Sign in to follow this  
Arvendragon

Sea of Dreams

26 posts in this topic Last Reply

bannerya.jpg

"Have you ever had a dream? A dream, of great things to come, a dream of our new world. A dream of a day where we may live in peace. Welcome, men, welcome to the New Land. This is where we fight, for a chance that we may, one day, have peace, freedom, love and life. Welcom, men, to the Sea of Dreams." - Gov. David Li

Log I

It is over. For good or for ill, we have escaped the war. Just one year ago, the East Asia League had declared war on the North Atlantic Alliance. It is too late now to change anything that had happened.

We had taken twelve thousand refugees in a massive fleet, evacuating the military base of Tsalin. The winter was cold, the nuclear fallout blocking out the sun, but we had survived. The storms were rough, and we had to fight off several groups of pirates.

One year, sailing upon the sea, surviving off of whatever stocks we had. When we landed, we picked a deserted island in the middle of the Pacific. Our maps held no name of what it was. We named it the Sea of Dreams.

But, we keep hope. We are safe. The land is good, healing from the destruction of the war. This island was untouched. And every day, it gets a bit warmer. The sun is a bit brighter, the air a bit sweeter. This was the new world.

David Li, Rear Admiral

seaofdreams.jpg

Well, this is my first CJ. I'm not too good with SimCity, so please give constructive critism and whatever you disapprove of. I'll be using money cheats, and probably radical ordinances too.

And before I start: thank you to all the members of this great community, all the LOT-ers and BAT-ers, for making this a wonderful game.

Hopefully, I can update this every week or so.

EDIT: 10 minutes into the CJ (after terraforming), I have already encountered the first CTD and the first Windows 7 related error. 26.gif

Uh oh. Crashes are never your friend. Are you running the game on a laptop or a computer with two(dual core) processors?

And regarding your region view image. Very nice choice of land. I hope you work around the trouble and start developing! And welcome to the fabulous world of City Journaling. 9.gif

Yeah I could envision a grand metropolis centered around the river valley in the north, with some great modern homes or other buildings on the mountain sides like in Birmingham, AL.

@Archean I use a Laptop its about 2 years old, and if I use elevated rail over road it generally crashes my game! It sucks that I can't use one of Sim City's great mods to its fullest.

• Original Poster
  • bannerya.jpg

@nathanthemayor Thanks! I have to say,  I was definitely inspired by your United Cities CJ to finally start.

@Schulmanator Thank you too! Depends on if I can get a weekly update... or more frequently. Exams in less than a month though, and currently already procrastinating on 30-page DECA report due Thursday.

@Archean I'm running a desktop computer with four cores and Windows 7. Double issue. ( or four times?). Thankfully, no issues have happened yet. So far learned: NEVER mis-click with PEG Industrial ports. But got something done now.

@Madri I think that's what I might be going for...

Planning

Starting with planning... always good, I hope.

seaofdreamsplanningmap.jpg

Here's a zone map. Most should be pretty self-explanatory. I will probably stray a bit, esp. with intergration of commercial and residential areas, but that's a general overview. I'll add place names next update.

seaofdreamstransportati.jpg

And here's a transportation map. I'll probably stay away from other froms of transportation. Labelling next update too.

Log II

It has been two weeks since the last update. We have made landfall. I was chosen as leader of the initial expedition party. The plains are beautiful, full of verdant trees, and deer who were unafraid of us. Daniyal shot one, and we had it for dinner, the first frest meat we've had in a year.

We have selected a spot to build the new city, at the mouth of the river to the North. We have been cataloguing the region, and have found large deposits of everything we could need. Minerals, oil, stone, everything was untouched.

001landfall.jpg

Now our navy had docked; this was our beginning. Our city was to be called Hope. Named Hope for the future of humanity.

We will keep this as a record of our nation, the Sea of Dreams.

Captain Julia Wittman

Development has started! Next update: today or tomorrow, as we explore the first homes of these colonists.

Question: Does anyone have any comments / suggestions about region planning?

Thank you to everyone for support.

EDIT: I guess the ingame speed will be speed up by a lot. The could not *possibly* build that kind of dock/port in Canada in two weeks.

This is really sounding interesting. 9.gif

I love the port and all of the ships.

As for your question, I believe there's some threads about it in SC4- General Discussion. But for a more helpful answer from my limited knowledge, I'd say If you have seperate cities for industry, highways, rail, and other mass transit would be a key factor with residential close by in the neighboring city tile. I'm not sure if that's the best advice, as since most of my cities in my Branhattan CJ have all zones in them just about. 3.gif

• Original Poster
  • bannerya.jpg

@Sgt Pepper Ha, yeah, it's about time I commented on your CJ - lurked for long enough. I'm trying not to set up seperate cities, rather zones. Seperate cities really feels unnatural, what city uses rectangular zoning.  9.gif

@algis242 Thanks. Yay generic replies.

Second CTD. This time - Zoom out crash.

Still working on place names, will probably change them as I see fit. These names (and soon mayor names) have been inspired by (or are) my friends. 17.gif

seaofdreamsplanningmapw.jpg

Log III

We have been settling into our new homes. This new land is bountiful, full of riches, and we look forward to our new lives, slowly forgetting what we had left behind.

Landfall is now a bustling town, with population of over ten thousand. Plans are in motion to build a rail extending to the resource-rich mountains of the north. The people are happy. Happy to be free, safe, and at peace. Farming communities have already been established around the region.

002newtown.jpg

Surveryors have already determined a spot for the future Capital of the Sea of Dreams. At the mouth of the Phoenix River, we will build the city of Hope.

We have almost finished moving all of our supplies off our ships. Soon, our military ships will head out into the sea, hoping to see if we can pick up any information on what is going on with the rest of the world. The satellite network had been knocked down by EMP missiles early, and land and close range, high frequency radio transmissions were all we had left.

003shippingyards.jpg

A highway has also been constructed, connecting the fledgling cities of Landfall, Juliand, Pandaren and Circle Square. A sense of business has come to this island nation, despite a population of only fifteen thousand. Small business have sprouted along this major throughfare. Even a few office buildings have been built.

004juliand.jpg

Now time to turn on my Ke$ha-Katy Perry-Taylor Swift playlist and back to work.

Nice, is your capital going to be the largest city like London is the UK and England?

or like in America where Washington DC is only a 1/17 the size of New York?

• Original Poster
  • Yeah, I'm not ready for any update. Just checked for a sec, and @wiecher - The island says "Caymen Island". I'll be changing the names (and spots for names) around... and please do not make any comments towards any other groups of society within my City Journal, or anywhere else, for that matter, that is completely inappropriate.

Originally posted by: Arvendragon

Yeah, I'm not ready for any update. Just checked for a sec, and @wiecher - The island says "Caymen Island". I'll be changing the names (and spots for names) around... and please do not make any comments towards any other groups of society within my City Journal, or anywhere else, for that matter, that is completely inappropriate.

quote>

You are the one who immediately thinks of discrimination and hate towards other people when I use the word 'gay'.

That makes you inappropriate.

The name was a little obscured by the white beach and I asked what it was, without saying anything about gay people, and you are the one who interpreted it as 'a comment towards an other group of society'. If that is the first thing you can think of when you see the word 'gay', you better start looking at yourself first, before you say anything about someone else.

I don't want to be in a fight with you and I would like to see this CJ and this nice city develop (that's why I commented in the first place), but if you reply negatively to people, you're not going to have a lot of frequent visitors.

• Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: wiecher

Originally posted by: Arvendragon

Yeah, I'm not ready for any update. Just checked for a sec, and @wiecher - The island says "Caymen Island". I'll be changing the names (and spots for names) around... and please do not make any comments towards any other groups of society within my City Journal, or anywhere else, for that matter, that is completely inappropriate.

quote>

You are the one who immediately thinks of discrimination and hate towards other people when I use the word 'gay'.

That makes you inappropriate.

The name was a little obscured by the white beach and I asked what it was, without saying anything about gay people, and you are the one who interpreted it as 'a comment towards an other group of society'. If that is the first thing you can think of when you see the word 'gay', you better start looking at yourself first, before you say anything about someone else.

I don't want to be in a fight with you and I would like to see this CJ and this nice city develop (that's why I commented in the first place), but if you reply negatively to people, you're not going to have a lot of frequent visitors.quote>

I'm sorry if what I said to you seems negative. "Gay Men" doesn't really seem insulting, but adding the "lol" at the end made me feel as if you were trying to be negative about it. Asking the question is fine, adding "lol" to the end of something that might be a touchy issue is a bit insulting. Once again, sorry.

@Damastius, where's the message system?

The message system is located at the top right of the forum page, where you can see your points too. Just click on the letter. Have good luck with your CJ!

• Original Poster
  • bannerya.jpg

Yay for exam week! Well, been gone the past few weeks, but time for update as a break.

@ALL Thank you everyone! Not enough time; must get back to studying.

Log IV

Well, we've been in the new land for a month now. Progress has been swift. We have already established our new nation.

To the south of the town of Landfall, we have constructed the town of Circle-Square amongst the farmlands, to allow our civilians to be closer to our lifeline - the fields.

007circlesquare.jpg

In the meanwhile, we have declared our first city of Juliand upon this island nation. It will be the temporary capital of our nation. It is in an area just a few kilometers away from Landfall. Currently, we have constructed a university to deposit whatever works of art and science we could carry.

006universityofjuliand.jpg

We are still working hard, and we are recieving our first reports from our recon forces. They have linked up with the Royal Navy near former New Guinea, and will soon return with detailed analysis of the current world.

Construction is beginning upon our capital city, Hope.

Captain Jasmine Cowen

Well... I really want to start the capital... so here's an excuse.

But back to studying first!