Sign in to follow this  
mayorron

Questions about city making

27 posts in this topic Last Reply

I hope you experts out there could help me about my Region and Cities. So here are my questions. 1) How could you make a Successful Commercial City? 2) How could you make your population grow faster? 3) What really are the stages of construction. i.e. stage 1, 2, 3, to 8? 4) How could you reach stage 8? 5) How to make fast money? 6) Where can you download little streets for parks? i.e. trails and pathways that are smaller than streets. 7) When is skyscrapers gonna pop out? 8) Taroca's Mod If I'm not mistaken by the name, won't let my me have Apartments, Condos, and other type of Residential Buildings, Why is this? I hope you guys could help me, I've been playing SimCity for a while, playing it in my free time. And Sometimes I get frustrated. If you guys have any tips and other things to suggest or point out. Please help me out. Thanks.

Waaaaaaaay to many questions to answer all at once there buddy. Most of them will be answered by reading different help topics and guides in the Omnibus once it is back online (Look above to your right for that one).

Good luck!

Quite a lot of questions, but I figure I can help a little

1. How could you make a successful commercial city?
Your top priority is to increase your city and regional population. Commerce only kicks in quite later in your city's life, when your population is large enough to create commercial demand. Make sure the bulk of your population are R

What's up with the board? It doesn't recognize the spaces I put via the Enter key and just makes it one continuous paragraph.

Edit: I made the original post in Firefox and it became one continuous paragraph. I re-edited it in IE and it's now showing correctly. I guess the new ST has a Firefox issue. 46.gif

Originally posted by: Peorth

What's up with the board? It doesn't recognize the spaces I put via the Enter key and just makes it one continuous paragraph.

Edit: I made the original post in Firefox and it became one continuous paragraph. I re-edited it in IE and it's now showing correctly. I guess the new ST has a Firefox issue. %7Boption%7Dquote>

Yeh ST 5.0 still have a lot of issues, post it in bugs thread under simtropolis related forum.

Commercial growth does not really pick up until around 20,000-30,000 residential population. I also find that zoning vast stretches of residential areas will bring lots of tax revenue. You might want to have a few major streets to separate them and whatnot for traffic reasons. Peorth, if you do decide to make a guide it would be appreciated, and I might be able to help. I also have a question. I have a city pop of 550k and a regional pushing 900+. I'm sure I do have stage 8 buildings, just how do i know when I have them?

Originally posted by: KoolSIM Peorth could write an entire Game-Guide for Simcity 4 all by herself!! quote>
Hehe 18.gif. Actually, I've been thinking of making something like a guide for some of the more thorny SC issues, like dilapidation and such. I think I still need to build more cities though to get a better understanding of SC 9.gif

• Original Poster
  • Hey thanks Peorth. I actually grew a vast Commercial City. I should have made better Transportation Layout though. Since my Downtown is really congested. Tall Skyscrapers appeared when my population was 60,000 and then some even grew taller and "richer" if that's a right term for that when my population was around 100,000. But when i started building a suburb next to that city, my demand for CS$$$ and CO$$$ dropped bigtime why is this?

Originally posted by: bradleybaggins

Commercial growth does not really pick up until around 20,000-30,000 residential population. I also find that zoning vast stretches of residential areas will bring lots of tax revenue. You might want to have a few major streets to separate them and whatnot for traffic reasons. Peorth, if you do decide to make a guide it would be appreciated, and I might be able to help. I also have a question. I have a city pop of 550k and a regional pushing 900+. I'm sure I do have stage 8 buildings, just how do i know when I have them?quote>

Off thy451's Simcity guide:
    Notes 1. Numbers indicate undistressed capacities
              2. Does not include buildings added in Rush Hour expansion

Residential Stage 8 Buildings
    Bell Towers             R$$$ x 658  
    Bennet Apartments  R$ x 2812
    Brown Hi-Rise          R$ x 3120
    Bunker Towers         R$ x 2714
    Byall Tower              R$$$ x 4203
    Copur Apartments     R$$ x 1993
    Graham Apartments  R$$ x 520
    Grossman Apartments R$$ x 1290
    Hamster Tenements   R$ x 2872
    Hi-Rise Apartments  R$$ x 1232
    Jolly Manor              R$$ x 982
    Kauker Manor          R$$$ x 323
    Large Tenement       R$ x 2863
    McCarthy Condos    R$$$ x 2790
    McCormick Place     R$$$ x 557
    New Beginning Apartments   R$ x 798
    O'Hare Apartments   R$$ x 2204
    Ong Condos             R$$$ x 5039
    Project Bootstrap      R$ x 6978
    Project Feelgood       R$ x 2533
    Project Hope            R$ x 1975
    Quigley Place          R$$$ x 823
    Reed Place              R$$ x 1899
    Rock Bottom Terrace R$ x 2280
    Ryan Apartments     R$$ x 915
    Salvation Tower        R$ x 1647
    Simon Manor           R$$ x 486
    The Hogan               R$$ x 375
    The Knight Building   R$$ x 3491
    The Long Building     R$$$ x 277
    The Pratt                  R$$ x 1257
    The Wilkinson          R$$ x 3037
    Walkup Tower          R$$$ x 2572
    Wallace Manor         R$$ x 3767
    Zaidi Apartments      R$$ x 4603

Commercial Stage 8 Buildings

Barthelet Corporation   Co$$$ x 1203
    Brock Furnishings       Co$$$ x 1455
    Brown & Sons.            Co$$ x 718
    Bunch Engineering       Co$$$ x 499
    Cahalane Communications Co$$$ x 5339
    Cameron Cameras       Co$$$ x 2453
    Chong Inc.                  Co$$x4595
    Cinema House            Cs$$x552
    Fisk Insurance            Co$$ x 5752
    Futa Consulting           Co$$$ x 1378
    Grand Hotel                Co$$$ x 297
    Ham LLC                    Co$$x 1670
    Jordan Inn                   CS$$x355
    Kanarowski & Co.        Co$$x 909
    Lillard Audio                Co$$$ x 1455
    Lind Entertainment      Co$$$ x 5796
    McClellan Inc.             Co$$x 6798
    Pedriana Pharmaceuticals Co$$$ x 7103
    Reamon Plaza            Co$$$ x 2117
    The Galvin Corp          Co$$$ x 1675
    Trottier Trading            Co$$$ x 1865
    Tsang Accountants      Co$$ x 1752
    van Prooijen Trading     Co$$$ x 4533
    Vu Financial                Co$$ x 4343
    Waco Co.                   Co$$ x 6536
    Wren Insurance           Co$$$ x 1401
    Yates Real Estate       Co$$$ x 1203

Originally posted by: mayorron

Hey thanks Peorth. I actually grew a vast Commercial City. I should have made better Transportation Layout though. Since my Downtown is really congested. Tall Skyscrapers appeared when my population was 60,000 and then some even grew taller and "richer" if that's a right term for that when my population was around 100,000. But when i started building a suburb next to that city, my demand for CS$$$ and CO$$$ dropped bigtime why is this?quote>

If you added any commercial zones outside of your commercial city, they will naturally draw some demand away from it. However, if it's purely residential, it might be that your'e just experiencing a natural downswing. Another possibility could be that the sims that moved in are R

Firstly, sorry for my bad English - I'am Ukrainian and don't know it well yet 15.gif I would like to ask about a building sizes in Rush Hour expansion: what are the maximal sizes for R/C/I buildings? I.e., now in my city presents a couple R sky-scrapers wich are 3x4 tiles size; and some HT industry buildings, wich are 3x5 size, but I think it's not a limit... And I don't know, what R/C/I zone sizes to make, when planing city 15.gif Now I'am sizing an 6x6 R blocks, 6x6 C, and 5x5 I (except agricultural), but I feel that this is wrong, because on the certain stage the development will stop because of the luck of space for building... Will be thankful for advice... P.S. Playing in RH expansion without any mods, except NAM.

Guys, this is a very interesting issue. I've found that SC4 'wants' to build a certain size building at different times. For instance, in a R$$ only city, your transition is from 3x2 houses to 2x2 houses, to 1x3 and 1x2 houses, to 1x2 'rowhomes' to 3x2 small condos (which eventually begin to take up 2x2 instead.)

I found I had an issue when I made all of my zones 1x3's... I would have no problem getting the basic 3x2 houses and the 1x3's, but because the rowhomes do not develop in a 1x3 spot, i would not see them even though I had R$$ demand. So if the area was small enogh I would reach an impasse until the regional population allowed the condos to develop.

A problem you might experience is, for instance, you get those nifty 2x4 commercial zones when zoning (I'm assuming no mods are being used, or cheats.) and even though you have C demand, nothing develops...

You could raise desirability all that you want, but if the building that builds in that spot can't be built right now, it will remain un-developed. For instance, the dumbest C zone ever is a 1x4 zone. I thought it was cool at first, but it never developed.

So I think you might be asking, 'how big are these stage 8's?' My suggestion, and what I have found works well, is to use a system similar to the 'grid tutorial' system in the Game Experiments forum.

I like having sets of 3x1's, such as 6 in a row (making in effect a 3x6 zone) then adding a little later a pair of 3x1's on the edge to make the total area 4x6, which is the largest thing I have ever seen. I have two 'Art Deco House's, one each in two of my wealthy cities, and they are 4x6. You can find bigger stuff in the STEX.

It looks kinda like:

rrrrrrrr
    r^^^^^^r
    r||||||r
    r||||||r
    r<---->r
    r      r
    r      r
    rrrrrr

This ain't no gospel, but it seems conducive to larger structures. I'm sure they threw in a 6x6 there somewhere just to give me a headache... 2.gif

Originally posted by: Snike

Firstly, sorry for my bad English - I'am Ukrainian and don't know it well yet

I would like to ask about a building sizes in Rush Hour expansion: what are the maximal sizes for R/C/I buildings? I.e., now in my city presents a couple R sky-scrapers wich are 3x4 tiles size; and some HT industry buildings, wich are 3x5 size, but I think it's not a limit... And I don't know, what R/C/I zone sizes to make, when planing city Now I'am sizing an 6x6 R blocks, 6x6 C, and 5x5 I (except agricultural), but I feel that this is wrong, because on the certain stage the development will stop because of the luck of space for building...

Will be thankful for advice...

P.S. Playing in RH expansion without any mods, except NAM.quote>

As long as you have at least a 4x4 area, you should encounter little problem. All the stage 8 buildings are sized 4x4 or less. However there are a couple of buildings in SC4 that grow larger than 4x4. These includes the like of Lee Shopping Mall (CS

Yeh, thanks to ya'll, especially Peorth, cos with your advices i've finally made a city, that creates enough profit and has a high CO-population...

Originally posted by: mayorron I hope you experts out there could help me about my Region and Cities. So here are my questions. 1) How could you make a Successful Commercial City? 2) How could you make your population grow faster? 3) What really are the stages of construction. i.e. stage 1, 2, 3, to 8? 4) How could you reach stage 8? 5) How to make fast money? 6) Where can you download little streets for parks? i.e. trails and pathways that are smaller than streets. 7) When is skyscrapers gonna pop out? 8) Taroca's Mod If I'm not mistaken by the name, won't let my me have Apartments, Condos, and other type of Residential Buildings, Why is this? I hope you guys could help me, I've been playing SimCity for a while, playing it in my free time. And Sometimes I get frustrated. If you guys have any tips and other things to suggest or point out. Please help me out. Thanks.quote>

Almost every question in this post can be answered in the Making Money the Easy Way Tutorial. (Anyone following my posts knows I always reference the most useful tutorial I could find on the Omnibus. Not to detract from Peorth's wonderful reply, but I send most basic questions to that tutorial.) It helped me a TON and what can't be explained with text alone is represented by the graphics.

Peorth: Excellent reply, by the way!

Hi to all, again.

It's good known to all, that such things, as parks provide a boost to R development; plazas - for C development...

Attention - question 4.gif Is there any things can be builded, that will provide boost to industry? Maybe trees? Or I development can be upgraded only by playing with taxes and demand from population?

I didn't meaned the boost of path Dirty->Manufacturing->Hi-Tech. I mean, is there possibility to boost quantity of growing industries with some buildings near industry zones...

No, simply don't want to waste forum with new topics 4.gif