Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gnargenox

No road connections on new residential growth

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • It seems strange to me, but lately I've had trouble with "no road connection" zots appearing over newly zoned and also upgrade growth for most residential buildings. I do have alot of plugins though, and it might be realated to custom content somehow. The zots disappear quickly after re-laying a road or street over the existing one next to the zoned area. If I wait and don't lay a new road, the zot will still eventually disappear. Not all residential growth gets zots, just about half I'd say. This goes for all the cities in my region too. I've had building abandoned, then re-infested with poor sims after laying a new road. This makes my cities look pretty drab and dingy. I'm hoping this problem will go away after removeing the suspect lot or modd. Just wondered if anyone else has had this experience and might shed some light on what I need to do to fix it. TIA

A road top mass transit lots in the front of a residential lot is among the causes of the no road connection zots. In other cases, It may have been a bug in the game that I am still trying to investigate.

I know exactly what you're talking about. In my experience, this problem has more to do with city size than custom content. As a city gets bigger the CPU has to do more acrobatics to keep up with comute calculations. I had simply chalked up the no road zot to lag since I have only observed the problem in my big cities and it goes away after a few game months. It is annoying though since sometimes over eager sims build on these no zotted squares before the game registers that they are connected. They then promptly abandon the home and it dilapatates and sometimes takes years and years to recover. For me, this is just an annoyance and not a real problem, but if you find a solution or a culpurit in your custom content please post.

• Original Poster
  • I do believe you're correct as the CPU being the culprit. My cities are all tangled webs of the M.C. Escher style. Through my experiments, I've noticed this doesn't always happen to the same buildings over and over like a mass transportation lot would be affecting it. But I did notice my CPU is from the bronze-age, a 600mhz PIII w/ 448MB RAM.

I always run my cities at the slowest speed too. Other experimenting showed me that cities run at different speeds grow alot differently. I believe when I installed the NAM modd I was asked what kind of road capacity and speed limit I wanted for roads and highways. I think I picked something in the middle, like 10x capacity and speed and moderate path finding capabilities. It could be that that's too much for my computer's brain to handle.

As typical for most real life problems, it seems I just simply need to throw money at it, like a good mayor should 4.gif

After reading the original post, I would say it looks to me like a classic example of high commute time. Check your commute time. If it gets to be above, I believe it's 90 minutes to two hours you will see massive abandonment. I have heard this described and had it myself briefly. Try to decrease your commute time. You could add bus stops or an extra stop of any various mass transit that you happen to be using. Another possibilty is that you could do a little demolition. Tear down a central location in your residential area. Now put in a commercial zoning of the same density. This will relocate your jobs, and help prevent abandonment. As for the no road zot, I do get that occasionally, but it goes away eventually. Good luck.

I do think it is a problem with large complex cities, I have never had the problem with abandonment, though. I notice it most when I change the roads to oneway roads, it takes awhile for the sims to figure out how to go around the block. 9.gif