New Town and Northern Town
As mentioned before, the New Town, together with the Empirial Boulevard, almost entirely encircles the Old Town. It was constructed together with the Northern Town in the XVIIIth century when Petrohrad could no longer house all its inhabitants in the Old Town. Even the Emperor went to live in the New Town. His palace was contructed between 1759 and 1761, together with the square in front of it. Here we can also find the Archiducal Palace and the Church of the Virgin Mary, both built in the 1760s. To the south of the square we can see the Pantheon of Petrohrad, built in 1745-1746.

In 1856 a new church dedicated to st. Pancras was constructed to the north of the Imperial Palace. It is the finest example of neogothic arcitecture in Petrohrad. On the bottom right of the picture we can see one of two water tower, which used to supply Petrohrad with water in the XIXth century. The white building is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, erected in 1919.

The Northern Town houses many of the administrative buildings of Petrohrad. Here we can find for example the splendid Parlaiment Building of the Illyrian Empire. On the bottom right a part of the Petrohrad Exchange Building is still visible.

The western part of the Northern Town is composed of the former town of Kostelec nad Váhom. Here we can still find its main square and its two parish churches. The town was annexed to Petrohrad in 1745.

Finally, a view of the eastern part of the Northern Town.



6 Comments
Recommended Comments
Sign In or register to comment...
To comment in reply, you must be a community member
Sign In
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In NowCreate an Account
Sign up to join our friendly community. It's easy!
Register a New Account