Mithrik

Rate the Song: Take Two!

572 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am aware of the existence of a similar thread, but I didn't like too much what come to be of it, as it seems it wasn't really organized and the rules were added on the go, so instead of necroposting and bringing it back to the top, I decided to make a second one, which hopefully will be better.

THE GAME IS VERY SIMPLE:

1. You listen to the song of the post above.

2. You rate said song on a given criteria.

3. You post a new song, so the next person can rate it.

4. Rinse and repeat.

THE RULES

> Use a 1 to 10 scale or similar to rate. You can use decimals if you want to.

> Post a link to the song you will post, or get embed a video of it in your post, if there is one. Having just a name is no use.

> Your post can be ignored either if you don't rate the song above you, or if you forget to post a song of your own.

> Don't post a song that is extremely long. Maximum fifteen minutes (The limit for standard YouTube videos).

> Finally, Add a comment with the rating you give, even if it's just a "Meh", so we know your opinion of the song you just rated.

Note: It doesn't need to be a song, whatever music you wish to post is OK. Also, it's optional to name the author/name of the song, but it's recommended if you just post a link.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, so let's begin this, and since I am the first poster, I don't have to rate something.

80%

I'm a big fan of electronic music, but I always say yes for classic rock. Pink Floyd are... just... amazing!

Speaking about electronic music. Tiberian Sun released in 1999. It's one of the greatest R.T.S. games ever made, with plenty of epic futuristic tracks. Dusk Hour is my favorite, made by Frank Klepacki and Jarrid Mendelson.

60%

Nice song :)

The next song is Rainy Day by Frank Klepacki. This is the first song ever composed by him, unreleased and never before heard by the public until now. This is the track that began his career as a composer. It was originally a rough 4-track recording, now completely re-recorded for best quality.

95% No wonder why this is a classic!

Here's one song of Anouk that's less well-known by the dutch public, but it's a song I really like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_qUI9PrzI8

70% Not too bad, light and the vocals have got a nice hook to them. Not sure if I'd add them to my library though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtQcyh5wHSI

8.5/10

You know what I like ROFLyoshi and while it's somewhat different from the post-rock vibes I'm on, it still retains some of those elements. You really hit the spot with this one!

90%

I love John Lennon!

John Carpenter - Assault on Precinct 13 (theme)

50%

Nothing wrong with it, but I have never seen the film it's from, so my appreciation of it is thus severely limited because I lack the appropriate context.

Okay, now let's try something a bit different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdpCnRSeshU

8/10

I was grown up with this song. Vanilla Ice's version is terrible!

Jessie Ware - Wildest Moments

7/10. Nothing too special, but it works well and I like the song.

OK, here's one of mine, home-cooked music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBfAnA6b0SM&list=HL1377986227&feature

• Original Poster
  • 7.5/10

I don't listen to Eagles, so this is the first time I hear something from them that is not Hotel California, and it was pretty good, but I felt like that song extends for more than what it was worth after the 3:15 mark, otherwise it would be a very catchy song.

This one is from a Gorillaz Live Performance, with a small "surprise" there... :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAT_2pgD6NA

70%

That's a fine song. Well, what did we expect from Gorillaz?

I know, the next song is HUGE, but I love it. Klaus Schulze - Synphara

70%

Not my cup of tea, but still great :)

Evangelos Odysseas Papathanassiou, professionally known as Vangelis, is a Greek composer of electronic, progressive, ambient, jazz, pop rock, and orchestral music. He is best known for his Academy Award-winning score for the film Chariots of Fire, composing scores for the films Antarctica, Blade Runner, 1492: Conquest of Paradise and Alexander, and the use of his music in the PBS documentary Cosmos: A Personal Voyage by Carl Sagan.

Let's hear Metallic Rain, from his album Direct.

6.5/10

Nice and atmospheric, but I've heard far better space music before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyHqGmwY8hg

8.5/10

You know what I like ROFLyoshi and while it's somewhat different from the post-rock vibes I'm on, it still retains some of those elements. You really hit the spot with this one!

Ah yes, nothing like a bit of Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Funnily enough I've been listening to a fair bit of Anathema and God is an Astronaut as of recent.

7.5/10 Not something I could listen to all the time, but nonetheless nice and relaxing. I do enjoy it!

6.5/10

Nice and atmospheric, but I've heard far better space music before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyHqGmwY8hg

8.5/10

Ah yes, nothing like a bit of Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Funnily enough I've been listening to a fair bit of Anathema and God is an Astronaut as of recent.

Recently I've been listening to quite a number of God is an Astronaut and The Cinematic Orchestra. Speaking of which...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqoANESQ4cQ

Enjoy! :)

2/10

When it ended all I could think was FINALLY.  I felt like I was watching the world's longest Lexus commercial.  Or the most dramatic part of a dramatic movie dragged on for almost eternity, but really only 8 minutes that felt like eternity.  Too breezy, needed much bigger brass ones.  I mean, brass, like trumpets and stuff.

Anyways, here you are, TOKYO JIHEN, living proof that not all JPop is garbage:

And I chose one of their English songs, (新しい文明開化 or "Brand New Civilization" in English) so you can understand what she's talking about, too.

Unfortunately Spidey, you're going to have to get a null rating for that since according to YouTube "The uploader has not made this video available in your country".

Moving on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJHn5tSZzoE

You can ignore everything after 3:15, the video has a bunch of silence tacked onto the end for no apparent reason.