Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The boy formerly known as Evil Muzz

Dunblane-A Decade On

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

A decade ago next week, 16 pupils of Dunblane Primary School were shot as they took part in a PE class in the school gym. 16 pupils and a teacher were shot dead by a gunman who later turned the gun on himself on the 13th of March 1996. Many other children and another teacher were shot and injured, the teacher shot 4 times in the arms shielding the children, but survived and now has full control of her arms again. There has never been such an incident in a UK school since, and I don't think there was ever before. As where I live is only about 50 miles from Dunblane, I remember coming home from school and my mum hugging me really tightly. My dad was in London on business at the time, and the name of where I live also begins with "Dun", so for a split second he probably thought that it had happened at my school. I was only 5 or 6 at the time, the age that the P1 pupils were when they were shot by a known gun holder in the area...

I'm rather confident that this was worldwide news, so where were you and how did you react when you find out?

hmmm...
I never heared of it.
anyways, ehhh... i dont actioly have anything better to say.
exept maybe that im sorry for all the lives lost..
but then again, as you saied, it was 10 ago so I dont think thatll do anything.

ohh well...

I didn't hear about it...maybe because 10 years ago i was 7 years old... hmm.... but I know that people in the west almost don't know anything about murdering old people, women, kids in Chechenia... the russians have killed there something about 1/4 of the population.... but no one cares about it.... and when they(the chechenian terrorists) killed kids in Bieslan everyone knew about it...

And getting back to the tagedy in Dunblane Primary School, well.. that's really sad that happened...

A major change was issued to nursery school design after this incident. Now there is what was commonly known as the "dunblane lobby" where you go into a lobby which has a bullet proof glazing panel so the staff can see who it is and a electronically locked secure door to the nursery from this. It doesn't seem 10 years on, but it is!!!

That's odd. I don't remember it either, but as all the other people have said, they were too young to remember and I was only 5 years old at the time.

That's truly sad to hear of events like that taking (took) place. The most recent school tragedy was the one in Minnesota about a year ago, and the one in southern Russia where those terrorist came in and killed all those innocent kids. That was something I'll never forget.

Wow, guys! I know I just posted something.. but right now in France there is a hostage taking place at a French school... go to your news website to get more details on the matter. What are the chances of that happening 10 years after this other school tragedy... (well, hopefully this French school isn't a tragedy either).

Originally posted by: Micah

Wow, guys! I know I just posted something.. but right now in France there is a hostage taking place at a French school... go to your news website to get more details on the matter. What are the chances of that happening 10 years after this other school tragedy... (well, hopefully this French school isn't a tragedy either).quote>

actioly the chences are realy good.... in the tragic meaning of it....

Unfortunatly its a system of Ignorance, Fashion Fascsim, Jock-O-Rama and a School System that doesent tolerate individuality that produces violence like this, not Marlyn Manson or violent video games, these kids were not "insane" or "sick" they were constantly abused emotionally every day in school, and that is what caused them to act out. i know violence is not right, and i dont believe shooting kids at school is the way to solve the social problems of our youth, but until 1999 it was just a matter of time before something snapped in someone.

500 Channels:

"500 channels of a day-dream stimulation
helps me to resent my life and raise my expectations.
Locked into re-runs, your memories repeating,
and all your ideals seem so self defeating.
For you and yours, the pepsi generation,
and when you're discontent, you change the T.V. station,
And when you hate your life, no qualtities redeeming,
a million brainwashed zombies will always be heard screaming"

-Scott "Stza" Sturgeon, 1993

Originally posted by: The Terminator

Unfortunatly its a system of Ignorance, Fashion Fascsim, Jock-O-Rama and a School System that doesent tolerate individuality that produces violence like this, not Marlyn Manson or violent video games, these kids were not "insane" or "sick" they were constantly abused emotionally every day in school, and that is what caused them to act out. i know violence is not right, and i dont believe shooting kids at school is the way to solve the social problems of our youth, but until 1999 it was just a matter of time before something snapped in someone. 500 Channels: "500 channels of a day-dream stimulation helps me to resent my life and raise my expectations. Locked into re-runs, your memories repeating, and all your ideals seem so self defeating. For you and yours, the pepsi generation, and when you're discontent, you change the T.V. station, And when you hate your life, no qualtities redeeming, a million brainwashed zombies will always be heard screaming"      -Scott "Stza" Sturgeon, 1993quote>

The things is though, the Dunblane Shootings were carried out by a grown man, And I'm talking about Primary (Elementary) school. He just walked in and shot all the little kids who were doing PE in the gym hall. They were only 5 or 6. It wasn't another pupil turning on the pupils like it was at Columbine, it was a fully grown man, he was known to the police to have a gun, and they knew what kind of person he was, but they didn't act.

i remember coming home on that day and hearing about it from my parents, i was 7 then and in year2. Loads of things happened to our school afterwards, all the gates were locked throughout the day and we had new doors and windows put in 15.gif looking back on it, it was truely horriffic here are a couple of links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_Massacre http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/13/newsid_2543000/2543277.stm http://www.archive.official-documents.co.uk/document/scottish/dunblane/dun01.htm http://www.iansa.org/campaigns_events/dunblane_memorial.htm

oh, if it was a grown man shooting little kids, thats just sick. just plain wrong.Even teenagers shooting other teenagers is wrong, but the reasoning between Columbine and this are totally different

I will never forget that day as long as I live - March 13 is my birthday - I turned on the TV as I was opening my birthday gifts, to learn that kids a lot younger than me had been massacred - and this coming monday I will no doubt sit and cry again as I did back then ..............

Now, I remember seeing this in the news, and it reminded of a similar incident in Stockton, CA back in 89' . I think there was an incident like this in Japan too.

I don't know what impact Dunblane had in the U.K., but after Columbine occurred it basically became a new word, a la "he's gonna go Columbine on their #$%@" It's sad on so many levels.

It was basically twisted news to hear about... Grown man killing little kids? He was on the level of a peadophile, or any child-preying-what-you-may-call-it-freak.  I really do not care about social or mental issues that may have 'driven' him, if a person cannot control themselves to the extent that they walk into a school with the intentions to kill, then it is best for them to just die...

If it is just plain freakish exciting to them, then the other criminals in the jail they go to will kill them if the families and freinds dont do it first...

Well I was very young then so I don't remember despite how awful it was. It may may be 10 years on but people in the local area still have not fully managed to come to terms of such a tragedy.