Sign in to follow this  
Juanchia

Larger city than 4x4?

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Is there any way of creating a city larger than the Maxis maximum size (4x4 tiles). If there was such a way of doing so (including downloading a certain modd from the stex) it could really help me as i hate having to work with multiple cities for when creating a big megametropolis.

Originally posted by: jim 546

Nope, it would require modifying the exe file, which is illegal.quote>

The code isn't in the data files? Isn't the executable just supposed to package all the data together and run the program?

Anyways, there is no way to make bigger city tiles. It may seem lame now, but back with SC4 was released, computers had trouble handling the 4x4 tiles when they were like around half full. If computers could run better at the time, Maxis would likely have made bigger tiles.

The code isn't in the data files? Isn't the executable just supposed to package all the data together and run the program?

quote>

Not really. The packages (DBPF files) contain mostly assets and tuning files. You will run into the occasional top level item such as RULs, but that's because of the massive amount of flexibility the subject (networks) contain, it would make more sense in development and for patching/future expansions to keep it separate from the EXE, although, subway and pipe RULs are more EXE bound.

And needing to edit the EXE is an understatement, one would need to also write a new format for saved cities, as 256 is the most that can be represented by 1 byte, and the current savegame format only allocates 2 bytes for tile positioning (X and Y) (256 happens to be the length and width of a large city tile as well).

Most computers are at their limit with a full 4x4 city, anything bigger than that would be really choppy and take hours to load.

Originally posted by: x493x

Most computers are at their limit with a full 4x4 city, anything bigger than that would be really choppy and take hours to load.quote>

By current standards, my machine is rather small and I am quite sure it would run a bigger tile with no problem.  Some of the new AMD3 6-core models in ganged mode would probably eat this handily.  What really needs to be done is to recompile the source with the necessary mods to allow full multiprocessing (multi-threading) to speed things up.  The big drag must be in the main loop which has to visit each grid square each time around.  Side tasks to process grid square contents could be spawned when things like building were going on.  The graphics manager would be a totally separate thread using shared memory for interprocess communication.

This would be a total rewrite, come to think of it, so it is unlikely that EA would bring this out of its archive to do this, in spite of making faint noises about new vehicles like tablet computers and consoles.  We are not a big enough community for them to care, and I hear the company is currently in extremis.  Couldn't happen to a nicer group.

Originally posted by: A Nonny Moose

Originally posted by: x493x

Most computers are at their limit with a full 4x4 city, anything bigger than that would be really choppy and take hours to load.quote>

By current standards, my machine is rather small and I am quite sure it would run a bigger tile with no problem.  Some of the new AMD3 6-core models in ganged mode would probably eat this handily.  What really needs to be done is to recompile the source with the necessary mods to allow full multiprocessing (multi-threading) to speed things up.  The big drag must be in the main loop which has to visit each grid square each time around.  Side tasks to process grid square contents could be spawned when things like building were going on.  The graphics manager would be a totally separate thread using shared memory for interprocess communication.

This would be a total rewrite, come to think of it, so it is unlikely that EA would bring this out of its archive to do this, in spite of making faint noises about new vehicles like tablet computers and consoles.  We are not a big enough community for them to care, and I hear the company is currently in extremis.  Couldn't happen to a nicer group.

quote>

I have an extremely fast and good computer but it still takes ages to load a city (because of all my downloads).  Even for me, bigger would be bad.