Sign in to follow this  
meister1235

Can you solve the Rubik's Cube ...?

26 posts in this topic Last Reply

Back in the early 80s, when it first came out, I could do it in 90 seconds. Not sure I remember how, though.

I need to dig mine out from wherever it's hiding. I can get two layers done pretty quickly (30 seconds?), but the final layer always gives me fits.

I never bother solving it, i just took the stickers off and tried to stick them the right way, problem is that they don't stick back well afterwords 3.gif

I'm usually good with puzzles, but Rubik's Cubes confound me. As do 2D jumble puzzles. I'm great at visualizing "this needs to go there", but when putting something where it belongs requires taking other things that already are where they belong and putting them where they don't belong, you lose me.

Originally posted by: Chptrk

Just get me a hammer and some glue, I'll solve it for ya.

quote>

"Hulk SMASH!!!" as in I agree with the above sentiment. My brain does not work that way; however I do have an alternate use for a Rubik's cube and that is the role of an object occupying my hands when I'm in lectures and meetings however I usually fill this with a piece of rope and just tie knots in it. I suspect I have good perception of form but lousy perception of the colour pattern.

Ah, and exercise in group theory.  I could in 1980, but I haven't tried lately.  These things were all the rage among the university staff along with the lunch time game of frisbee.

• Original Poster
  • Congrats Astro 9.gif

@larks: befor i was able to solve the rubiks cube i used the same way, and after everytime my brother mixed the cube i needed to do this again.. after the 4. time the stickers didn'T wanted to stay at their places...

When someone else scrambles it(since they don't know what they're doing): around 1 minute or less to solve.

When I scramble it for a minute or so: around 2 minutes to solve

I watched a video to learn how to solve it; It uses one of the most inefficient methods, but it works every time.

I've tried to solve it, but only managed to do three sides. To be honest, I don't have the patience to do such things, I guess that's why I haven't managed to solve it yet.

The world record is pretty fast - take a look at this video:

NAILED IT!

Originally posted by: Armonjoe201

The world record is 6.77 seconds, which is like almost impossible to beat.quote>

In order to solve it quickly, you need to take it apart, grease it, and put it back together.

Originally posted by: Meg

The world record is 6.77 seconds, which is like almost impossible to beat.quote>

In order to solve it quickly, you need to take it apart, grease it, and put it back together.

quote>

Yes, vaseline works well.  Evenutally you get the face covers greasy and they slide around, which means it is time to buy a new cube.

quote>

I never had to use grease to put them back together.

just had to get the correct colors in the correct spots.

Which as puzzels go is not that easy.

In order to solve it quickly, you need to take it apart, grease it, and put it back together.quote>

You need to do that several times.  According to a friend who has spent several years with Rubik's cubes, the general process goes like:

1. Take Rubik's cube apart and grease it with the appropriate silicon lubricant (you can't just use any old lube).
    2. Put Rubik's cube together and use it till the lube starts to dry out.
    3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 as needed.
    Ultimately, the goal is to get the silicon lube worked into the plastic.  According to my friend, a lot of professionals have cubes that have been taken part so many times in this process that the cubes have actually become unstable, which actually helps improve your speed.

I've never been able to solve a Rubik's Cube, and you can be sure I've spent hours on it. I don't know what happens, but I'm absolutely null on this. I consider myself a person with good visual abilities, but the Rubik's Cube is just stronger than me...

Originally posted by: TekindusT

I've never been able to solve a Rubik's Cube, and you can be sure I've spent hours on it. I don't know what happens, but I'm absolutely null on this. I consider myself a person with good visual abilities, but the Rubik's Cube is just stronger than me...quote>

If you've done any work in group theory, it helps.

• Original Poster
  • I teached it myself with watching tutorials at youtube.

I watched about 2 or 3 hours till i solved it with a tutorial which is 30minutes long, i watched it over and over again till i solved the cube.

Originally posted by: A Nonny Moose

Originally posted by: TekindusT

I've never been able to solve a Rubik's Cube, and you can be sure I've spent hours on it. I don't know what happens, but I'm absolutely null on this. I consider myself a person with good visual abilities, but the Rubik's Cube is just stronger than me...quote>

If you've done any work in group theory, it helps.

quote>

Ughh... Algebra was also stronger than me (it is a long story...), so I guess I won't...