Sign in to follow this  
apeek

Consequences of Voting

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'd like some clarification on the exact consequences my rating of a particular upload has on its creator.  Other than a proverbial high-five or perhaps an occasional wet-willy, does it have any real impact on their privileges or relationships here on simtropolis or otherwise?  I recently learned the hard way that my individual vote is visible to the submitter.  As a developer, I understand the sense of pride that becomes attached to the product of one's energy and devotion.  I also know an artist's work is subjective and never really finished.  That being said, I get the impression that a lot (no pun intended) is riding on that row of little gold stars.  Do the batters, lotters, and modders receive a piece of my $50 pie?  Are they offered or denied opportunities based on their perceived contribution to what really amounts to a game?  Your response is appreciated and will influence my feedback going forth.

As well as giving feedback to the author, the rating feature is supposed to represent the quality of an upload. Although ratings are a subjective figure, they can help show this. I agree, ratings can be a source of pride. But in my opinion, authors should only take them as a guideline, and never personally. Quite often, an upload's comments / reviews can provide more informative feedback than the rating.

Other than this, ratings have no further implications on the author. So in other regards, they can be considered superficial. The author's membership privileges are not affected by them directly. As long as the upload complies with site rules (e.g. is not plagiarised), no consequences can result.

As you may know, every year here at Simtropolis we have the Trixie Awards. These reward members who have positively impacted the community. All members are entitled to a Trixie, which are given based on a vote. There are awards for different categories, including the "Builder Awards" - for custom content creators. For example, BAT of the year, mod of the year and most creative lotter. Anyone can nominate a member for an award. So again, it depends on each person's own opinion.

I'd say severe consequences arise when you rate a BAT poorly but do not give an explanation as to why, or rather, if many people do this. As long as a poor rating or a good rating is justly warranted and you can explain yourself, there should be no severe repercussions. The worst that can happen is you get yelled at over the internet by a content creator.

No one can see what you rate a file.

Ratings comments and downloads makes the uploader feel appreciated and a lack of those things leaves the uploader feeling that no one cares whether or not they make and share things.

imo, in order to promote good vibes, if you like something enough to download it you should rate it.