Sign in to follow this  
NoseNugget

CTD on Windows 8

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello Simtropolis

I recently upgraded my OS to Windows 8 from Windows 7. Initially, I was able to play SC4 fine, no problems. However, after a few hours of gameplay, I got a crash (which happens sometimes as some of us know). Then, when I went to restart the game, I got past the loading screen and then BOOM - CTD. Now, it crashes every time I try to start the game. I have been playing this game for a very long time and I love it! I would hate to not be able to play it anymore :(.

I have tried many many things for the past 3 or 4 hours, with no success.

Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500S

CPU @ 2.70GHz

RAM: 8.00GB

SimCity 4 Deluxe, downloaded from STEAM (321 hours played, ~4hrs on windows 8.)

I tried changing compatibility mode, number of CPUs, -audio:off, custom screen resolution, reinstalling, no plugins, run as admin, and many other things...

Somebody please help me. I'm stuck!!! Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

EDIT: my video card is AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series. Totally up to date.

Edited by tteumer2010  

Did you try a boot? You may have a zombie laying around. If a dead copy of the game is in the scheduling queue the game shouldn't even start, but so little is known about W8 that it could be any small thing.

If you know anyone with W8 internals training, he may be your best bet.

Can't help with the SC4 issue, but why do you have 32-bit Windows and 8GB of Ram? You know 32-bit can’t use more than 3.5GB right?

You should consider installing the 64-bit version instead if you want to use all 8 of those gigs, it'll help.

^ Missed that. Yes, it is a very good point. There is no need for you to run a 32-bit kernel when you have that CPU. Change to the 64-bit version at your convenience.

• Original Poster
  • Did you try a boot? You may have a zombie laying around.

Sorry for being a $%&^!, but what do you mean by that?

Can't help with the SC4 issue, but why do you have 32-bit Windows and 8GB of Ram? You know 32-bit can’t use more than 3.5GB right?

You should consider installing the 64-bit version instead if you want to use all 8 of those gigs, it'll help.

Wow. I didn't even realize that. Thank you! I'm going to reinstall with the 64 bit and see if that does anything for me.

EDIT: why does it block out $%&^!? lol

Edited by tteumer2010  

In operating systems a zombie process is one that should have terminated and gone away bus has not quite made it. It isn't eligible for a processor so can never finish. It is, effectively, a running-dead process so the simile is appropriate. You can usually get rid of such a process by using whatever 'kill' command the O/S has or just reboot, which will initialize all queues.

Off topic, but does WOW (Windows on Windows) or whatever it's called work with 16-bit programs now? I miss my SimTower, but it won't run on a 64-bit OS. :(

It's more of an emulation issue, Microsoft just does not include the 16WOW32 environment in 64-Bit installations. I read somewhere that it does work if the necessary files are copied from XP, but never tried it myself.

If all else fails, I used to use a VMware Virtual Machine with Windows 98 SE installed on it to play my old Windows games on. Direct3D support was generally crap though and a lot of stuff just didn't work.

• Original Poster
  • Hi All,

Just an update - I took Cockatoo's advice and reinstalled with Windows 8 - 64bit. I was able to back up all my files to an external hard drive and restore them afterwards. Simcity 4 Deluxe is now working flawlessly. I've played for several hours with no crashes.

Thank you to everyone who helped.

Off topic, but does WOW (Windows on Windows) or whatever it's called work with 16-bit programs now? I miss my SimTower, but it won't run on a 64-bit OS. :(

It's more of an emulation issue, Microsoft just does not include the 16WOW32 environment in 64-Bit installations. I read somewhere that it does work if the necessary files are copied from XP, but never tried it myself.

If all else fails, I used to use a VMware Virtual Machine with Windows 98 SE installed on it to play my old Windows games on. Direct3D support was generally crap though and a lot of stuff just didn't work.

Welcome to windows 8

Now said good bye to windows Virtual Machine files which could run any version of windows

That's progress for you.

When I was chairman of a certain user group's software section, the vendor discontinued a certain batch control command that had been in use for over 20 years on the next rev of the O/S we held in common. You should have heard the screaming from the people who had no idea what it did. (It loaded programs from magnetic tape libraries.)

If you hunt around, you will probably find the needed emulator.

Edited by A Nonny Moose  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By citycowboy
        Hi, my game SC4Deluxe crashes all the time on this computer, especially when I zoom in or out. I've had older, smaller computers that run the game just fine. 
        Asus laptop
        Windows 8.1 with Bing
        Intel(R) Celeron (R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16 GHZ
        RAM is 4.00 GB, 3.89 usable
        64 bit OS, x64 based processor
        Intel(R) HD Graphics, speed 2167 MHz, DirectX version 11.2, Shader 5.0, OpenGL 4.0, OpenCL 1.2
        and 3982 MB of physical memory. 

Am I missing something? Is it just the video card? If so, what kind should I get? How can I improve this to at least let me play the game?
        Also, where did the 'crash to desktop? check here first' and 'cant find it' threads go?
      • By RobertLM78
        Trying to query my census repository and I keep hitting a nearby GLR->Subway transition piece, which would be fine if I wasn't so far zoomed out (which I suspect is the issue).  I hear the subway sound and then I get a gnarly CTD like hovering a puzzle piece over a TE lot. 
        Running with NAM 35 on a fully patched exe.
        (I'm really tired of losing my work - as this has happened 2 times now I've found myself doing things three times over.....  >:-|  )
        Edit/update:  It appears it is happening now any time I query the transition piece - though I swear I've queried them before without issue.....
      • By jschlegel48
        Wow! This thread is getting long. I did try to find a similar problem but didn't find anything and I'm hoping someone might shed some light. (OK, I'm lazy).  I have yet to see if problem exists on a different city tile nor haven't started deleting plugins (is removing a plugin via a plug in manager rather than a full delete acceptable?).
        I have a certain area of a city tile that will accept NO actions whatsoever. It is an area where the original landscape begins to gain elevation leading to mountains but is still a fairly gentle slope. ANY action, from god mode terrain actions to building anything causes an instant CTD, The one exception I've found up to now is a dezone action does not result in a CTD.
        I'm running the game on a 6 core machine with 32GB RAM (much more than the required features). It is on a dedicated drive running Windows XP with the highest Java version (I believe 5.something) the game will accept. I only have the EDD(?) slope mods and tried without any of the three slope percentages active.
        Yes, it is probably a plugin but I'm a fool for different things for the game and have a lot of different plugins. By a lot, I'm mean my plugin folder is 1.5 GB.
        Any thoughts? Thanks,
        John

• By Indiana Joe
        Running SimCity 4 on Windows 8
        The Almost Definitive Guide
        By Indiana Joe, with innumerable contributions by the esteemed community
         September 8, 2015 -- Microsoft ends support for some CD programs including SimCity 4. Latest Windows updates will prevent the CD from working. 

Disclaimer: This guide should be applicable to most PCs with modern hardware running Windows 8.
        Much of the information is also applicable to Windows Vista & 7.
        For further help or clarification, please be encouraged to start a new topic!

SimCity 4 was built to run on the 32 bit Windows XP operating system from 2001. Over a decade later, Windows 8 and 64 bit computers can have some trouble cooperating with this old software. This guide will take you through the proper setup of installing SimCity 4 on a modern PC and addresses some common technical problems. By the end, your game should run smoothly.

Installing SimCity 4

Patching the Game

Important Setup Steps

Graphics

Plugins (Mods) and Fixes

Resources

• By citybuilder234
        I was building my city of Townsville in SC4. It went good so far, then as I was building my freeway and an avenue in my city, SC4 crashed to desktop. That doesn't make sense. I spent two years organizing my plugins folder and it still crashed as of 20 minutes ago. I hate when when this happens every time I start building my cities in SC4, it frustrates me a lot. I even made a report on the "Crash to Desktop? Look Here First" thread and hasn't been any response in the past few days since I posted. Here is the information:
        I am using a digital copy of SC4 I bought on Steam.
        Operating system: Windows 7 (64 bit)
        RAM: 8GB
        Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor
        Crash Report:

I don't know why, but I need to know why this keeps happening every time I start building my cities in SC4.