Sign in to follow this  
grandiosepie

strange beginning of city-any suggestions?

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

-been playing SC4 for quite some time and do not need a tutorial:) As I always do, I start by laying out a good amount of R and C zones, necessary education buildings, etc. I have done the same thing every time for years, no problems. High wealth R and C buildings materialize, with I-HT present like normal and so on. Now, after deleting a zone to start over with 'new' ideas for one of my cities in region, something is just not right! I cannot get a single C$$$ of any kind and demand meters are at bottom, no change ever regardless of education, high wealth R or anything else. Here's what is happening:

-High Wealth R skyscrapers are literally first buildings showing up with 0 population to start

-Med and High wealth R demand constantly high even when no jobs available and "no job" icon over all R buildings

-Industrial HT demand is constant, I filled entire city with I-HT as an experiment and demand for HT stayed high. (yet still no demand for $$$C)

-Nearly all my workers are going on freeway to adjacent map that has my power plants and landfill only. My latest "attempt" had 13,000+ workers going out of city with little $C and $$C demand in the city I was working on.

-Put taxes at 0% for $$$C with all high wealth R skyscrapers present and still nothing! Also, put $C and $$C taxes at 20% and none of them go vacant.

Again, I know how to get a large, thriving city going and am really wondering if I have some kind of glitch going. I am beginning to think I should delete the power plant/landfill city and this city and start over. I have started this city over several times but not the power/landfill city next to it. I"ll take any suggestions at this point! Thanks

Edited by grandiosepie  

It seems to assume that the other city is as developed as the game will physically allow...

Quite so, if a neighboring or nearby city is fully developed then any new city will fastly develop as well; although I've never seen one immediately grow sky scrapers.

Edited by heavy_discipline  

I have seen this happening in established regions. If you want to start over "fresh", you have to build in isolation. All connected cities share demand.

I suspect a bug. I say this because I experienced it once... thought it was just me until I saw another member post the same experience. And now... you!

New city in an empty region, no established demand from neighbors or anything. I tried something I would normally never do. I drew my city; all the roads, rails, highways, zones, civics, utilities ... everything, all while paused right from the start. Didn't touch taxes, left everything at their defaults of 9%. I was curious what would happen. Well, I got my answer - that smattering of "get started" demand you normally see for a new city in an empty region, all dropped below zero, nothing positive at all. Oh, a few houses were built, and I think one factory... 60 residents... and then nothing at all. Did you do something similar perhaps?

I know it's a tad different since you do have neighbors, but I'm thinkin' the game has a bug with too much undeveloped zones or something. Never really tried to figure it out, just obliterated it and started over, still some large zones but not "the whole city-to-be" as before. And I made a mental note not to ever do that again.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for all the thoughts! Well....I did some experiments and found I did indeed have a glitch going. I opened each of the other cities in same region (both developed and untouched) and had the same demand scale for every single city. I had to delete the whole region unfortunately and start over.

But...but...the demand scale should be mostly same in all connected cities! *Cries quietly in corner because of the regional apocalypse*

Thanks for all the thoughts! Well....I did some experiments and found I did indeed have a glitch going. I opened each of the other cities in same region (both developed and untouched) and had the same demand scale for every single city. I had to delete the whole region unfortunately and start over.

I have. I had 0 people and grew a stage 6 resi skyscraper (might have been stage 7)

It seems to assume that the other city is as developed as the game will physically allow...

Quite so, if a neighboring or nearby city is fully developed then any new city will fastly develop as well; although I've never seen one immediately grow sky scrapers.