• Freddyeddy
    Freddyeddy

PA: EA earned hatred with poor games, lack of vision, and contempt for the audience, not homophobia

You hate us because we're so good at what we do

EA COO Peter Moore wrote a reaction to the poll, and his defense of the mighty publisher is both tone deaf and insulting. He blames homophobes who dislike EA’s push for allowing LGBT characters in games. He says that many dislike microtransactions, but you can’t argue with results! He once again says that the always-on require on SimCity isn’t DRM, as if the only thing keeping us from loving that game is a matter of semantics.

His message is simple: EA doesn’t really care what you think about it, because it’s successful.

Which is an argument that doesn’t hold up to the faintest of scrutiny. Your CEO doesn’t deploy his golden parachute due to lower than expected revenue because your games are doing well. EA is losing both the battle for gamers’ wallets as well as the battle for our hearts. They can say that they don’t mind being hated as long as we give them money, but fewer of us are giving them money. This is not the time for a victory lap.

The Consumerist has a rather damning response to Moore’s arguments about why so many people hate the publisher, and the post dismantles Moore’s arguments one by one.

“EA received hundreds of nominations from Consumerist readers this year, by far the most of any contender in the bracket, but not a single one mentioned anything about sexual orientation,” the post stated. “Consumerist does not condone homophobia or hate speech of any kind, and our readers understand the Worst Company contest and nominate businesses based on their merits.”

EA has given us ample reasons to hate them

SimCity not only requires an Internet connection, a decision that has led to no end of technical problems, but we can no longer create huge cities. We can’t save our game, experiment with the design, and then reload. It’s not a sandbox anymore, and the playful nature of past games in the series has been replaced by a game that forces us to play a certain way.

“The tallest trees catch the most wind,” Moore wrote. “At EA we remain proud and unbowed.” I have bad news for Peter Moore: Activision is the tallest tree, and people are actually buying their games. EA is fast becoming kindling, and the company ignores its customers throwing matches at its peril.

Full story: http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/ea-earned-hatred-with-poor-games-lack-of-vision-and-contempt-for-the-audien

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

The only thing really keeping EA going right now is DICE working on the next installment of the Battlefield series. But even that's going to be a rushed, buggy product.

Share this comment

Sigh. They really have lost it. As much as I love Simcity, even in the state it is, I can't ignore the stupidity of EA. They literally lost there marbles.

Share this comment

I love the article picture. Ea being in the toilet just like the piece of s*** that is the new sim city 2013. When you destroy a game I grew up loving, I take it personal.

Share this comment

EA will crash and burn and they did it to themselves. It's quite sad really yeah they gave us some great games in the past but like many great things they cant seem to cope with the ever changing world. If they do they fail and they fail big time just like EA are failing before our eyes.

EA are too big for there shoes and I dont think they will admit defeat any time soon so they will just keep on making broken games and ripping customers off till no-one will buy games from them.

All I can say now is thanks to EA and Maxis for those SimCity games they gave us in the past. Take my advice and quit while you are ahead or just listen to people rather than your money trees!

Share this comment

There needs to be a clean sweep at the top.  Dropping the CEO isn't going to fix what the other clowns have done.  Start with the CFO, and work in both directions.

Share this comment

EA will crash and burn and they did it to themselves. It's quite sad really yeah they gave us some great games in the past but like many great things they cant seem to cope with the ever changing world. If they do they fail and they fail big time just like EA are failing before our eyes.

I feel a little more like EA (plural) are the ones who are trying to change it themselves. And not knowing what to do. It's like a child had the power to take over the world somehow. But lacks the intelligence to run it properly. And many of his subjects are now rising against him. 

Share this comment

There needs to be a clean sweep at the top.  Dropping the CEO isn't going to fix what the other clowns have done.  Start with the CFO, and work in both directions.

This I wholeheartedly agree on.  It always starts at the top. 

Share this comment

EA is making excuses.  That's all they're doing when they say things like that.  Leave it to EA to drag real politics into a game.

Share this comment

I swear, it's all downhill from last year. I think EA has hit a new low with SC2013. As stated earlier, just dropping the CEO isn't helping it. If you want to make a good game, you've got to listen to what your fans think more than what you think he "majority" will think.

It's a shame, it really is.

Share this comment