Sign in to follow this  
Charizard

Is this game worth the $40 on Amazon?

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

I know the answer is probably going to be no but is the game worth the $40 now or are the game-breaking bugs and connection problems still present? Amazon thankfully will let me pay for the game with ~5,000 points from my AMEX card so I wouldn't be really paying for it. However I could use my reward points for other things and I wouldn't want to waste them on this game if it's still broken and buggy (and especially if the price will get even lower in a month or two). If it's still in a similar state that it was 2-3 weeks ago then forget about it.

There are still many bugs.  The server stability seems to be greatly improved, but still no cheetah speed mode.

There are many things that will NOT be fixed as they are design decisions, so if any of those items bug you then I guess you should skip it.

If on the other hand they don't, then sure why not.  I'm sure you'll find that the price will drop even further but who knows when that will actually happen.

My guess is that Amazon ordered too many and with all the bad press from players on Amazon reviews it's not hard to believe that they dropped the price to try to get rid of a bunch of copies that they overbought on.

Guest Joel Jose

TRUST...the MAJORITY...

...if most of the reviews are NEGATIVE...then don't become a STATISTIC.

...spend your earned POINTS on something else...

...if you definately have the "itch" to purchase this game...then be patient...the price will drop more later.

...spend your time wisely now... read many posted TOPICS and REVIEWS regarding this game...otherwise,

you'll waste your time reading about it later, if you purchase the game prior to the bugs being worked-out.

I payed $27 for it.. and thats about the most I could see myself spending without kicking myself over it.

Bugs aside, its not a great game. Despite having more "behind the scenes" than SC4 and the past, its so limited and focused that it seems to lack depth, really. If you're like me and the online only didnt really bother you [i still know its not right, dont kill me >.>], then you'll still be disappointed by the complete lack of online features. Playing with random people, they may as well be bots. There is no real interaction between the cities beyond what we had before.. I have X workers needing jobs, they commute to other city. Whoopee. But now, you cant even decide how you want them to travel there.. the connection is set and you cant do a thing to change it. While it may change in the future, so far every region I've built in has gone mostly idle. Maybe 1 person plays on it per day? The majority of the other 15 cities [Due to server issues, only map available is a 16 city one] havent been played since the region was made. And since the cities are put in subgroups in the region of 4x4, your likely to be left alone after a few days with nothing but the same incomplete cities surrounding you.

Unlike SC4 where I could spend weeks on the same city without feeling like I was anywhere near complete, I can now get that feeling in a day. I dont find myself feeling attached to cities. Its easy to leave them behind and forget about them because everything is the same in here. Once you've made a few cities, you've made them all. I remember someone saying that in the reviews and I thought they were crazy.. but it seems true to me.

But a lot of people love it, so.. :)

• Original Poster
  • Hmm I probably won't get it until it reaches $30 then. I knew the gameplay was not going to reach SimCity 4 levels but the more and more I read it seems like the worst of the series (in terms of when each SimCity was released). And that's the feeling I got from the beta too.  Besides the gameplay though are the bugs still there? Do Sims still not show up for work in other cities? Do service vehicles get stuck in traffic jams? Is path finding still horrible so you get massive traffic jams? Is trading/regional play still screwed up? And most of all, do cities still get roll backed or even deleted because of EA's servers?

Hmm I probably won't get it until it reaches $30 then. I knew the gameplay was not going to reach SimCity 4 levels but the more and more I read it seems like the worst of the series (in terms of when each SimCity was released). And that's the feeling I got from the beta too.  Besides the gameplay though are the bugs still there? Do Sims still not show up for work in other cities? Do service vehicles get stuck in traffic jams? Is path finding still horrible so you get massive traffic jams? Is trading/regional play still screwed up? And most of all, do cities still get roll backed or even deleted because of EA's servers?

In answer to your questions: yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

But I still reckon it's worth $40.

I payed 50 euro for it the first day it came out...Still do not regret my choice...

Certainly not with the free game you got that is worth at least as much...

The thing is. You just have to wait a little bit longer. Think in around 3 months most problems will be solved, the price will be down to 30 or even lower for the deluxe edition and done...

Definitely worth it. I paid the full price for it on Origin and I definitely do not regret it. I've encountered no server problems so far and I don't miss the ceetah speed thing anyways. I prefer to let everything build up on the slow time and just enjoy watching my city grow slowly. But yeah, personal preference. 

And just remember that SimCity 4 vanilla was also a very limited game at first. 

It's a personal decision. If SC4, nurtured by fans and brought to an entirely different level than the original game upon release by fans, is your kind of game, chances are you will face disappointment with SC2013. If instead you are just looking for a quick & shiny bit of fun, without worrying about realism in simulation aspects of the game and without worrying about the applied DLC model of The Sims 3, then you might just like it. 

Best advice I can give is to try it out for yourself, unfortunately as there is no more demo the only real recourse for that would be to check it out at a friend's place who bought it. Failing that, another approach would be to go through the RockPaperShotgun site, and go through the SC2013 articles there. Of all places RPS does provide the best journalistic approach towards the game, balancing potential / existing (depending on your individual perspective) "big picture" issues with good descriptions of the possibilities but also the limitations of the game.

Is the game worth 40 bucks? Not for me. For me it makes a fun easy 10$ game. But I do not compare it to SC4, because it can't be compared to that. It is a reboot game. Not the next version after SC4. The online play DRM to me is commercially wasteful, the dreadful gaps in clarity on moddability for what constitutes hacking and what constitutes modding a terrible failing in business development, the launch issues (server capacity, RCI algorithm dumbness, etc) degrading trust. But that's my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I had fun with SC2013, but knowing what it could have been plus seeing how EA made its decisions versus customers turned it into a rather short gaming experience.