• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

New SorGun

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

I'm a lumberjack...

SimCoug

New SorGun Masthead.jpg

Update 7
I'm a lumberjack...
Fall 1853

Business at the Yarahi Mill was booming. The influx of pioneers to the region drove demand for wood planks through the roof. And it wasn’t just the area of New SorGun that was seeing growth. The entire west coast of the US was growing by leaps and bounds. Logging vessels were now frequent visitors to SorGun Bay, and a large logging operation was underway to satisfy the demand for timber.
59678d5812248_Update7-0intro.jpg.ecbd14787f17a4b46dd5537314f7a675.jpg

A logging operation of this magnitude required some logistical support, and a central HQ building was built on the south shore of SorGun Harbor. This location offered easy access to acres of top quality timber.
update 7 - 1 logging HQ.jpg

Old growth forests in the Pacific Northwest were untouched by man and some of the trees grew to unbelievable sizes.

22fir.jpg

Able bodied men from near and far began setting up makeshift camps. The work was hard, but the pay was decent.
59678d5b81eee_Update7-2lumberjackcamp.jpg.ec7305fba4f7353c3b4c1f0e12ba8321.jpg

A period photo of a logging camp

fig9.jpg

A closer view of the New SorGun logging camp.
59678d5d2995e_Update7-3lumberjackcampclose.jpg.db5c036dab5d7a4590c1f3861b3b25b3.jpg

The process of hauling the cut timber to the beach was made a little easier with donkey engines.

Wikstromdonkey.jpg

The engine was essentially a powered winch, which could drag the logs toward it using steam power.
Update 7 - 4 Donkey Engine.jpg

If you are interested in the actual history of logging in the Pacific Northwest, THIS website is very interesting.
Finally, an overview of the logging operation near New SorGun.
59678d609c4fd_Update7-5loggingoverview.jpg.f4e5b9068adbde4147b469ce9d125660.jpg

Replies:

Fox: Very cute .. love the attention to detail once again.

Thanks!

MilitantRadical: Love your CJ so far. Such idyllic scenery.

Thank you, I'm glad you stopped by.

Simul8ter8: Those must have been some BIG trees!

No kidding, It's amazing what mother nature can do.

Thanks for stopping by! Your feedback is always appreciated.

9 Comments

Recommended Comments

Guest hahei

Posted

Where did you get the tents?

Share this comment

Wow ! Yeah, I think that about covers it. Each entry just keeps getting better and better. Nice Monty Python reference in the title. Now that stupid song is stuck in my head.

Share this comment

Directors Commentary

This was a fun entry because it was very thematic.  I searched far and wide for the BATs that would make up the custom lots.  I believe I found the logging HQ building out of a WMP prop pack.  And the Army tents from @mrbisonm were perfect for the camp.  
Going back through now, and I can see so many modding mistakes.  When making props, 'is ground model' needs to be '01' ... other wise we end up with a shadow-less mass that defies physics. *:no:
The donkey engine prop from PEG was always a great addition to the Mountain theme set, so I was really happy I got to give it a little prime time exposure in this update (and historically accurate usage!).  
I know many of you don't believe it, but nearly 99.9% of the lots I use in New SorGun are growable... serious!  The logging HQ is an dirty industrial lot, the tents and cabins are R$.  Even the donkey engine is a dirty industrial lot... it was like a 1x12 lot that I tried my darnedest to blend in with the terrain.  I was using unique footprints, so they all grew rather easily when I made this update.  Plus, there weren't very many lots in my plugins at this point, to that helped too.  I also started sorting my lots by tileset, so I was able to get specific lots to grow when and where I wanted.  
I wish I remember where I found those huge felled tree log props... they really convey how massive some of those old evergreen trees can get in the Pacific NW.  
Thanks for revisiting *:)
*I am in the process of updating all the images in order to ensure they don't have broken links in the future - in addition I thought I would add a little commentary since it's been 5 years since these entries.

Share this comment

Wonderfully presented Logging scene. Feels actually like being there. Great job SimCoug!

Edit: Glad to see my Nexis tents being used again.... 

Share this comment