Sign in to follow this  
perafilozof

Riddle me this about C

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Since total goods for each wealth category = satisfied shoppers it looks like a you've got a goods shortage; I assume you already knew that.  It says "Business is good" since they're sold out of goods.  

My best guess is that the coding is wrong.  "Not enough shoppers" should pop-up when there are unsold goods (not just where there is any unsold goods but, for example, goods left to be sold is > (x)% of total goods sold) AND all shoppers are satisfied.

What should pop-up in your particular case is "not enough goods" or "we need more freight".

I'm no programmer but is this just sloppy work?, had too much work to be through?, not enough time to go back and test?

It could also be that 84 sims does not get to shop during the cycle of the day due to traffic

But there aren't any goods left to be sold per the image.  If the 84 had made it to their destination would they still have been satisfied with no goods available to purchase?  This begs a question: the the goods listed in the "total goods" column equal to the number of shoppers who make it to their destination?  And if that's true then the number of goods sold will always equal the number of satisfied shoppers (which is the case here).  And if this is the case then why even have the unsold goods column (on the end) because total goods always equals satisfied shoppers, which are shoppers who reach a store.

The alternative is that stores have a fixed amount of goods that can be sold which is independent of shoppers it can service.  I don't recall seeing this.  My guess would be that each store has X number of goods which is simply equal to the number of shoppers (N) which it can service, X=N.  Therefore, if all of the available shopping slots (N) in commercial buildings have been filled (if N=X then all all goods are sold) then everybody who can't find a shopping slot (N) to buy a good (X) goes unsatisfied.  If the latter is the case then the message of "not enough shoppers" is wrong because if N shopping slots = X number of goods and the number of unsold goods is = 0 then the number of shopping slots available is = 0 and therefore no more shoppers can be accommodated.  Thus there is a need for more C, not more shoppers.

This would bring me back to my post a few posts up that the "needs more shoppers" is being referenced incorrectly by the program (the code should reference "need more goods" or "need more freight" or "need more commercial").

Can anybody confirm my hypothesis and conclusion?

It could also account for regional demand.

Light colors  on the demand bar = City demand

Dark colors on the demand bar = City + Regional demand

Or it could just be an industrial issue.

Can anybody confirm my hypothesis and conclusion?

This has to be a case of poorly worded feedback.  Based off of this information (prima guide I believe):  http://i.imgur.com/thlpT0G.jpg "Business is good" tells us that they are selling out their goods.  The chart I linked says that happiness should increase when they make above the minimum amount needed to sustain themselves.  Furthermore it will decrease when they make less than the desired income.  Your screenshot shows a significant decrease in happiness for $$-C, and also a decrease in wealth for $-C.  

I'd agree that the issue must have to do with freight more than shoppers.  Without seeing the "freight orders" tab, it may be hard to confirm it.  Perhaps, underproducing industry isn't supplying enough to satisfy the overpopulated shoppers.  Given that the margins are so small (~10% unsatisfied), I'd consider them to be pretty acceptable from a gameplay standpoint and puts a pretty unreasonable task on the player to balance it all as close to zero without going over in each zone and suffering their respective consequences.

Given the numbers you show, and guessing your "fudged" population, I'd say you're what, 3k-4k pop?.  Everything traffic wise should flow really nicely.  If there's a hiccup in anything getting anywhere, I'd sadly place the blame on glassbox or a simulation geting stuck somewhere.

If all shoppers are satisfied that means there are goods left in the shops. If shoppers are unsatisfied it means that there are not enough goods.    If there are not enough shoppers it can mean that businesses aren't selling enough goods to be profitable as they would wish but aren't yet losing money.  Look at Commercial data panel.  It will tell you the profits they are making.  The Property density panel will tell you if they are satisfied and thinking of expanding or unsatisfied and trending towards leaving. Look at the People data panel. it will let you see where your shoppers are going and where they are coming from.  Use this with caution, this is what I have figured out to date, I think..

If all shoppers are satisfied that means there are goods left in the shops. If shoppers are unsatisfied it means that there are not enough goods.    If there are not enough shoppers it can mean that businesses aren't selling enough goods to be profitable as they would wish but aren't yet losing money.  Look at Commercial data panel.  It will tell you the profits they are making.  The Property density panel will tell you if they are satisfied and thinking of expanding or unsatisfied and trending towards leaving. Look at the People data panel. it will let you see where your shoppers are going and where they are coming from.  Use this with caution, this is what I have figured out to date, I think..

I'd totally agree with you were it not for the decreasing happiness. You would think that "good business" would have a greater weight than "need more shoppers" as we're seeing here.  Even if it wasn't being AS profitable as it would like to be, it should still be "in the black" as they say in business.