Sign in to follow this  
jas19illini

Service Roads

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Can these be used by your trade depot/port trucks to export goods out of your city?

But you can use them for your trucks to avoid traffic, just plop them down when you are editing for example an oil rig, and make them go close to your trade depot, like in my city I have one running on the bottom outskirts of my city past the dump and recycling center and then to a regular road near my depot, no cars will drive on them! :D

someone in a previous thread pointed out that using the rubbish dump or oil refinery in edit mode (probably dont need to use edit mode just make sure its connected to said building), to add a dirt road, will allow incoming\outgoing freight "such as oil delivers" to power plants... i still haven't go around to testing this but i have seen freight delivery trucks doing laps on my oil field so i am pretty sure it would work.

some how i suspect this is not intended and may be patched, lets just hope that if this is the case then they "Fix" it by adding service roads that only allow emergency and freight vehicles. bus lanes, decent road connection options, and a way to control tunnels and bridges wouldn't hurt with said fix o.O..

Spend over $4m yesterday trying to get a bridge to go exactly how i wanted it (damn razer mice and being prone to double click!!) went bankrupt trying lol, haven't played since.

I read about trucks using service roads so I tried that experiment last night on a mining town.

I have a city that has lots of ore with four mines and two smelters with trade port.    I was having issues with smelters running out of coal because I was importing it from trade depot, trucks getting stuck in city traffic.

Since mines and smelters don't have any service roads, I placed a garbage dump and drew service roads everywhere for the trucks to use.   It didn't work.  None of the trade deport/port trucks used the service roads.   

I assume then that trade port/depot trucks must stay on regular roads and that service roads are only for oil/garbage trucks then.

AFAIK, trucks that are entering/leaving the city (i.e. importing/exporting) will not use service roads, but trucks that are running entirely within your city (e.g. coal mine delivering to power plant) can use the service roads.

The service roads are great to do a direct link from something like the oil fields to a trade depot that is near to the entrance/exit of your city, in that way there is no traffic slowing down the oil field trucks delivering the oil to the trade depot and if the trade depot is right next to the entrance/exit to your city they go right out with it.  On cities that have oil in the right place I use the oil field service roads like this, also nice since the service roads don't cost anything.

Oh and I just add a bit of regular road to plop down the trade depot on, and then connect the service road to the regular road, since no vehicles except for the service trucks can make use of the service road from the building they came from then there is never any traffic in between the oil fields and the trade depot..

The service roads are great to do a direct link from something like the oil fields to a trade depot that is near to the entrance/exit of your city, in that way there is no traffic slowing down the oil field trucks delivering the oil to the trade depot and if the trade depot is right next to the entrance/exit to your city they go right out with it.  On cities that have oil in the right place I use the oil field service roads like this, also nice since the service roads don't cost anything.

Oh and I just add a bit of regular road to plop down the trade depot on, and then connect the service road to the regular road, since no vehicles except for the service trucks can make use of the service road from the building they came from then there is never any traffic in between the oil fields and the trade depot..

Exactly, that's what I do too! It works really good for me, have you made service roads from your oil field and then across a regular road? I tried that and it worked also. Let's hope this won't get fixed if it is a bug!