Sign in to follow this  
behedwin

Traffic, long road test.

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Hey

Thinking about testing this idea for a city.

http://prntscr.com/wke3e

The idea is that i dont want any intersections.... Maybe i add some to fill gaps when the city grows. But the concept is to have traffic never stop and pretty much just keep going in a straight line all the time. Ill do this with curved roads.

Downside is that firetrucks etc might need to travel a long way to be able to reach parts of the map/city.

On the picture above the wind is blowing up

so industry would be at the top, at the entrance to the city.

Then mix residential and commercial in the spiral to the center.

Schools, police etc. Will be placed somewhere in the middle of the spiral. So it got equal long to the outer edge and to the inner.

Reason i want to try it, is because of the traffic AI. The traffic takes the shortes route always and that makes traffic jam up intersections no matter what road type you use. But if the sims can keep speed up all the time it should be ok.

Only thing that worries me is that the end of the spiral will be a massive jam/stop. That the cars cant do a u-turn fast enough.

Other option is something like this.

http://prntscr.com/wkfnm

This have two major intersections.

The sims have 4 ways faster go to the areas on the right and left side.

Fire, police, school etc would be in the middle at the long road straight down.

Thoughts?

• Original Poster
  • okey, i have done some testing.

Here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vpeVxVI-WI&feature=youtu.be

1. I noticed quite fast that power, sewage and water had problems traveling the length of the road. Power was not reaching the other end of the road and so on.

2. My garbage trucks where useless since they traveled in a pack slowly picking up one house at a time. They did not spread out in the city and that mean that garbage was piling up.

But i had no traffic issues really. All cars where buzzing around at top speed.

Only when firetrucks or othe trucks stoped for some reason, some cars could build up behind them.

I do not believe it will work. For the houses on the left side of the road to be filled you need the cars to drive all way to the end of the road, and turn back. 

To lessen the traffic, try to split it. Don't build all the industrial at one side but 2 or 3 sides. With their freight depots. The houses on the centre going to split the traffic to jobs closer to their homes. 

• Original Poster
  • yes, and a huge problem is that cars cant turn around.

So a fire truck starting from one side of the road need to drive to the end of the road and turn around and then go back.

A similar design, but with sections where cars can turn around would help.

What are the commuting times for the guys at the top of the city? (the guys which travel the most)

Because in 24h day, they need to go to work, go home, do the shopping and have some rest at the park. 

Without it, you will struggle to make them even medium wealth, no matter high wealth. 

Also where you have the intersection, make the straight road high and the junction for that road make it med. (you can have it high density afterwards. 

But just for the junction you need the long road to be higher than the lower. It will remove the lights for the "long road", and have only for the guys coming out of it. 

And on that you might consider plug a big shopping centre area near the intersection (to the road below). 

So the guys, going to work, might filter out in numbers, because the shops are their jobs. And the others from the other side, will walk over the road. (make some parks). 

How does the traffic fare if you provide the long street with U-turn intersections? If you wonder how to do it, do it by using the maintenance roads from, for example, the wind farm to create very short stubs that can't be used as an intersection, but can be used to U-turn.

I'd try experimenting with a low, mid and high level of U-turn intersections and compare traffic.

It might be possible that there's actually a way that has the benefits of the long road, combined with the advantages of being able to U-turn.

Well medium-density roads don't obstruct traffic on avenues (because they have a stop sign vs a traffic light.) You could use a single long avenue with branching medium-density roads, and fix the majority of the problems you've identified.

If you don't make the branches too long, you'll limit the amount of traffic that will even pile up at the stop signs.

Of course, I still believe there are better designs for roads, but we can at least optimize this one.

Well medium-density roads don't obstruct traffic on avenues (because they have a stop sign vs a traffic light.) You could use a single long avenue with branching medium-density roads, and fix the majority of the problems you've identified.

If you don't make the branches too long, you'll limit the amount of traffic that will even pile up at the stop signs.

Of course, I still believe there are better designs for roads, but we can at least optimize this one.

The only problem with that is the buildup of development along side streets increases the amount of traffic stopping on the main road to turn onto the side street, slowing everything down. And you'd better hope that no one decides to take a shortcut through the side streets either.

You do not have to make the whole road medium. Just the few metres next to the junction. The rest can be high density one. Even avenue. 

Same on "roundabouts". All exits should be medium road junctions, to keep the flowing traffic on it. 

(roundabout high density road). 

This is a design I will be testing soon. You may want to consider doing a couple of things:

1. Plop a University so you can place pedestrian walkways. Run the walkways perpendicular to your streets all the way up and down. This will not only allow pedestrians to walk across sections, but also allow vehicles to do U turns, shortening the overall distance for trips.
    2. Try out service roads for your garbage trucks similar to the above, i havent tried it but this should work in theory! again this will reduce the time it takes trucks to return back and head out for a 2nd, 3rd collection run
    3. I'd be really interested in adding street cars to the design, with "jump points" at the rounded corners with streetcar tracks joining between them.

Because in 24h day, they need to go to work, go home, do the shopping and have some rest at the park. 

You have the concept of "people" wrong. The worker won't do shopping, also they don't rest on parks. Every home has workers, shoppers and students, so shopper is the one bringing happiness, student education level and worker the money to home. Parks are the "free" shops, when a shopper don't have money to shop they'll go to parks, best is to have Public Library since at least they get educated.  This why you need to have I in one side and C mixed with R so you have less traffic because shoppers won't use car and will walk to the nearest shop while the worker can drive to work. If worker can't find a job (ie gets stuck in traffic and has to come back since there will be building needing workers) will not bring money home, so the shopper won't have money to shop so they'll go to parks/public library. 

Back on the city; have you tried avenues? In an avenue if the trash truck stops, the one behind will pass it and so other vehicles. 

You have the concept of "people" wrong. The worker won't do shopping, also they don't rest on parks. Every home has workers, shoppers and students, so shopper is the one bringing happiness, student education level and worker the money to home. Parks are the "free" shops, when a shopper don't have money to shop they'll go to parks, best is to have Public Library since at least they get educated.  This why you need to have I in one side and C mixed with R so you have less traffic because shoppers won't use car and will walk to the nearest shop while the worker can drive to work. If worker can't find a job (ie gets stuck in traffic and has to come back since there will be building needing workers) will not bring money home, so the shopper won't have money to shop so they'll go to parks/public library. 

Back on the city; have you tried avenues? In an avenue if the trash truck stops, the one behind will pass it and so other vehicles. 

I mean each household not person. 

Panos: Well that's completely different.

Here'a a design I'm trying, but people keep moving out because of "no money" even though there's no traffic and no unemployment. So not sure if it's the design that's the problem or something else. It may be something to do with the way the AI fills jobs. If it picks the next nearest buildings not taking into account having to turn around, it may fill them in an order that takes much much longer.

https://i.imgur.com/XyJt6Rs.jpg

When people move because of no money, means they were unemployed for quite some time. (i believe is 3-4 days). 

Said that days ago. 

Which means the those guys cannot go to the factories to work, if there are enough jobs as you claim. No matter if you have no gridlocks, there are not enough jobs within the range they are willing to travel. 

And the distance in your city someone has to travel, is 4+ times more than the distance they travel on a normal, with traffic, city. 

You have long highways, and there are no turns to loop the traffic other than on 4 junctions, and the end of the road. 

Here is my first serious approach to build a city. 

Spark_2013-03-29_11-16-59_zps30ec007c.pn

This city when build it, had serious gridlocks. So what I did was demolish everything but the specialization buildings. (mines, smelting, recycling, trade depot, power & waste). Nothing else survived the bulldozers. Not even the expensive HQs or the Mayors house. 

I rebuilt the city using T junctions and long high speed roads towards the traffic destinations. 

Right now, even at rush hour, everything is moving flawlessly, and there is no gridlocks even if there is a fire incident on the main corridors. And the guys at the end of the map, commuting all way to the other end of the map up to the hill. 

Because the nearby jobs (ore mines, smelting), are covered quickly by people walking the distance. 

Spark_2013-03-29_15-14-30_zps88405fa3.pn

My second nearby city (round city with avenues), had no gridlocks, until hit the 90k mark. You can see all the traffic at the very long  avenues. The reason was that nobody could turn around and fill the housing on the other side of the road until they hit the next intersection. (same problem than yours). 

So demolished all avenues, and rebuilt it using normal roads, with many T junctions joining the rings. Problem solved. (still round city but not as pretty as previously, seems need to be rebuilt again). 

What I learn from those two cities. 

a) Avenues are bad to have housing on. They are only good for long roads that have no buildings on their sides. 

b) You need many T junctions to cut through the traffic. Patch 1.7 improved the pathfinding and we do not have the issues of the first weeks. The cars actually go around square blocks, when a road goes yellow. And many go around the long way to the left (above the bridge, first picture) because there is a small yellow traffic road around the trade depot - smelting factory. 

c) Better have more industry complaining about workforce, than people not going to work. Build your main job places nearer the residential areas. 

e) Never afraid to demolish a whole city and rebuilt it. Is fun and therapeutic :) 

Long roads isn't the solution I am afraid. Too much waste space, and not a single benefit. 

@Scotty:  I've found a way to give people a way to turn on long-no-intersection roads: place a bit of dirt road where you want them to have a turn, something like this:

ljctbLy.jpg

That way when vehicles feel the need to turn around they don't have to go all the way to whatever corner.

I'm trying to have a little town, don't want the usual big city, so I've come up with the idea of having just a straight line for people to go from home to shop and work. So far is working fine, it only has 15k pop so far but keeps getting more people. My other "problem" is having 2 towns connected which brings me people coming in and out.

3zmNqey.jpg

Good idea, but what about sewage? It will leak from this little roads into the residential area. 

I don't use them in the buildings part. That town in the pic grew to 50k pop and it's doing well, I just need more tier $ pop to fill some jobs. They all come out and just go up until the C and I are filled and if there's no more jobs they keep going up until they hit the avenue and go somewhere else, there's is where I have these "turn around" things. Anyhow, I placed some trees near them just in case, maybe that's why I didn't see any polluted ground.