Sign in to follow this  
Pytharchimedes

NAM Install

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello all,

I ran into a bit of a problem in that when I was installing my NAM a process for SC4 was running in the background so when it went to assign more memory for the game to use to help with the NAM it said "can not run executable".  So I dont think it was able to do it, I even tried a reinstall and it never asked me to assign the memory again.

Now it also seems that my game is slowed down so I am wondering how can I assign more memory or whatever it was that the install tried to do?

Thanks in advance

If you mean the 4gb patch, it may have been applied when you started the install process. If I'm understanding correctly, once it has been done, it won't ask again on subsequent installations. As for the executable error, was it during the NAM installation? It may not have been able to proceed if SC4 was running.

• Original Poster
  • If you mean the 4gb patch, it may have been applied when you started the install process. If I'm understanding correctly, once it has been done, it won't ask again on subsequent installations. As for the executable error, was it during the NAM installation? It may not have been able to proceed if SC4 was running.

It was like a message when I installed NAM that said something along the lines

"this mod makes the game use more memory or something and it was going allow the game to use more memory by doing something" 

It prompts you right before the actual install, but I had an error when I did it for my main computer and then even when re installing it doesn't seem to give me the prompt to make the change anymore even though when it tried to do it the first time there was an error.

What exactly is the 4GB patch?

The 4 GB patch allows the SC4 process to use 4 GB of memory instead of the standard 2 GB of memory routinely allocated to 32-bit processes.  It is necessary for stability when using NAM 31 and higher; without it, your game may be subject to unexpected crashes.

In your NAM folder, you should have a subfolder named "Tools", and within that, a program called "4gb_patch.exe".  Please run this program to ensure that your game is properly patched.  If you have problems running it, let us know.

If I understand the OP correctly, SC4 was running while trying to install the NAM.  If this is true, why?  Does it make sense to try to update a program that is running and has already loaded the plugins?  It is possible that some file the installer tried to access was locked.

• Original Poster
  • If I understand the OP correctly, SC4 was running while trying to install the NAM.  If this is true, why?  Does it make sense to try to update a program that is running and has already loaded the plugins?  It is possible that some file the installer tried to access was locked.

My brother was playing the game beforehand and when you shut down the game in Steam it leaves a Simcity 4 process running in the background, and yeah it said "can not run executable".

The 4 GB patch allows the SC4 process to use 4 GB of memory instead of the standard 2 GB of memory routinely allocated to 32-bit processes.  It is necessary for stability when using NAM 31 and higher; without it, your game may be subject to unexpected crashes.

In your NAM folder, you should have a subfolder named "Tools", and within that, a program called "4gb_patch.exe".  Please run this program to ensure that your game is properly patched.  If you have problems running it, let us know.

I don't see a folder labeled "Tools", it goes from "Street Addon Mod" to "Turning Lanes" in the NAM Folder? Any idea why it wouldn't be there?

Incomplete installation.  If you have an SC4 process hanging around, kill it.  Open the task manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL), right click the process and choose 'end process'.  Then just run the NAM installer again.

• Original Poster
  • Incomplete installation.  If you have an SC4 process hanging around, kill it.  Open the task manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL), right click the process and choose 'end process'.  Then just run the NAM installer again.

I did that like 3 times, the problem is it doesn't give me the prompt at all anymore that it gave me the first time.

• Original Poster
  • I may have fixed it, I went to this site http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php and just downloaded and applied the patch to my executable. If I use Simcity Launcher do I have to apply it to that executable as well, anyone know?

Thanks for the help also guys.

*edit* Nevermind, even after patching the executable when I run the game when I move around the map the calender does not even advance untill a few moments after stopping scrolling around. Something is definitely wrong I guess.

If I were to do a complete re-install, can someone tell me how to save a region I have been working on?

I may have fixed it, I went to this site http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php and just downloaded and applied the patch to my executable. If I use Simcity Launcher do I have to apply it to that executable as well, anyone know?

Thanks for the help also guys.

*edit* Nevermind, even after patching the executable when I run the game when I move around the map the calender does not even advance untill a few moments after stopping scrolling around. Something is definitely wrong I guess.

If I were to do a complete re-install, can someone tell me how to save a region I have been working on?

Just copy the "SimCity 4" folder in your Documents and put it in a safe place.  That will keep your regions and plugins safe.

What you probably should have done in the first place was just manually uninstalled the NAM before reinstalling it.  Too late now though.

• Original Poster
  • Oh well, did a full game reinstall and I still do not have a Subfolder "Tools" in my NAM folder, can someone give me the direct path to where that file is located? Full install from SC Devotion and I cant seem to find it.

I see - looking at the installer, the tools aren't installed on subsequent installations, because it thinks you don't need them.  I'll fix that for NAM 32, so that the Tools subfolder will always be there.  In the mean time, if you run the NAM uninstall routine and then do an installation from scratch, you'll get both the Tools subfolder and a prompt from the installer to run the patch.

Or you could simply download the 4 GB patch from this page.  You should do this directly only if you're running a 64-bit version of Windows; otherwise, it won't work.

• Original Poster
  • I see - looking at the installer, the tools aren't installed on subsequent installations, because it thinks you don't need them.  I'll fix that for NAM 32, so that the Tools subfolder will always be there.  In the mean time, if you run the NAM uninstall routine and then do an installation from scratch, you'll get both the Tools subfolder and a prompt from the installer to run the patch.

Or you could simply download the 4 GB patch from this page.  You should do this directly only if you're running a 64-bit version of Windows; otherwise, it won't work.

I will try this thanks alot.