it up to some llamas or something. Thanks for helping Ganaram.

Edited by lazy tiger