• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

The First Look at Downtown

Sign in to follow this  
beebs

redriver_ca.jpg

downtown2.jpg

As you may have guessed from the preview shot, I'll be showing downtown to you guys first and working out from there.Here's the northern edge of downtown (we are facing south), bordering right along Manning Drive (you can see a sliver of it at the bottom left) - at one point also the Trans-Canada Highway. The highway has since been redirected to the ring-road that now encircles the city. You can see a few hotels along this stretch, as they try to capture traffic coming past downtown.

The city has been mulling some severe rerouting of traffic, to allow better access to and from Manning Drive. At present, there are few exits - primarily, there are just flyovers.

central1.jpg
Lets take a quick look in the opposite direction now (facing north). This area of town is starting to bustle with new developments as you can see by the cranes. Although still smaller than its Albertan neighbors Calgary and Edmonton, it is quickly catching up, with new developments being announced nearly every week.

downtown1.jpg
This is the financial/corporate core of downtown. As you might notice, there are a few buildings in a bit of rough shape, most notably Melbrooke Tower at the bottom. The province has hit a bit of a downturn in recent years that hit Red River especially hard. Multiple local corporations moved their operations to Toronto, Vancouver or Calgary, leaving office vacancy bordering crisis levels. More recently, with the discovery of huge oil reserves in the area, the city has began to pick up and growth - after almost 20 years of stagnation - is beginning again.

melbrooketower1.jpg
And here, the fated Melbrooke Tower. Plagued with disaster since it was under construction when two workers fell off scaffolding to find their harnesses snap, the latest incident was a raging fire that gutted the building. It's now being demolished to make way for more ground level parking. Citizens are not thrilled with the prospect of more valuable downtown real estate being used for gravel lots.

apartments.jpg
Moving south, we begin moving into some residential. Most of these apartments were built in the 70's and 80's, and exhibit the truly... awful architecture of the time. These concrete bunkers were never really attractive, and currently plague the skyline of Red River, Edmonton and countless other cities. There are no current plans to do anything about them, as they are still in fine structural shape.

overview.jpg

And an overview of east downtown.
Sign in to follow this  

8 Comments

Recommended Comments

Looks great beebs, very Canadien lookin... I'm hoping to see an ice rink for all the fans and young kids to aspire to play in (Saskatchewan is a big breeding ground for Hockey stars afterall) : )

Where did you get those yellow slab/conrete blocks of flats please?

Thanks
Great entries

Share this comment

Godzillaman: Yeah I really should start using those. Glad you're enjoying it otherwise :)
Paramore22: It should be on the STEX, but the name currently escapes me. :(
Mayor Browne: Glad you're enjoying it! :D I have plans to put an NHL sized rink in, but I have yet to find one that I truly like the look of, so it may be some time unfortunately. :( We should be seeing some local rinks cropping up in the fall though! The yellow apartments are, I believe, called Gryndner Apartments (or something to that effect). They should be on the STEX. :)

Share this comment

[b]hockstore: [/b]It's loosely based off of Edmonton and Calgary, but on the whole it is fictional. :)

Share this comment