Sign in to follow this  
A Nonny Moose

Gibraltar - a Thorn in Spain's Fundament?

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Pretty sure they can't get away with that, given that such a thing would violate EU law. 

But then again, the UK has opted out of so many EU laws, so it might just be that they could do this. Which I would personally find hilarious. Thats what you get for cherry picking what law you like and which one you don't. 

But I think it's more likely that this is just Spain sending a message to the UK. 

These little overseas enclaves that some countries have are interesting because while they don't geographically make sense, there is always some history to why they exist. Thing is, usually such territories are an island or group of islands. Gibraltar has the oddity of sharing a land border with Spain... which would be a minor detail if not for the fact that the UK is still not part of Schengen and thus it is still a regulated border.

Still, it pales in comparison to the drama that exists across the strait with Ceuta and Melilla, controlled by Spain but attached to Morocco. 

These little overseas enclaves that some countries have are interesting because while they don't geographically make sense, there is always some history to why they exist. Thing is, usually such territories are an island or group of islands. Gibraltar has the oddity of sharing a land border with Spain... which would be a minor detail if not for the fact that the UK is still not part of Schengen and thus it is still a regulated border.

Still, it pales in comparison to the drama that exists across the strait with Ceuta and Melilla, controlled by Spain but attached to Morocco. 

There are plenty of examples like that. 

Look at this vid for the Netherlands :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc

Another nicely executed maneuvre by the Spanish goverment to distract the media attention off the party-wide corruption scandal case they're currently suffering. 

When the papers and TV channels talk too much about the governing party (PP or PSOE, it's the same dogs with different collar), it's time to "invent" some controversy in order to make people turn its eyes to another place. Gibraltar is an old example of that, given that it is a sensitive topic for the most nationalistic elements of Spanish society. 

If you ask to me, GIbraltar is a remnant of the past, but if the Gibraltarians are happy being part of the UK (a colony of the UK, formally), I have no problem with that.

Gibraltar has the oddity of sharing a land border with Spain... which would be a minor detail if not for the fact that the UK is still not part of Schengen and thus it is still a regulated border.

Not part of Schengen treaty, but the Spain-Gibraltar border has been during the last 20-30 years just a fence and an airstrip. Crossing the border was as easy as crossing the Spanish-French border, not a big deal; just because a whole lot of people work on one side and live on the other.

Ceuta and Melilla cases are truly different because the 5-meter-high fences are there to prevent inmigrant avalanches to cross to the Spanish side and arrive to the developed and rich Spain [/irony]. There is the real drama.

• Original Poster
  • Well, Gibraltar is a major naval base for the RN, and its history is of being conquered too long ago to care by now.  I am not sure that when the British arrived there, there were anything but Barbary apes and pirates.

Well, Gibraltar is a major naval base for the RN, and its history is of being conquered too long ago to care by now.  I am not sure that when the British arrived there, there were anything but Barbary apes and pirates.

Gibraltar and the island of Minorca (which was later returned to Spain) became part of the Kingdom of Great Britain quite a long time ago, in year 1713, via the Treaty of Utrecht. Upon this treaty, Spanish possessions in Europe (the Netherlands, Milano, Sardinia, etc.) were handed over to other powers like the British or the German Empire.

Anyways, before the British rule prior to 1713, the whole area was on a clear decline. Given that North African territories at the other side of the Strait of Gibraltar were actually territories under Spanish rule, there was no point for having an important stronghold or naval base in Gibraltar.

• Original Poster
  • In the 1700s, I seem to recall that the Bourbon dynasty was ruling both Spain and France, so having a base at the entry to the Med would have been extremely important to the Royal Navy.  We all should know that there was no real love lost between the Bourbons and the British crown at that time.  The French have been a Royal Pain for long time, and alliances notwithstanding, things haven't really changed all that much.

Gibraltar should remain British. It's our rock not theirs. As to corruption I think that needs to be destroyed swiftly and mercilessly. 

I don't know much about the situation in Spain beside the youth unemployment thing but complaining about an enclave that has existed since the 1700s will not solve their corruption scandal.

• Original Poster
  • Makes a good diversion to take attention from the main issues.  Argentina tried that with the Falkland Islands, too.

@Mark_Kochan, @elavery: Gibraltar and Falkland Islands should belong to the nation their inhabitants want. If one doesn't feel confortable living thousands of miles off the metropolis, it should be their right to be capable of deciding which nation they want to belong to. And if they decided to remain British, it's their decision and nobody has the right to step into it.

@A Nonny Moose: This was what I referred in my first post to.