Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MonsterSnickers

My city stops at 1 million residents. HELP!!!

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • I have built my city on the largest tile. It's currently half zoned. I have plenty of cash because of raising dirty industries taxes to 20%. I tried to make my city larger but it won't grow. My education and everything is good and i have full coverage of police and fire protection. What do I do to get my city past 1M? 

This is also my first post in simtropolis after a friend told me this is the place for the best help in sims. I look forward to a fun time here 1.gif

• Original Poster
  • Oh another thing i forgot to mention. I have a VERY BAD traffic problem. Almost every road is RED in the graph thing. I just never can get highways to work. Nobody uses buses and trains and highways and subways and everything else i didn't mention. It's also very hard to build highways and everything in a city which is close and there is nothing I can do.

First of all, Welcome to Simtropolis! 39.gif

1mil in a single city is a lot (I have never gotten to 1 million in an entire region, but I play for realisim)

From what you have said, it sounds like traffic is your problem. What is your commute time?

It will help if you download and install the Network Addon Modd, because it adds new transportation interchanges, includes transit bugfixes, and includes modds that make the pathfinding engine in the game more realistic.

If you need any more help, just send me or one of the Staff a private message.

P.S. I also recommend you read the forum rules, double posting isn't allowed. Instead, use the Edit button to add any new thoughts into your origional post.

Ah, so the region is 1m, the city is 221k? You can find out commute time by going to graphs and charts - its listed there.

You need to click on the graph button on your mayor's menu, find comute time and click that and look at the graph......

please use the "Edit button" at the bottom of your last post if you need to add anything.

BTW Welcome to the tropolis!

• Original Poster
  • ok i have downloaded and installed. So just the mod just take effect the next time i start playing sim city? or do i have to do something to enable it to come into effect? Yes I have medium park in every residential zone. I'm not sure if there are neough jobs. I try to make more jobs but no industries come in to settle. thats part of the problem.

oh and nice city mayortim. =)

You are getting too fast forward it sounds like. make it good for the sims to live in your city. parks, schools for all agges, hospitals, ( if you have been a bit lazy with that) You should look for the Super demand modd too. And let it take time.

After installing the NAM and after you pick the options you want, yes it should automaticlly start.

And one more thing. Check your air pollution, if its heavy near roads and residential buildings, that will stop growth.(at least it does for me.)

Welcome, Monstersnickers. Since your city is so far along and traffic seems to be your biggest issue, the only way you're gonna get much relief is to go with mass transit. My suggestion is go to the STEX and download the "on road" subway and bus stops. You can drop these along the raods without taking up any extra space. If you put them in areas where the traffic is red and route the subways lines rationally, you should see a major drop in commute time as well as air pollution in a few game months. (or years, if U play at cheetah speed)

As far as population, I had well over a million people in a city once on a large tile, but it was so crammed and had no room for expansion, so I finally got rid of it. It may be a good idea to decide what you want your city to "be" before you start. If you want it with as high a population as possible or if you want it laid out in a somewhat realistic manner and go from there. Also, utilize the "region strategy". That is, have one city that has mainly (or all) residential, one adjoining for industry, one for commercial, etc. This will improve the layout and planning, plus, you won't have the negitive effects that come with a certain development type in areas that don't have that development.

There are many good tutorials out there that you can get some hints from. Pick and choose the ideas that work for you and apply them to your cities. I bought SC4 the day it came out and I STILL learn new things from the tutorials as well as from the many topics discussed in the forums.

Good luck with your cities, and let us know how they're coming along.

For my cities that push over 200K i lower commercial taxes below residental. It helps promoteCommericla growth. Alos the size of the Commerical tile you zone has an impact as well on the demand. Whats happened is you have no growth. The other way to fix this is to plop neightbor citys and such. (It works for me) If i plop two cities next to each other they tend to grow faster than a single city surrounded by empty tiles. you should try and build a neightbor city and creat road and rail connections to it.

Also cut your industry taxes, 20% is way to hight. that could be why you are having a growth problem.

Good luck

• Original Poster
  • i have about 4-5 neigbour cities surrounding this city. They are all connected. Thanks for the help. I will go download at stex. Do you know any good guides or tutorials that might help?

Look on the omnibus, there's lots of help there. You also may want to go to the new members forum, and use greyville's tutorial about how to get started!

Good luck.

200.000 isn't that much, my biggist city Rotterdam has over 600.000 with a commute time of just under 80 min. The region i'm playing has over 2 m.

You say that you are having trouble getting industry. These are some factors to consider:

--> All industry hates heavy traffic. If their freight trips are too long, they will pack up and move out.

--> High tech industry hates pollution and wants very high education

--> Manufacturing kinda dislikes pollution and wants decent education

--> Dirty industry doesn't care about eductation or pollution-- but really, really hates 20% taxes.

If you want to encourage clean industry, work on your pollution and education. If you want to encourage dirty industry, lower taxes. In either case, the suggestions that have been made above for traffic should help with any type of industry, as well as other forms of demand.

Hope this helps!