Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aurabolt12

No one is using my rails!

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • No one is using my railroads!26.gif
    I have freight stations in my industrial zones, touching a road. There is a rail touching/surrounding the station, which goes to another station to the other side of the map and also into the neighboring city, where there's a station near some commercial development.

Can someone give me a quick rails tutorial? Maybe one on subways too? They're probably similar.. thanks.

Aww... if you have roads that go to the same place. Sims and freight perfer the roads. Trains only work when there is a TON of industry going long distances. I think it's suppose to be an alternative to congested roadways in big cities. Not sure. But trains are very difficult.

trains only get used if they are a quicker way out of town (freight trains anyways) than a road access...if the frieght has to travel to the station then get abord the rails and then out of town, and this route is longer than road acess...it won't get used...which sounds like the case here

personelly i skip the frieght station...i consider them nothing more than eye candy...cuz if you run the rail through your industry zone...and the ind touches the railroad tracks...it will automaticly load onto the rails...no frieght station needed 29.gif 

ps...i sometimes cut or enlongate road acess through the industry zones so the rail will be the fastest and/or the only route possible

• Original Poster
  • Ok, thanks. I assume the same is for passenger trains?
    Does that also mean that no passenger train stations are needed either? If the rail touches the zones? So the same rail could be used for both freight and passengers, since there are no stations differentiating them?

No, instead of freight, wich is only exported, your vilages might want to use the train to get to work and back. So it does work to have a pasenger station in your industrial zone. And if you have a good railwayconnection outside your city there should be freight exported too.

no passanger trains need stations or you will have no passangers...and they unlike frieght do travel back and forth between cities , frieght just has to leave the city, andwhich you will need passanger stations in both town if you want to the sims to comute using rail or two in the same city if you wish to have innercity rail travel

personelly I use passanger rail a lot and have many many staion in 1 town...even med size ones10.gif