14 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Hello community !!

I have a "big problem" which drives me crazy ... really !!! :( On my station there are these yellow artifacts and I don´t now why...  I couldn ´t figure out what causes them.

I changed the illumination map ... (that one drives me crazy too btw.), put "borders" (black lines) between the different textures on the diffuse map, loaded the mesh into the

asset editor without an illumination and specular- map and I also reduced the size of the faces during the unwrapp to have room between the different textures on the diffuse map.

Nothing worked ... with every attempt these yellow artifacts were always there.

The diffuse map has a size of 512 x 5120 ... could that be the cause of it ?

If anyone has a solution, that would be much appreciated .... :) Thanks in advance ...

help1.jpg

https://picload.org/view/dlaapppl/help1.png.html

Cheers

• Original Poster
  • hey...

yes, it works fine. The only problem are these yellow "things/lines/artifacts" on some parts of the object. I came up with this texture resolution because I needed some texture space plus the ability to use the area outside of the 0-1 UV space. That way I was able to do better textures and to reduce the tris of the model by 4K.

Diffuse texture  ... 5b5c71b8d3cdd_Pln03_d.thumb.png.2c8129d89c92d11d3e6f668c4089d8a4.png

Cheers ...

• Original Poster
  • Hello again !

Problem solved ... it was caused by the textures, at least thats what I think. I ´ve changed the texture to a 512x4096 with the result, that the artifacts are not apearing ...

I hoped, that there is another explanation or solution... but I think, that I have to live with the lower resolution ... :/ :(

Thanks anyway ! :)

6 hours ago, Clus said:

Hello again !

Problem solved ... it was caused by the textures, at least thats what I think. I ´ve changed the texture to a 512x4096 with the result, that the artifacts are not apearing ...

I hoped, that there is another explanation or solution... but I think, that I have to live with the lower resolution ... :/ :(

Thanks anyway ! :)

Considering the devs recommend not going over 2048x2048 i think you're lucky the compression works at all

• Original Poster
  • hi BP.

I knew that texture sizes above 2048x2048 are not recommended, but there are some assets on the workshop that work fine with textures, which are bigger than 2048px at one axis. So I decided to do simple math and choose a file size which is smaller than 2048x2048 in "total pixel space" or "quare pixels" if you would call it like that. 

Its 4194304 pixels for the 2048x2048 and only 2621440 for the 512x5120 .... so its 1572864 square -pixels less than on the 2048x2048 map ...

I am still new to these kind of things and it was just an attempt to do a "good" texture for my asset... sadly it didn´t work as I wanted it to do. But at least I tried ... ;)

Cheers ...

6 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

Considering the devs recommend not going over 2048x2048 i think you're lucky the compression works at all

512x5120 is smaller than 2048x2048, also 2048 isn't some magic number, it's completely arbitrary.

I did a lot of testing on this so that I could actually give a correct recommendation on cslmodding.info. The compression will work on any image which is divisible by 32 on both axis, not sure why it's not 4 (because dxt compression works in blocks of 4x4) but I suspect it might have something to do with mip maps. I still don't fully understand how it works and what the recommendation should be. I also used to think lod textures only work with powers of 2 because of the atlas generation, but that is also not the case.

1 hour ago, Clus said:

hi BP.

I knew that texture sizes above 2048x2048 are not recommended, but there are some assets on the workshop that work fine with textures, which are bigger than 2048px at one axis. So I decided to do simple math and choose a file size which is smaller than 2048x2048 in "total pixel space" or "quare pixels" if you would call it like that. 

Its 4194304 pixels for the 2048x2048 and only 2621440 for the 512x5120 .... so its 1572864 square -pixels less than on the 2048x2048 map ...

I am still new to these kind of things and it was just an attempt to do a "good" texture for my asset... sadly it didn´t work as I wanted it to do. But at least I tried ... ;)

Cheers ...

Yeah going over 2048 in one axis is not a problem at all, the weird thing is not using a powers of 2, but still even non powers of 2 dimensions should work as long as they can be divided by 32. The only thing I've found is some vague "gpus are made to work with powers of 2" so I'm not sure what the actual consequences of using a non powers of 2 dimension is.

If anybody understands more about dxt compression and how this game handles it, I'd like to know more, cause right now the recommendation on cslmodding.info is kinda vague and not well explained.

Also none of this explains the yellow texture bleeding over there, the compression clearly worked, as it is very obvious when it doesn't work, and that red part is not even close to the yellow on the actual image, can you send the asset or the import files as they were with that problem? I want to see what happened there.

10 hours ago, Ronyx69 said:

512x5120 is smaller than 2048x2048, also 2048 isn't some magic number, it's completely arbitrary

I thought it might have more to do with length and width maximums not area equivalents. If the size of the textures is the only thing that varies from a normal import then logic dictates that that is the problem.  But maybe there's something else you're just not aware of atm

• Original Poster
  • @Ronyx69 

Yes of course ... You can have the files. I' ll put everything together tomorrow. Do you want all the files ? Main mesh plus lod mesh? Shell I pack it in to a rar file and send it to you ?

Well I checked out what you sent me and that dark piece above the tiles on the texture posted in this thread is a much brighter and more saturated yellow on the version you sent me, so I can see that bleeding over at extreme angles. It's more obvious if I turn off anisotropy but it still doesn't look the same so I'm not sure.

Either way it's probably just the usual mip mapping / lack of anisotropy texture bleed, which is going to be much less noticeable ingame using sharp textures and also dynamic resolution.

4 minutes ago, Ronyx69 said:

Well I checked out what you sent me and that dark piece above the tiles on the texture posted in this thread is a much brighter and more saturated yellow on the version you sent me, so I can see that bleeding over at extreme angles. It's more obvious if I turn off anisotropy but it still doesn't look the same so I'm not sure.

Either way it's probably just the usual mip mapping / lack of anisotropy texture bleed, which is going to be much less noticeable ingame using sharp textures and also dynamic resolution.

Just on an incidental and unrelated topic:

Ronyx you know the randomized props in the vanilla game.  Is it possible to 1. Make your own set of random custom props (assign different meshes to be randomized) 

And do you think this randomized behavior could be set to sub meshes similar to a flag requirement- on created use a random mesh out of a set?

4 minutes ago, Bad Peanut said:

Just on an incidental and unrelated topic:

Ronyx you know the randomized props in the vanilla game.  Is it possible to 1. Make your own set of random custom props (assign different meshes to be randomized) 

And do you think this randomized behavior could be set to sub meshes similar to a flag requirement- on created use a random mesh out of a set?

It's not meshes, it's just multiple props assigned as variations to the main prop: https://cslmodding.info/asset/prop/#variations (also video on prop variations linked on right sidebar)

For sub meshes - not really, there are some flags that could be useful for variation-like stuff in some situations like the different fill up levels of a land fill or cemetary but not random as with the prop variations.

You can just make a variation prop and then put that on your building, just like the randomized ac units, you can also place props precisely using this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1361644472

• Original Poster
  • @Ronyx69 

Ok thanks ! Good to know ;) ... but I have to admit that I have very little knowledge regarding these things/procedures etc. Secondly, I haven t tested the final result with that mods active,  because I do all my testings with a second steam account and a mainly vanilla version of the game. But thanks anyway !!! I hope that others could benefit from your results ... My own conclusion/benefit from this is, that I won t go above 4096 px on one axis anymore... ;) That way everything should work fine in the future ... 

Btw. Its always fun to create these things with blender .... but doing the textures is always something superfluous which I would like to leave out ... :P