SimLand

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Special Entry: In-Sight of SimLand regions

Mithrik

REPLIES:

Mamaluigi945: Thank you very much! I'm happy you liked the dusk shot.

SimCoug: Thank you for the comment. I know I forgot of the grid, but it slip out because the islands and the ferry station are not on the same city tile.

Hello!

As you noticed, this is a special entry of my city journal. I am not going to show much pictures here this time.

I will tell you here, in a short way how I am developing the different SimLand countries that will be visited in the future.

The beggining

I always liked working on custom regions, and specially if they weren't from a recognizable world area. I tried some time ago playing on a hand-made region, but in the end I didn't like much the resulting terrains, and I wiped it out.

As my skills in detailing increased I started to diversify my styles by creating different types of cities, and after some time, I started to tie those creation together, as a result I created the basis of what would be SimLand.

The first in these series of countries was my beloved fictional country, Leonia. of which you will know later as the CJ progresses, then I started to go on wih other countries as my tastes for making other kinds of cities changed, one month I wanted to creat European-styled cities, another one, American-styled suburban sprawls, then a week I made planned cities, etc.

By the time I posted the Triantia teaser, I already had 4 countries ready to be shown to the world here.

Plugins

I always try to play with a max of 1.1GB of plugins, so the game can load in less than 2 minutes in my laptop. And it's been a constant since I made my first organization of plugins. And if you think that's a lot, it actually is not, as most of what is used in-game occupies less then 300- 400MB of the total, most of the the files that make the bulk are my " Essentials" folder, which contains all what I need to run almost all my plugins, including those that are not being used, which means that the those 700+ MB of occupies space in the Essentials folder contains the NAM, SAM, RHW, NWM, and almost all the the BSC dependencies, plus a few other ones, like CSX dependencies and some LBT ones.

Of course that is not all, I also have included there the Maxis plugins and the important fixes, and in most cases, I also have the SPAM included, though not in all of the countries I made it's used.

And I will admit that it seems to me like a humongous thing 1.1GB of plugins, even though less than half is acutally something I use in-game, and the rest are dependencies.

The entries

This one is really short.

I plan on realising the CJ entries on a weekly basis, each Friday, sometimes I may even make one or two in-between the other. Teasers and special entries like this one don't have have to follow the standard basis of the normal entries, so they could come up at anytime, though.

To conclude

I hope this explain a little of how I am working on SimLand. There is still a lot of be seen, as I still don't show you the first city of Triantia, let alone the other countries. My photoshop skills are improving still but I managed to make some lovely pictures already (the Teaser and the past entry's dusk shot are examples), and all in all. I hope you can keep looking into my entries, I will put effort into making this CJ something that the community can like.

Cheers to everyone, but before, a teaser of Catalia...

cataliateaser.jpg

1 Comment

Recommended Comments