• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

"Planting a forest"

rewright

k8yh.jpg

Some of you have commented on the forested areas in my journal, so here is how I currently

am planting the forests in Addison County, which are somewhat stylized. First though I have

to say two things: this is a technique in development, and I am much less skilled than many

of our fellow journalist. So for better or worse:

First I outline the area which will be covered with forest.

42hm.png

Next I fill in the area with my base cover, leaving some "holes" for the next layer. I use SimFox

Large Plain Trees.

3n0x.png

For the next layer I am using the Pacific Northwest Rain Forest plop trees, which will fill in the

spaces left by the base layer of trees.

u0j0.png

You can also add some detail around the perimeter, like shrubs and fallen logs, etc.

dqh4.png

730z.png

Once you have this done, and have some time, you can add in some more detail like a little pond.

mf6r.png

9id8.png

I hope this is helpful. You will notice some differences between city tiles that reflect the

development of this method. I've had comments about my habit of using the Maxis trees,

and I've realized they are quite bland, so I hope this way of creating forested areas will work out.

Thanks,

Dick

2 Comments

Recommended Comments

That's one solid technique. I'll being adapting that for agricultural cities of my own, but instead I'll be using the God mode ARDEN tree controller for the same effect.

Share this comment