• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

#2 Fairview Mine

CarbonValleyWelcomesign.jpg

Hello, and welcome back to Carbon Valley.. Next entry I'll be showing you just how we got up the valley from Carbon Vista with a tour along the Carbon Valley Scenic Railroad. Today though we're going to explore the area around the #2 Fairview Mine.

C4fairview2mine.jpg

Built in 1915, this mine was started due to increasing coal demands from Europe during the war. The original shaft was rather small and in the 60s they bored straight into the mountain. This 2nd horizontal shaft also doubled as a holding area for hopper trains waiting to be loaded.

C4Mineupclose1.jpg

C4campground.jpg

In the 70s complaints of pollution coming from the mine created a PR nightmare. To stem the bloodletting, the Fairview Mine Corp turned what was once a weather station into small camp ground only a short hike from the nearest road. Their hope of course was that this would show just how much they cared about the environment.

C4campgroundupclose.jpg

This of course back-fired. The increased access to the area brought in more people who in turn do not want to see their beautiful valley marred by the mine's expanding presence.

C4Horseshoecurve.jpg

Coming down the mountain from the mine, as the train cuts through a beautiful valley, the loaded hopper. The trains travel slowly up and down this portion of track due to the tight curves and steep grade. Wouldn't want anything getting out of hand, now would we?

Next time we'll switch gears and visit the beating heart of the valley. The town and industry of Vale Carbon.

This city journal is completely fictional. The region is the Index, WA map available here on the STEX. I chose the map because of it's mountain topography, suiting very well for mines, winding railroads and small towns. Also, it warned of not much build space, and I take that as something of a challenge.

If there's anything you'd like to see more of, or less of for that matter, please say so! I appreciate input and ideas.

11 Comments

Recommended Comments

Thank you! The mine took a bit of creativity with pre-existing lots.I have almost no idea how to use the lot editor and only recently figured out how to make custom trains like that with the iLives reader.

The BN hopper car is pulled from a set by Jestarr77. The mine shaft itself is Big John's mine in the SimPeg MTP series, as are the other buildings in the shot. The tunnel was most difficult to figure out and I finally used a fake tunnel entrance and a 1x3 rail lot filler.

Share this comment