Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYGuy11

Newbie with some questions!

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • Hey all,

I am a newbie in the sense that this is my first post here.  I have been looking throughout this website including forums, omnibus, downloads, and so on.  I am no stranger to the Sim City franchise.  I have 2000, 3000, and 4.  I love Sim City and it's such a great game.  A few questions:

1. What downloads are a must have?  I see all the downloads and I am so overwhelmed.  I know the 2 downloads I want is the World Trade Center (I'm from NY and I loved those Towers) and the download that makes all landmarks functioning buildings rather than just another pretty building.  Is there anything I MUST need to make most downloads work?  I have some experience downloading stuff to computer games, mostly for MLB Baseball and NBA Live.  But i have never done anything for SC4.  So, I have a clean slate for that.

2. What is the best way to shut up the advisor that complains there is too much traffic on one road?  I have read some mass transit tutorials, but I can never seem to pull it off right.  It's hard to place subway stops and bus stations.  Also, do bus stations/subway stops hurt the desirability/land value of residential neighborhoods?

3. I realize that the "region" functions as a whole.  I remember reading a while ago that "blocks" that touch each other share the RCI, right?  How do I devote one land piece to just residential or just industrial when the advisor keeps telling me that there is a need for houses/jobs in the area?

Thank you for the help!

1. The one absolute, must have download is the NAM (Network Add-on Mod). It is an upgrade to the transit systems that come with the game. It adds a Ground extension to the Subway and El-rail network. It also adds some intersections and interchanges. You may also wish to search the STEX for NDEX, BSC, BLS, CSX, and PEG. All of these downloads are quite well done.

Also, you have Rush Hour or Deluxe for any downloads from this site to work properly. You also need to get all of the updates from the main site, including the update from the BAT page. You will also need the "Buildings as Props" files from the exchange there.

2. I believe that bus stations and subway stations do hurt your desireability some, but this is easily counteracted by placing parks. Besides, you don't necessarily want to have all R$$$ because you will see large-scale abandonment due to lack of jobs. The best way to shut the advisor up is to ease the traffic on the road, either by upgrading it or placing mass transit options. The NAM could also help. You could also just ignore the advisor... he has his own agenda anyway... just be sure to address the traffic problem eventually... there is a tutorial on mass transit in the Omnibus.

3. Ignore the advisor who tells you that you "need" more jobs/houses. Use the tax structure to affect demand (e.g. if you only want I-M, then raise the I-A, I-D, and I-HT taxes to 20%). Just make sure that you have plenty of transit options between the jobs and the houses.

Hope this helps. Feel free to browse the Omnibus... there's a lot of good game info in there.

Hi, NYGuy11, first, welcome to ST! 2nd, do you have Rush Hour (or Deluxe)? Most of the stuff here is for the Rush Hour/Deluxe version. If so I would d/l the NAM (Network Addon Mod) it's a little buggy but worth it. 3rd, it's difficult to say what else but whatever you do follow the instructions in the 'readme' and most important keep your 'plugins' folder tidy. A lot of the things have installers (for windows machines) and most install to .../plugins/(name of lotter-BATer/name of item). If you do that you can find something that causes problems quicker. When looking at the STEX it can be overwhelming but consider what kind of cities you want then down load the things that fit that kind of city. Good Luck Have fun - If you get into trouble there are a ton of people that are willing to help.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for making me welcome. I have the Deluxe version, meaning I have both the game and Rush Hour.

How do I keep my plug in folders tidy? Thanks!

Most people structure their plugins folder by creator. This helps with organizing. I, however, do it much different, as it's easier for me to keep track of things. BTW, who remembers who created the mod that turns street ends into culdesacks? I don't! I structure my plugins more like:

Buildings

Civic

Residential

Commerical

Industrial

Mods

(various mods)

Transport

Car

Rail

Water

Subway/EL rail/GLR

Other Transport types

All the auto installer files

Hope that's helpful

hiya

1. I suggest yuo not use any lots from the official site at all...place is a mess start here...second post

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=78303&enterthread=y

2. stupid news ticker mod...in Greyveil's start up tutorial link is provided above...: the advisor are basicly stupid...will make you go broke and destroy your city in my opoin...don't listen to them unless it a red alert...use your own jugdement

placement of bus stop and subways are a pain....almost impossible in large cities

the buildings block your view,  always bugged me too...working on fix..not sure if it's possible to change this..:S

MT does help with disirability as they take sims out of ther polluting cars,also free up road capasity.. but if either of them get over used bus pollution and or the foot traffic can be a bad thing for in some sitiutations, specially in RES$$$ areas

would you want 1000 ppl in front of your house waiting for the bus  ?

3. easiest way to explain the jump is...the old games you played one city, and the compturer played all the satilite cities for you.

now..you get to play the satlite cities...1 draw back...you have to play them for them to be any real benift...the computer won't do this for you, which if you play the demand chart properly, you can create single type cities (RES, COM, IND)and the sims will comute back and forth from city to city from home to their jobs...i personelly think it a major leap forward...4.gif

but can be very time consuming doing this

So you can install subfolders within the plugins folder and everything will work correctly? Newbie that I am, I was thinking about setting up some kind of structure but wasn't sure the installed plugins would work in subfolders.

Originally posted by: SC4Noobie Most people structure their plugins folder by creator. This helps with organizing. I, however, do it much different, as it's easier for me to keep track of things. BTW, who remembers who created the mod that turns street ends into culdesacks? I don't! I structure my plugins more like:

Buildings

Civic

Residential

Commerical

Industrial

Mods

(various mods)

Transport

Car

Rail

Water

Subway/EL rail/GLR