Sign in to follow this  
dedgren

Three Rivers Region

Which Rock Mod Do You Prefer?  

1. 1. Which Rock Mod Do You Prefer?

• #9 None of the above

2,229 posts in this topic Last Reply

!The numbers in the above rock mod survey reference pics that are in this post on page 45 [ linkie ].

Table of Contents [ click here ] - Current page [ click here ]

sc4splashqu1.jpg

So I assume everyone besides me can see this. But maybe not. Back when I was in the military, someone gave me very good advice. It was, "Don't change more than one thing at once when you are trying to set something up you've never done before." I'm trying to learn how to post images at the same time ST is doing major changes- that probably counts as too many things at once.

Section Index to Table of Contents [ linkie ]

TOC - Current page [ linkie ]

As to the Table of Contents and Other General Notes

The Table of Contents is completely hotlinked and notes the commenters on each page. It is located at the bottom of my first few comments, as it will no longer work within a single comment.

Use it at your own risk. Void where prohibited by law. Consult with your doctor if total viewing time lasts longer than four hours.

A few notes and asides-

Whenever you see "Edited:" below the sig on one of my posts, but there's no explanation in the post itself as to where the edit was made, you should assume I caught a typo, fixed some glitch...we work hard to meet high standards here for our guests...or made some other minor correction. If I make a major change with an edit, I'll bring it to your attention with an "EDIT" note at the bottom of the post in question, and sometimes also in the form of an "UPDATE." UPDATES (and sometimes EDITS- hey, I have to keep you on your toes) will appear as green backgrounded text, as follows-]

If you see info out there on the forums or elsewhere that would help me update a particular post, let me know by comment or PM- I'd really appreciate it.

...remember, in cyberspace, no one can hear you scream...

Table of Contents

<a href="http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=36&threadid=74819&enterthread=y&STARTPAGE=1#TOC_P1">Page 1 through 10 3-12-06 - 6-7-06

Page 11 through 20 6-7-06 - 8-3-06

Page 21 through 30 8-4-06 - 9-23-06

Page 31 through 40 9-23-06 - 11-2-06

Page 41 through 50 11-2-06 - 12-8-06

Page 51 through current 12-9-06 - current

Table of Contents - Page 1 through 10

After each page number, I have noted the dates of the first and last comment on the page. After each post heading, I have noted the date the post was originally made or, if updated for content, the date of the last update. If a content update has been done in the last week or so, the word "MORE!" will appear.

The members who've commented on a particular page are now listed, with folks who left more than one comment on the page noted with "(x2)," "(x3)" and so on. NEW! "First timers" are highlighted in red.

Page 1 3-12-06 - 3-15-06

Introduction and First Pics 3-12-06

Organization of Plugins Folder and Game Settings 3-12-06

My Approach to SC4; Responses to Comments 3-13-06

Random Pics 3-14-06

Thoughts about Ratings 3-12-06

Troubles with Viewing Pics - I 3-15-06

Troubles with Viewing Pics - II 3-15-06

Commenters include: xmenkool (x2), mayormommy (x2), Micah (x2), swesim, jacqulina (x3), pickled_pig, Fabiocb (x2), PhilsCafe, Fallon144, and Kwakelaar

Page 2

Responses to Comments

Responses to Comments (cont'd); Mods Used in 3RR MORE! hotlinked mod list [ linkie ]

Game Settings; Shortcut Keys; Screenshots; More Pics Responses to Comments; The Village Battery

Update No. 8 (cont'd) - Responses to Comments

Update No. 8 (cont'd) - Responses to Comments

Commenters include: sloppet, fredo50, xmenkool, shizu00, tchaos713, PhilsCafe (x3), tlannister, bat, Darmok (x3), Larsz, screamomatic, Shadow_Assassin, jacqulina, rw0381c, pickled_pig, Sc4_cewl, capitol1, chocolatemax285, metasmurf, and Fabiocb

Page 3

Shameless Eye Candy No. 1

We've got Mail... We've got Mail...(cont'd) We've got Mail...(cont'd)

Commenters include: Larsz, Fabiocb, tchaos713 (x2), PhilsCafe (x2), pickled_pig, Liger14, shizu00, p1, Darmok (x2), jacqulina, rw0381c (x2), raul39, Micah, SimRico, oroen, GMT, ElBarto92, WRXpilot, rewright, sloppet, seemurray2, and dussin23

Page 4

A RL Incursion and a Pic

Update No. 9 - Intro to Tunnel and Slope Mods Update No. 9 (cont'd) - "God Mode" Terraforming of Some Hills... Update No. 9 (cont'd) - Why to Use a Tunnel and Slope Mod

Update No. 9 (cont'd) - Placing Road and Rail with a Tunnel and Slope Mod Installed: Tips and Tricks

Update No. 9 (cont'd) - More Tunnel and Slope Mod Tips and Tricks

Update No. 9 (cont'd) - Still More Tunnel and Slope Mod Tips and Tricks

Update No. 9 (cont'd) - Son of Still More Tunnel and Slope Mod Tips and Tricks; Building a Rail Tunnel

Commenters include: Kwakelaar (x2), terrymunweihao (x2), Shadow_Assassin (x2), AfroThunda, tchaos713 (x2), djrules5454_simtropolisedition, Micah, Fabiocb, rw0381c (x2), sloppet, wouanagaine, tag_one, WRXpilot, ElBarto92, dussin23, SC4*****ie and lardonbur

Page 5

Update No. 10-Overview - Creating Little Cold Lake Creek

Update No. 10-Part 1 - Terraforming the Lower Canyon

Update No. 10-Part 2 - Terraforming the Lower Canyon (cont'd)

Commenters include: Darmok (x2), shizu00 (x2), sloppet (x3), jacqulina, PhilsCafe, tchaos713, SC4*****ie, Rayden, Cjah, magpieshooter, dussin23, van1357, bat, GMT, rw0381c, Bobbo662, bluemax, latazyo (x2), capitol1, Tommy_Vercetti3, and lardonbur

Page 6

Commenters include: packersfan, Cjah, sloppet, Rayden, Darmok (x2), Shadow_Assassin, terrymunweihao (x2), dussin23 (x2), Fabiocb, mightygoose (x2), rw0381c, capitol1, Yoman3, latazyo, Dubya, PhilsCafe, jacqulina, SC4*****ie, and tchaos713 (x2)

Page 7

Teaser Pics of the Expanded Region

Shameless Eye Candy No. 2

Commenters include: Micah, ElBarto92, jacqulina, tchaos713 (x2), Yoman3 (x2), Cjah, cinnebar (x2), Darmok (x2), sloppet, JoeEdwardz, SC4*****ie, dussin23, PhilsCafe, rw0381c, natedogg, pickled_pig, tankmank, Rayden (x2), rw0381c, AHA, owenluby, and shivsood

Page 8 Three Pics - Surface to "Game" Water Transition; A "Land" Bridge; and Using Goldiva's Reefs

Farm Country Experiments - Trying to Break the Rectilinear Grid

More Teaser Pics...

The 3RR Wayback Machine - SimCity

Commenters include: GMT, Darmok (x4), mightygoose (x2), cinnebar (x2), capitol1, Yoman3 (x2), Rayden, wallasey, homefryes, Battlecat (x2), Dr. Neitchskrimfrauwnmoya, Micah, AHA (x2), tchaos713 (x2), bat, and szarkoz

Page 9 5-25-06 - 5-29-06

Update No. 10, Part 3 - Introduction; Revisiting Little Cold Lake Creek 5-27-06

Update No. 10, Part 3 (cont'd) - Scoping Out a Stream Location 5-28-06

Update No. 10, Part 3 (cont'd) - Terraforming a Small Valley with "God Mode" Tools 5-28-06

Update No. 10, Part 3 (cont'd) - More "God Mode" Terraforming 5-29-06

Update No. 10, Part 3 (cont'd) - "Land" Bridges I- First Steps 5-29-06

Update No. 10, Part 3 (cont'd) - "Land" Bridges II- Teirusu's Rain Mod; Eureka! 10-22-06 MORE!

Commenters include: PhilsCafe, Fabiocb, rw0381c, ElBarto92, The PeoplesPerson, Darmok (x2), tchaos713, jacqulina (x2), sloppet, cinnebar (x2), RadioheadFan, Sc4_cewl, Battlecat, sandrasim1, Rayden (x2), JoeEdwardz, mattb325, tracker, and GaBoR

Page 10 5-29-06 - 6-7-06

Update No. 10, Part 3 (cont'd) - A Shameless Plug; Ploppable Water on the STEX Now!; Underbridge Roads 6-3-06

Update No. 10, Part 3 (cont'd) - A "404" Error; Terketmek; Giving Credit Where Credit is Due 6-5-06

Update No. 10, Part 3 (cont'd) - An Introduction to Ploppable Water; Plopping a Stream; First Superdetailing Steps 6-7-06

Commenters include: cinnebar, GaBoR, tchaos713 (x2), Rayden, Darmok (x4), pixelrage, pvarcoe, gmavignier, iquere, ringo, psteverific (x2), sebes

Edited by dedgren  

• Original Poster
  • Hey, xmenkool, thanks.  I'll take that as a go-ahead.

Table of Contents

Page 1 through 10 3-12-06 - 6-7-06

Page 11 through 20 6-7-06 - 8-3-06

Page 21 through 30 8-4-06 - 9-23-06

Page 31 through 40 9-23-06 - 11-2-06

Table of Contents - Page 11 through 20

After each page number, I have noted the dates of the first and last comment on the page.  After each post heading, I have noted the date the post was originally made or, if updated for content, the date of the last update.  If a content update has been done in the last week or so, the word "MORE!" will appear.

The members who've commented on a particular page are now listed, with folks who left more than one comment on the page noted with "(x2)," "(x3)" and so on.  NEW!  "First timers" are highlighted in red.

Page 11

Update No. 10, Part 3 (cont'd) - Superdetailing the Stream- Rocks and Logs 6-7-06 -   

Shameless Eye Candy No. 3 - Running the Roaring Fork

Shameless Eye Candy No. 3 - Running the Roaring Fork (cont'd)

Commenters include:  tchaos713, Battlecat, sebes, Rayden (x2), lardonbur, thetryer, Darmok (x2), bat, GMT, Daddy-O, ElBarto92, georgec5614, pixelrage, Tommy_Vercetti3, jacqulina, Yoman3, mightygoose, HamsterTK, jasperdeman.nl, mattb325, cinnebar, psteverific, and sandrasim1

Page 12

Shameless Eye Candy No. 3 - Running the Roaring Fork (cont'd)

Update No. 10, Part 3 (cont'd) - Game Water Transparency Issues

Three Month Anniversary Post; A Few Pics of Quartz Creek Mine and Vicinity

Update No. 10, Part 3 (cont'd) - Game Water Transparency Issues- Resolved!

Commenters include:  Tommy_Vercetti3, Darmok (x3), Rayden, sloppet, koffee, GMT, tchaos713 (x3), Yoman3 (x2), Shadow_Assassin (x2), JoeMeister (x2), GaBoR, sandrasim1, jacqulina, Cjah, owenluby, cinnebar, and bat

Page 13

Update No. 10, Part 3 (cont'd) - We Superdetail and Complete Our Surface Water Stream

We've got Mail...

We've got Mail (cont'd)...

We've got Mail (cont'd)...; A few Teaser Pics

Commenters include:  Battlecat (x3), jacqulina, tchaos713, bat, ElBarto92 (x2), Fabiocb (x2), Tracker (x2), brtim2, szarkoz, GaBoR, Fallon144, Kwakelaar, Rayden, GMT, Darmok, chocolatemax285, and JoeMeister

Page 14

On the Road - Shameless Eye Candy No. 4

On the Road - Shameless Eye Candy No. 4 (cont'd)

On the Road - A RL Excursion to Big Bend NP; Rapids Teaser Pics

Commenters include:  Rayden (x2), bat (x2), Tommy_Vercetti3 (x2), Yoman3 (x3), Battlecat, jacqulina, Darmok (x2), threestooges (x2), tchaos713, Micah, ElBarto92 (x2), Shadow_Assassin, ThePeoplesPerson, mightygoose, jacqulina, and van1357

Page 15

On the Road - Ploppable Water Rapids

On the Road - Thoughts about Image Size; A RL Visit to Carlsbad Caverns; Pics of Pratt Island

On the Road - Responses to Your Questions, Comments and Requests

Commenters include:  seemurray2, tchaos713 (x2), Darmok (x2), GMT, E.J.C, Rayden (x2), Micah, Battlecat, ElBarto92, KT3, sloppet, jacqulina, TinySim, dfnva, halo_lover, psteverific, Tommy_Vercetti3, Yoman3, zelgadis, fallon144, dussin23, mattb325, Shadow_Assassin, and NicolaiS

Page 16

On the Road - A Tutorial on Creating a Simple Regional Road Map

On the Road - Elevated Highways...

Two Surface Water Rapids Pics...

We've got Mail...

An ST Crash, We Take a Break and Random Pics to Tide You Over...

Commenters include:  kant01 (x2), NicolaiS, KT3, dfnva, Equilibria, gurrgkud (x2), ThePeoplesPerson, van1357, Darmok (x2), jacqulina (x2), dussin23, Rayden (x2),Tommy_Vercetti3, aleking, pickled_pig, Battlecat, Fallon144, Fabiocb, and tchaos713

Page 17

Waterfall Teaser 01

Waterfall Teaser 02

Waterfalls - Overview

Waterfalls (cont'd) - Tutorial

500th Post!

Commenters includejacqulina (x4), Yoman3 (x2), Rayden (x2), threestooges, ElBarto92, Darmok (x2), GaBoR, tchaos713 (x2), anubis89, KT3, fallon144, TinySim, GMT, MiniMark, Sim shady, Tommy_Vercetti3, Shadow_Assassin, and SoulStealer

Page 18

Shameless Eye Candy No. 5

Commenters includeBattlecat, Molibdo (x2), bat, Adley, mightygoose (x2), JADsHome, changhao (x2), Rayden, sorchin, PhilsCafe, blahdy, seemurray, aleking, Sim shady, anubis89, jacqulina, justanothersim86, ElBarto92, tchaos713, Goin2Chicago, and sanantonio

Page 19

Shameless Eye Candy No. 6

Mapping

Commenters includebat (x3), PhilsCafe, jeronij, threestooges, Fabiocb, Tommy_Vercetti3 (x2), tchaos713 (x2), van1357 (x2), Rayden, rw0381c, usnaguy, Sim shady, dfnva, jacqulina, patriots_1228, cityhawk, capitol1, anubis89, ElBarto92 (x2), and Shadow_Assassin

Page 20 7-31-06 - 8-3-06

Mapping - Update 2 8-1-06

...Another Map... 8-2-06

Commenters include:  Rayden, XSpiderman, rw0381c, gurrgkud, jacqulina (x2), ElBarto92 (x2), tchaos713, sorchin (x2), pickled_pig, cityhawk, bat (x2), NicolaiS, Tommy_Vercetti3, ript73 (x2), ThePeoplesPerson, sanantonio, terrymunweihao, GMT, collgab (x2), Sim Shady, and Battlecat 

[ Return to top of page 11 through 20 ]   [ On to page 21 through current ]

• Original Poster
  • 3rrsplashtf4.jpg

I can't count the number of times over the past few years I've read a CJ that more or less started with the words

I've been playing Sim City since...quote>

Well, now I'm finally going to say them, too.

Hi, folks, I'm D. Edgren (a thinly disguised attempt to hide my real name).  I'm a lawyer, an urban planner (MURP from Virginia Commonwealth University, 1988) and...

...wait for it...

...I've been playing Sim City since 1989...

First on a Mac SE30, then through 2000, 3000 and now 4 on PCs.  There isn't a better spare-time use of a computer.

Rush Hour, though, was what I thought I'd been waiting for all along.  The improvements that RH introduced made cities come alive, and allowed some remarkably sophisticated "tinkering" to be done from an urban design standpoint.

Over the years, I don't know how many cities I created and then abandoned.  As good as it is, though, even with RH, SC4's play value, like every other computer game the release of which represents a static moment in time, diminishes over time (Remember the original Myst? It seemed so fascinating at the time- now it just seems boring).

Then Simtropolis came along and provided the STEX, which as far as I'm concerned is a place where the gods truly do reside.  In a little bit, you'll see the plugins folder I use.  It represents just a fraction of the stuff I've downloaded over the past few years.  I won't name names- you know who you are- if you take the view that uploading a BAT, lot or modd is like publishing an original creation, well- your collected works reside on my computer.

The STEX and those who post stuff there for the community reinvent the game literally every day.  Some of the things that have been added are nothing short of amazing.  The NAM, for instance.  If you have been using it for any time at all, try going back to living without it.

The following are a few images from Pineshore, one of the cities in the region, that each would be impossible (and bo...ring) without downloads from the STEX.

pineshoredualtrainstationjd6.jpg

pineshorefarm*****echjf3.jpg

pineshorenewmanincwarehousert5.jpg

pineshorestackinterchangebz0.jpg

pineshorewteplantft3.jpg

pineshorewindriverroadbridgeji5.jpg

Amazing stuff, all that.  An SC4 session is now so open-ended, so limitless, that you can just get lost in it.

Anyway, my thanks to ST, Dirk and the admins for creating an amazing place on the web for this amazing game- and to the BATters, lotters (?) and modders without whose selfless efforts ST would be a ghost town.

Anyway, enough of that.  On to Three Rivers Region!

EDIT: (8/16/06) Moved pics to ImageShack.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents - Page 21 through 30

After each page number, I have noted the dates of the first and last comment on the page.  After each post heading, I have noted the date the post was originally made or, if updated for content, the date of the last update.  If a content update has been done in the last week or so, the word "MORE!" will appear.

The members who've commented on a particular page are now listed, with folks who left more than one comment on the page noted with "(x2)," "(x3)" and so on.  NEW!
      "First timers" are highlighted in red.

Page 21 8-04-06 - 8-11-06

...Yet Another Map... 8-4-06

We've got Mail... 8-8-06

We've got Mail...(cont'd) 8-8-06

We've got Mail...(cont'd) 8-9-06

Commenters includeSim shady, your_adress_here, Yoman3, cityhawk, collgab, bat, Rayden (x2), jacqulina (x3), owenluby (x2), Mikeaut1, sorchin (x3), threestooges (x2), PhilsCafe (x2), gurrgkud, Darmok, GMT, van1357, and jacqulina

Page 22

Map of Pratt Island

Updated Regional Base Map

Calling All Lurkers!

Moving Pics to ImageShack

Commenters includetchaos713, bat (x2), jacqulina (x3), Rayden (x2), usnaguy, SpecialEddie, sorchin (x2), threestooges, cityhawk, Sim shady, Darmok, van1357, dfnva, PhilsCafe (x2), rw0381c, ript73, and szarkoz

Page 23 8-16-06 - 8-21-06

Land and Water Regional Map 8-19-06

We've got Mail...; 10,000 Page Views! 8-20-06

Commenters includeShoreman905, crazychickensc12, owenluby (x3), tchaos713, Mulefisk, richiedamien, pickled_pig, meldolion, capitol1, Rayden, ElBarto92 (x2), silvurphlame, van1357, eliskokool16, jacqulina (x2), bat, NicolaiS, dadyrghluv, fredo50, Darmok, cityhawk, ThePeoplesPerson, PhilsCafe, and sorchin

Page 24 8-21-06 - 8-25-06

We've got Mail...(cont'd); Elevated Highway to One-Way Road Exits Mini-Tutorial 8-21-06

The RL Blues; To 3RR's Readers from Japan; The "Lost Alaskan" 8-23-06

We've got Mail...(cont'd) 8-24-06

We've got Mail...(cont'd); SC4 Contour Lines
     8-25-06   

Commenters includeript73, bat (x2), Tommy_Vercetti3, Rayden (x2), owenluby, jacqulina (x2), PhilsCafe (x2), van1357, sorchin, tchaos713, Charles Rodulfo, Nik-nik (x2), garvamatic, owenluby, Gaston, mas71, crazychickensc12, mightygoose, Darmok, rw0381c, and szarkoz

Page 25

A couple of pics from the 3RR Map Lab; Current region map

Two more pics from the Map Lab; Adding Major Roads and Interchange symbols

Commenters includedelta07, patfirefightr (x2), Gaston (x3), justanotherhiddennow, PhilsCafe, jacqulina (x2), zelgadis, ElBarto92, wouanagaine, anubis89, nycsc4, cityhawk, Brad-MacD, sorchin, Nik-nik, aleking, Darmok, ElBarto92, tchaos713, mrbisonm, Sim shady, blahdy, and owenluby

Page 26

Yet more pics from the 3RR Map Lab; Road network mapping completed

How far apart in elevation are the "game" contour lines?

Commenters includeszarkoz, sorchin (x2), crazychickensc12, PhilsCafe, psteverific, Gaston (x2), GaBoR, bat (x3), Nik-nik, jacqulina (x3), capitol1, Camedia (x2), Yoman3, van1357, Shadow_Assassin, Darmok, rooker1, cityhawk, Rayden, -DJ-DIABLO-, and ript73

Page 27

Back to the 3RR Map Lab; City Boundaries; Rescaling the Map

Mapping - Update 3; What to do if you're bored- Some Linkies

Commenters includeGaston (x3), PhilsCafe (x2), sorchin (x2), Nik-nik, Rayden, asturianu, natedoggg, SpecialEddie, HamsterTK, jacqulina (x2), cityhawk (x2), Fallon144, crazychickensc12 (x2), capitol1, tchaos713, bat, Darmok, amal81, szarkoz, and ldvger

Page 28

Pegging the 3RR Page View Counter; We Answer Your Questions 11-3-06  MORE!

On the Road Again - Wasilla to Fairbanks

Commenters includejacqulina, dogscarletnyc, GMT, asturianu (x4), Rayden (x2), RushHourFreak (x2), cityhawk, szarkoz, ldvger, jacqulina (x2), tchaos713, Gaston (x2), lilred731 (x2), capitol1, sorchin, ral70, owenluby, fallon144, Nik-nik, and meldolion

Page 29 9-14-06 - 9-17-06

On the Road Again - Pics of Mount McKinley; First Words about Scale (Finally!) 9-14-06

On the Road Again - RL rears it Ugly Head; Further Thoughts on Ploppable Water and Creating Surface Waterways) 9-15-06

On the Road Again - We spot some roadkill... 9-16-06

We Answer More of Your Questions 9-17-06

Commenters includecrazychickensc12, Gaston (x4), Tommy_Vercetti3 (x2), meldolion, jacqulina (x3), topdog555, owenluby, bat, Darmok, Nik-nik, Rayden, PhilsCafe, chocolatemax285, lilred731, brtim2, Elbarto92, capitol1, threestooges, ldvger, and sorchin

Page 30 9-17-06 - 9-23-06

We are Simply Amazed by a City Life Pic! 9-18-06

Rail Lines on the Regional Map 9-18-06

Route Numbers on the Regional Map 9-19-06

We Join the Google Map Craze! 9-23-06

Commenters includeldvger, Nik-nik (x2), jacqulina (x4), hamsterTK, asturianu, bat (x2), threestooges, cityhawk, Rayden, owenluby, sorchin, van1357, psteverific, Gaston (x3), Darmok, lilred731, Tommy_Vercetti3, and crazychickensc12

[ Return to top of page 21 through 30 ]  [ On to page 31 through current ]

That's cool how you can make green trees and grass work wonderfully with an industrial park. Great job! It really looks good.

• Original Poster
  • xmenkool:  Pegasus' (I am not worthy...not worthy)  great "Brigantine" water mod.  It's here-

http://www.simtropolis.com/stexindex.cfm?keyword=PEG%20WATER%20MOD%20%20Brigantine

EDIT  Don't use that link- it's broken.  This one brings up the file:  http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?keyword=brigantine

I left the other in so that an admin or someone who knows how the new ST should work can see that a link that should go straight to the page raises an error message.

mayormommy:  Thanks.  Funny, most of my living room furniture is green, too....

Table of Contents

Table of Contents - Page 31 through 40

The members who've commented on a particular page are now listed, with folks who left more than one comment on the page noted with "(x2)," "(x3)" and so on.  NEW!  "First timers" are highlighted in red.

Page 31 9-23-06 - 9-29-06

Scale: From the Game to the Real World 10-1-06

We Correct Errors and Respond to Some Comments... 10-3-06

Commenters include:  Yoman3, Gaston (x5), asturianu (x2), sorchin (x2), Rayden (x3), owenluby (x2), threestooges, tchaos713, Shadow_assassin, jacqulina, Nik-nik (x2), Duvad, bat, ElBarto92 (x2), Tommy_Vercetti3, and hamsterTK

Page 32 9-29-06 - 10-5-06

Scale: 3RR versus the 'burbs 10-4-06

Maps and Roads 10-6-06

Scale: We look for possible RL models 10-6-06

We whine some... 10-4-06

Commenters include:  capital1, jacqulina, bat, threestooges, Darmok, Gaston (x2), SpecialEddie, asturianu (x2), north_country_dude, owenluby, Shadow_Assassin (x2), Nik-nik, jacqulina (x2), Rayden (x2), terrymunweihao (x2), ElBarto92, Tommy_Vercetti3, Menotyou, and tchaos713 

Page 33 10-5-06 - 10-8-06

We stop whining 10-6-06

Scale: A closer look at urban area density 10-9-06

An ImageShack scare; We engage in a cover-up 10-8-06

Commenters include:  Darmok (x2), owenluby, Nik-nik (x2), tchaos713 (x3), Tarkus, Gaston (x5), terrymunweihao (x2), threestooges (x2), meldolion (x2), PhilsCafe, Rayden, st louis dude, Tommy_Vercetti3, Fischbob, captol1, zelgadis, and sorchin

Page 34 10-9-06 - 10-11-06

What's in a name?; We end the cover-up 10-9-06

Someone, quick...call the grammar police! 10-10-06

We've got Mail... 10-12-06

Commenters include:  wouanagaine, bat, Tommy_Vercetti3, Yoman3, GMT, Livin in Sim (x2), Shadow_Assassin, Rayden (x3), jacqulina (x2), terrymunweihao, van1357, tchaos713 (x2), crazychickensc12, Gaston, ElBarto92, meldolion, jplumbley, beskhu3epnm, threestooges, Nik-nik, PhilsCafe, and Tarkus

Page 35 10-11-06 - 10-15-06

We hit 1,000 posts and 15,000 page views 10-13-06

The "Intervening Post Machine" 10-12-06

We put jeronij's Ploppable Rocks on the STEX 10-17-06

We try to animate water 10-13-06

Scale - Whither 3RR? 10-14-06

Commenters include:  Gaston (x3), WorfoSAUR, owenluby (x3), meldolion, asturianu (x2), Darmok (x2), jacqulina, fredo50, beachfrontproperty, Rayden, terrymunweihao, tchaos713, PhilsCafe, Nik-nik, Yoman3, zelgadis, MasterPlanMan, sorchin, and mybrunswick

Page 36 10-15-06 - 10-20-06

We've got Mail... (cont'd) 10-16-06

We've got Mail... (cont'd) 10-17-06

We've got Mail... (cont'd) 10-17-06

A new 3RR Map Lab Pic; We begin preparing to use the Terraformer 10-18-06

Map Lab; A greyscale region contour map 10-18-06

A sneak peek at the Terraformer in action; A question of scale 10-19-06

Commenters include:  asturianu, Rayden (x3), meldolion (x2), PhilsCafe, jacqulina, Tommy_Vercetti3, ElBarto92 (x2), hamsterTK (x2), tchaos713 (x2), Nik-nik, Livin in Sim, threestooges, Shadow_Assassin, PhilsCafe, bat, DioAngel, crazychickensc12, and Tarkus

Page 37 10-20-06 - 10-23-06

Map Lab; Creating the detailed greyscale 10-20-06

Test Terraformer PNG; Greyscales, new cheats (!) and a dedgren ImageShack page 10-22-06  MORE!

"Some Random Label" 10-22-06

We complete the greyscale; Output from SC4TF 10-23-06  MORE!

We lie...uhhh...misspeak; Running the Roaring Fork Revisited 10-24-06  MORE!

Commenters include:  Darmok, MGawlik, jacqulina, Nik-nik (x2), DioAngel (x3), threestooges, GMT, Shadow_Assassin, sorchin, Gaston (x2), asturianu, tchaos713 (x2), Rayden, wouanagaine, emelin, and bat

Page 38 10-24-06 - 10-26-2006

3RR162 10-24-06

Initializing the quads 10-25-06  MORE!

The 3RR TOC; Progress on the quads 10-26-06

More progress on the quads; A big announcement? 10-26-06

Commenters include:  Darmok, tommiej (x2), jacqulina (x2), bat (x2), psteverific (x2), threestooges (x2), Gaston (x2), sanantonio, UnkleS27, tchaos713, hamsterTK, Shadow_Assassin, thundercrack83, Nik-nik, seemurray2, patfirefghtr (x2), Schulmanator, Waz_Up_Tiger, and crazychickensc12

Page 39 10-27-06 - 10-29-06

Alaska Eye Candy; Glimpses of the Plan; More complete quads 10-27-06

Almost there... 10-28-06

Crime of the Century?; All done! 10-29-06

Commenters include:  emelin, JLT-001, ElBarto92 (x2), Tommy_Vercetti3, jacqulina, WorfoSAUR, chocolatemax285, Rayden, Tarkus, psteverific, cityhawk, Gaston, patfirefghtr (x2), thundercrack83, mrbisonm, threestooges, Kokopelli, Yoman3, purpledaddy, moganite, owenluby (x2), zelgadis, crazychickensc12, and tchaos713

Page 40 10-29-06 - 11-2-06

Initializing the quads- a recap; First steps at terraforming 10-30-06

Getting the mountains right- A real topo for comparison 10-31-06

Commenters include:  thundercrack83, meldolion, Nik-nik (x2), jacqulina, purpledaddy, peng74, bat, wouanagaine, Fred_Ginger, Tommy_Vercetti3 (x2), threestooges, crazychickensc12, owenluby (x2), Shadow_Assassin (x2), Rayden (x2), Fallon144, -M-, chocolatemax285, jacqulina, Darmok, GMT, Gaston, and raul39

[ Return to top of page 31 through 40 ]   [ On to page 41 through current ]

• Original Poster
  • Micah: Hi.  Thanks, just for my info, though, what other colors of grass and trees are available? (in my experience they- at least the leafy bits- tend to be, in season, green).

Just kidding- I do, as you will see, whatever I can to try to keep lots of forested areas in my cities, both through purposeful forested greenbelts and by not developing marginal areas (slopes come to mind).  Freeway corridors (ground and elevated highways) also provide some opportunity for "green" corridors. 

Table of Contents

Table of Contents - Page 41 through current

Page 41 11-2-06 - 11-06-06

Are we getting the mountain terraforming right? 11-2-06

cycledogg's Columbus Terrain mod; Snow falls on the mountains 11-3-06

Revisiting the SC4Terraformer; A post per day 11-3-06

The assembly lines of the Planet Magrathea; A really big progress pic 11-3-06

Getting river width right 11-6-06  MORE!

Commenters include:  Kokopelli (x2), Bishop Hawke, threestooges, owenluby (x3), Darmok, bat (x2), Nik-nik (x2), Rayden, crazychickensc12, tommiej, jacqulina (x2), emilin, WorfoSAUR, Shadow_Assassin, GMT, meldolion, JLT-001, Livin in Sim, and raul39

Page 42 11-6-06 - 11-9-06

Terraforming the quads: Two rows down 11-6-06

Terraforming the quads: Over a third done 11-7-06

Snow!: We take a look at the snow cheat 11-8-06

Commenters include:  Gaston, ElBarto92 (x2), Rayden, jacqulina (x5), owenluby (x3), hamsterTK, mightygoose, crazychickensc12 (x2), cityhawk, patfirefghtr, MasterPlanMan, Peng74 (x2), Nik-nik, tchaos713, Darmok, raul39, hondo42769, threestooges, and asturianu

Page 43 11-9-06 - 11-12-06

Terraforming the quads: A bit over half done! 11-9-06

Terraforming the quads: Almost there... 11-11-06MORE!

Terraforming the quads: 256! 11-12-06

Commenters include:  Darmok, Tommy_Vercetti3, Shadow_Assassin, GMT (x2), bat (x2), jacqulina (x2), Schulmanator (x2), Kokopelli (x2), threestooges, Menotyou (x2), KingTitan, hondo42769, crazychickensc12, szarkoz, toxicpiano, gecko_2006, DeKameelvanAli, Tarkus, and emilin

Page 44 11-12-06 - 11-16-06

A 3RR162 location map 11-13-06

We correct a mistake 11-16-06

Commenters include:  tommiej. richiedamien, Rayden, JLT-001, jacqulina, cityhawk, crazychickensc12, owenluby, patfirefghtr, Darmok, Low Light (x2), jasperdeman.nl, raul39, bat, seemurray2, DioAngel, Camedia, Livin in Sim, purpledaddy, hondo42769, Gaston, Nik-nik, asturianu, Elektra, Shadow_Assassin, Menotyou, and szarkoz

Page 45 11-17-06 - 11-19-06

Experiments in Arboriculture 11-17-06

Which rock mod?; We do our first poll 11-17-06

Experiments in Arboriculture #2 11-18-06

Commenters include:  jacqulina (x4), threestooges, james4245, capitol1, antipat, Menotyou, Elektra, Rayden, meldolion, chocolatemax285, Schulmanator, tchaos713, hondo42769 (x2), Tommy_Vercetti3, MasterPlanMan, crazychickensc12, flame1396, Gaston, football_fever, bat, patriots_1228, emilin, and pickled_pig

Page 46 11-19-06 - 11-23-06

We tell you where to go; "Homebrew" interchanges 11-19-06

We near 20,000 page views; Rock mods revisited 11-21-06

A friend rolls the odometer; Crazy Chicken Flats: Another map correction 11-21-06

Have a list... 11-22-06

Wouanagaine. Is. God.- SC4TF contour line pics 11-23-06

Commenters include:  infinitum19, Darmok (x2), threestooges, gecko_2006, jacqulina (x2), purpledaddy, Rayden, GMT (x2), dadyrghluv, crazychickensc12 (x2), Gaston, Dr.Gonzo, Elektra, owenluby, jasperdeman.nl, raul39, Nik-nik, exodus101, Livin in Sim, hondo42769, and asturianu

Page 47 11-23-06 - 11-30-06

Terraforming fine detail- NE 11-27-06

Terraforming fine detail: SW 11-28-06

A NW fine detail terraforming teaser 11-29-06

Commenters include:  mightygoose, Gaston, wouanagaine, threestooges, chocolatemax285, Nik-nik (x2), patriots1228 (x2), RushHourFreak, jacqulina (x3), hondo42769 (x2), Darmok, tchaos713, DanTso, rooker1, bat, crazychickensc12, seemurray2, UnkleS27, Fallon144, owenluby, Nardo69, and emilin

Page 48 11-30-06 - 12-02-06

Terraforming fine detail- SE 11-30-06

A potpourri post- Yes, I admit I'm an attorney; Some Alaska eye candy; Progress on fine detail terraforming NW 11-30-06      

Terraforming fine detail- NW; My 1,000th forum post 12-01-06    

Terraforming fine detail- The whole enchilada! 12-01-06 

Naming features- NE 12-02-06 

Commenters include: mightygoose, jacqulina (x3), ElBarto92, hondo42769 (x3), st louis dude, crazychickensc12 (x2), Rayden, owenluby (x2), Gaston (x2), thundercrack83, tchaos713, Dr.Gonzo, exodus101, emelin, Schulmanator, WorfoSAUR, and HamsterTK

Page 49 12-02-06 - 12-05-06

Naming features- SE; First glimpse at true SC4 topo 12-02-06

3RR quarter-region maps on the STEX! 12-03-06

Mount Gaston 12-03-06

We've got Mail... 12-05-06

Commenters include:jacqulina (x2), bat, wouanagaine (x2), Rayden, bourneid, Darmok (x2), pvarcoe, Gaston (x2), infinitum19, Livin in Sim, hondo42769, meldolion (x2), Nik-nik, chocolatemax285, patfirefghtr, WorfoSAUR, tchaos713, three_stooges, and crazychickensc12  

Page 50 12-5-06 - 12-8-06

A few remarks about the Trixies and reaching page 50; 3RR162 is on the STEX! 12-6-06

3RR before and after 12-7-06

Johnny Appleseed at Work 12-8-06

Commenters include:wouanagaine, owenluby (x2), thundercrack83, Tarkus, jacqulina (x3), Nik-nik, Darmok, kokopelli, asturianu, Nardo69, hondo42769 (x3), exodus101, szarkoz, Low Light, mightygoose, webmaster76, Gaston, anubis89, bat, van1357, Livin in Sim, and jasperdeman.nl  

[ Return to top of page 41 through current ]   [ On to page 51 through current ]

• Original Poster
  • 3rrsplashtf4.jpg

So, a little about the cyber universe of Three Rivers Region ("3RR") from this point before I start.

First, I play generally on a HP Pavilion desktop, P4 processor at 3.2 GHz and 1 GB (more badly needed, but oddly enough not for SC4, which, as I will note later, seems to run just fine in that much RAM).  The monitor is a HP Pavilion f1903 19" LCD and it the nicest one I have ever owned, hands down.  I also run the game on a Toshiba Satellite laptop with an M50 processor (? GHz and ? RAM- but it seems plenty fast and again, no SC4 problems).

Organizing the Plugins Folder

Second, I have a carefully organized plugins folder that, as of today (UPDATE: March 12, 2006, when this was written- six months later it's somewhat larger), has a gig of files (1,084,963,388 bytes to be exact) in it.  I've put a lot of thought into organizing my plugins folder (both of them, actually, but I'm referring here to the one in the "My Documents" directory) over the years.  I attribute the smooth running of my game, which I can get to crash, but usually only through flat-out stupidity (D^#m transit-enabled lot hover bug) to this effort.

pluginsfolderat3.jpg

Here's the folder itself on the desktop (naked for all to see, as it were).  Since the SC4 engine reads files in a linear ASCII order on startup all the way to the end of a nest of folders before beginning on the next (or so I am told), I have four subfolders at this level:

001, which is basically props, textures and most modds;

100, which contains most BATs and lots;

900, which contains the NAM (oh, sacred chalice...); and

999, which is anything that requires "load last" treatment.

Thus, the SC4 engine loads props, textures and modds, then lots and BATs, then the NAM, then stuff that has to load after everything else.

I organize the subfolders in those four folders by the name of the author/creator, unless I don't (Ha-ha...but you'll see why in a minute).  I also really try to adhere to the defaults set forth in the increasingly used self-installers in downloads.  Thus, citynut and deadwoods have nothing in their BAT/lot subfolder but dust, as that stuff is all in a BSC folder.

I think, by the way, the eternal gratitude of this community would go to the Simtropian who would be able to impose uniform three letter IDs for each author/creator (pegasus = PEG, deadwoods = DWD, bobbo662 = B62, simgoober = GOD and so on), put that code in a uniform place in each download file name and then establish some further uniformit as to where stuff goes once it extracts.  To BSC in the BLS subfile?  Fine, but all the frickin' time, please.

As an aside, when I download a file, I always code it with a six-digit year/month/date (YYMMDD) as the first six characters that are followed by a [space]-[space], and then it always goes in the author/creator's download file, which is under the name that appears in the STEX.  That way, I can figure out updates really quickly, as I know when I downloaded the file.  You folks who update the same day you upload...well...thanks for being speedy, if nothing else.

So, here's the top of the 001 (props, textures and modds) subfolder.

001folderut3.jpg

Trust me, if I want to find a prop in there, I can find it.

The top of the BAT/lot subfolder.

100folderme9.jpg

More subfolders, but still really pretty easy to navigate around in.

The top of the NAM subfolder.

900folderwz1.jpg

I'll be darned, I put the NAM in there.

And last but not least...

999folderqj5.jpg

The stuff that goes last, by author/creator.  The number in front of each subfolder is (you guessed it) the order of loading (I'll add a leading zero to each subfolder name when I get to 10 of them).  In other words, some last things are laster than others.

All these, I note take about two minutes to get from double-clicking the SC4 icon on the desktop through the (Zzzzzzzzzzzz) movie (hint- hit the escape key) to the "region" screen, and then about four more minutes (a lifetime in cyberspace, but in cyberspace no one can hear you scream) from the city selection button to the up-and-running city itself.

Another environment element, which I'll just note in passing, are the game parameters that are set on the "region" view.  Here's what mine currently are.

programsettingsnw9.jpg

Tomorrow - On to the region view, a little about the way I play (hint, I...shhhhhhhh...cheat), and on to Wind River, the first city we'll look at.

EDIT:  (8/16/06)  Moved pics to ImageShack

Table of Contents

Table of Contents - Page 51 through current

The members who've commented on a particular page are now listed, with folks who left more than one comment on the page noted with "(x2)," "(x3)" and so on. 
    NEW!  "First timers" are highlighted in red.

Page 51 12-9-06 - 12-15-06

Progress shot; Thanks for 1,500 posts! 12-9-06

Adding lodgepole pines 12-11-06

Some links for thundercrack83; Foresting Pratt Island 12-12-06

Commenters include: Gaston (x2), tchaos713, jacqulina (x3), cityhawk (x2), luker91, owenluby (x2), thundercrack83 (x3), fallon144, crazychickensc12, Darmok, GMT, threestooges, hondo42769, Shadow_Assassin, emilin, hamsterTK, kokopelli, Schulmanator, pickled_pig, and keithsed  

alertlightel9.gif   Page 52 12-15-06 - current post

3RR-SW placename map 12-15-06

Commenters include: owenluby and bat   

[ Return to top of page 51 through current ]     

Originally posted by: dedgren

Micah: Hi.  Thanks, just for my info, though, what other colors of grass and trees are available? (in my experience they- at least the leafy bits- tend to be, in season, green). Just kidding- I do, as you will see, whatever I can to try to keep lots of forested areas in my cities, both through purposeful forested greenbelts and by not developing marginal areas (slopes come to mind).  Freeway corridors (ground and elevated highways) also provide some opportunity for "green" corridors.quote>

@ Dedgren: As far as I

*reorganizise plugins folder....(what a mess...)8.gif

yeah but you do have a point it would be easier if every one used self installers . but like my self included did not know about it then till I played simcity 4.
    Well heres to wishfull thinking 2.gif

• Original Poster
  • 3rrsplashtf4.jpg

Yesterday in my first posts on this journal, I passed on a little bit of information about myself and about the cyberspace environment in which Three Rivers Region ("3RR") exists.  I plan, as time permits, to post two entries today that mainly deal with the way that I approach creating and developing regions and cities in SC4 and the reason why I would be so bold as to think you, the dear reader, might be interested.

First though, the mail...

Since the last update, Micah wrote me back about green areas in my cities (sorry, Micah, for pulling your leg a bit- I try to keep my wise-guy tendencies in check, but...).  I'll note here further that they tend to have lots of treed areas because, when I start a city, I always do three things before I lay out the first zone.

1.   Set funds to a billion dollars or so (more about this later in the "sandbox" discussion part of today's entries).

2.  Lay out the basic transport network (freeways, main roads and rail).

3.  Forest (used as a verb, like to "party") the entire city.

Here's a few example shots from a region called Arcadia showing the results of steps 2 and 3.

arcadiabasemc9.jpg

The whole region with transport and trees in place, but no development.

northeasttreescj9.jpg

A shot of the end result in the city of Northeast.  You can see how development would leave lots of trees standing.

northeastgodmodetoolbarqv5.jpg

Once the transport is all down, I [CNTRL]-[ALT]-[sHIFT] to the God Mode toolbar...

northeastaddinggodmodetreesut1.jpg

...and play Johnny Appleseed to my heart's content.

Here's a few shots of another city, Southwest, in the region.

southwest1ky0.jpg

southwest2fv8.jpg

southwest3ba1.jpg

[i was really into extreme terrain those days]

I'll talk about a fourth step I've started doing, which is to detail river banks, in connection with discussing Wind River later on.

Micah, btw, thanks for letting me know cheating is okay.  Actually, I have always referred to it as "taking advantage of all available options."  Again, more about this when I discuss the "sandbox" approach.

swesim:  The availability of other colors of trees on the STEX does not surprise me- actually when I think about it, I have a pretty good range of standard tree colors available on my Mayor Mode flora toolbar (blue and purple, though?)  You raise the issue, which I noted in passing, of seasonal color change.  That's always been a hard one for me on SC4.  I absolutely adore PEG's seasonal trees (and for that matter, virtually everything else that particular STEX God has created over the years).  The problem is that the season-changing thing is not implemented across the board.  Imagine a stand of Cyclepuppy's aspen automatically turning gloriously yellow and gold in the fall game months.  It probably could be implemented for the various flavors of deciduous trees available in the game (there are what now, with the work jeronij has done, upwards of 25 or so?).  Then comes winter, though...  It sounds like a lot of work (not that I would wish someone would do it- more about that later on in this CJ, too).

Thanks too for your comment about organizing plugins.  I have downloaded Andreas Roth/SBFTs' plugin manager, but the demands of RL have kept me from implementing it yet.  I have to say that, if it does what I understand that it does, it is a great addition to the tools one has at hand for use in the game.  That said, I bet it works best when your plugins folder is well organized to begin with.

jacqulina:  I was waiting for your encouragement...people are so great in this community.  Thanks.

xmencool:  I think the point of the whole plugins folder situation is that it cries out for someone to take charge.  There could be simple protocols developed that would mean, as I found when I really started looking at mine, that you don't have seven copies of the same prop or texture file in various places in your plugins folder.

If you are really brave, scan your plugins folder (make a backup, first) with a program like doublekiller.  It's freeware, and you can get it from

http://www.bigbangenterprises.de/en/doublekiller/

You probably will be amazed what you find that you have two or three (or four or five or....) of.

If you're really brave, get rid of the extras.  I can't speak for Maxis/EA software developers, but I can speak anecdotally- there is no requirement or use for any duplicated prop or texture file in the plugins folder.  Happy deleting!

This has run long, so I'll break today's update into three posts instead of two.

[btw, can anyone tell me how to edit my "topic summary" line?  I started out yesterday thinking I would refresh it whenever I posted new updates.  If it can be modified by the owner of the CJ, I don't see how, though.  Thanks in advance for the help.]

EDIT:  (8/16/06)  Moved pics to ImageShack.

I can see this CJ going somewhere.  A ton of theory about how to play the game, and it's clear and understandable also.  You make me realize how my simplistic and nonexistant method of plugin-folder orginization has no logic.  Other than the default directories that installers give me, everything's all over the place, often by theme.  Single-family homes in one directory, public service bouldings in another...

I really want to know what you're doing with your rivers... what's that green stuff in the river that I am seeing?

what a great work you have done so far, I like it the region a lot it is very scenic and those roads on the hills close to the river looks great.

Keep on the great work.

44.gif

great the program you game me is working perfictly9.gif  (10 of jeronij 's yellow fences file ;x, thanks for the pulgins folder help 2.gif . hope thier are more updates soon

• Original Poster
  • flaggerfulljx1.gif

ST was down yesterday during the time I had available to work on posting the next part of the update- probably will now post late today, Alaska Standard Time.

Thanks for everyone's patience. 

EDIT: (8/16/06)  Moved pic to ImageShack.

• Original Poster
  • As it looks like I won't have time today to do a full-up update after all, here's a few random photos of Wind River to tide everyone over...

windriverloadinghj2.jpg

#1 - Bridges over the South Fork
    windriverbridges01xl1.jpg

#2 - Transport corridor cuts at the base of Long Mountain

windrivercliffcutsdistantgx7.jpg

#3 - Farms

windriverfarms06ni1.jpg

#4 - More farms

windriverfarms07el1.jpg

#5 - Big Lake

windriverlakebig01iv0.jpg

#6 - Small Lake

windriverlakesmall01kn1.jpg

#7 - Swift Creek

windriverrapidscreek05sx7.jpg

#8 - Rail Embankment

windriverrrembankment03pn6.jpg

#9 - North shoreline

windrivershoreline03un0.jpg

#10 - Pine Creek

windriverstream02si8.jpg

#11 - Pine Creek

windriverstream23ee6.jpg

#12 - North-east corner

windriverundevelopedarea01om1.jpg

I'll post the text update I'd planned as soon as I can get back to it.

EDIT: (8/16/06)  Moved pics to ImageShack.

• Original Poster
  • 3rrsplashtf4.jpg

It looks like I have a little bit of time yet this evening, so I'll at least start the section of the Three Rivers Region ("3RR") CJ that details the mods I use when I play SC4.

First, though, I'll make a remark about the 0-5 star rating system that has appeared with the upgrade to ST5.0.  About a day after I started the CJ, I was really pleased to note that I had, on the 'links' page, a "five-star" rating.

fivestarstg5.jpg

I thought, "Well, great, folks like what they are seeing."  I didn't pay further attention, other than to resolve to keep the good stuff coming.

Today, before ST crashed, I noticed my rating had fallen precipitously, to three stars.

threestarsuw9.jpg

I. Was. Crushed.  "I should'a quit while I was ahead" crossed my mind, along with stray thoughts of suicide.  Then I clicked on the stars (subconsciously, I'm sure, thinking my cursor had magic powers to make things better).

To my surprise, I found I'd apparently been rated by two (yes, count 'em, two people).  One, apparently, gave me a really nice 5 stars (thanks loads, whoever you are!).  The other, well- had no stars to spare for poor little old me.

Two people, and now my CJ is "average" in the eyes of the world.  Well, I've gotten over it.  I'm a trial lawyer now in my day job.  Judges rule for my clients- judges rule against them.  Some days it's 5 stars, some days it's none.  Life goes on.

The point is- if you visit this CJ, take a minute and rate it.  If you like what I'm doing and saying, rate the CJ accordingly.  If you don't, also rate accordingly but, do me a favor as well.  Drop me a message, either in the CJ for all to see, or in a PM, that lets me know in reasonable detail the reason for the low rating ('you suck,' while it would be to the point, wouldn't give me a lot of info to go on).  I don't care- I just want to make 3RR the best it can be.  My conceit is that, after playing Sim City for going on two decades, I would have something to offer.  I'll be honest, I can't BAT worth poop.  I've tried.  I can't mod, either.  But I can see and think and read and pay attention.  I've got a grad degree in Urban Planning, have been to all 50 (U.S) states, have lived in a  bunch of them, have seen a lot of the world, have lived in Italy and Germany, and have great kids and a really nice dog.  I would hope that I can bring something to the CJ table.

Rate me, please, so I can be labelled based on a statistical sample larger than two.  Thanks.

[Whew!  Rant off]

Continued after dinner- hey, gotta eat, too

Hey Dedgren. Do you see your pictures now? Because for some odd reasons, I can't see any pictures while others seem to do...

And don't give too much on bad ratings. As long as that person does not feel like being constructive keep doing what you're doing 29.gif.

Originally posted by: PhilsCafe Hey Dedgren. Do you see your pictures now? Because for some odd reasons, I can't see any pictures while others seem to do... And don't give too much on bad ratings. As long as that person does not feel like being constructive keep doing what you're doing .quote>
    same here cant see pics

• Original Poster
  • windingroadwarnfullle2.gif

Hmmmmm.  Three posts right around 2:00 this morning (Alaska time) indicating my pics aren't showing up.  Others earlier and later can see them fine.  I feel like the guy in the "can you hear me now" cell phone commercial.

My pictures are hosted on one of my own computers running Apache and serving a private blog on a static IP (I know, I know, too much information).  I know it works because I can access the blog directly through the IP address.

I think that something (a firewall setting, perhaps) might be locally blocking the pictures on the computers of those who can't see them.  I have run into the same thing on my own computer in connection with viewing pictures on several web hosting services.

I use the standard ST5.0 [ IMG ] tag (without the spaces, of course).  Anyone who can't see the pics should let me know what they can see (html code, little box or whatever) so I can figger the problem out.  You can also message me.  When I get some time later today, I'll look at this some more. 

EDIT:  (8/16/06)  Move pic to ImageShack.

• Original Poster
  • detouraheadsignhy7.gif

Well, PhilsCafe, Fallon144 and Kwakelar, I know what the problem is that keeps you from seeing my pics.

Actually, to give credit where credit is due, PhilsCafe provided the essential clue in a PM early this morning.  He wrote

You asked for information about the 'invisible pictures' issue. 4.gif Well, I can only see the text sections, but no html, BBcode, small boxes or anything in between, as if the pics wouldn't be there. I'm using Firefox, btw...

... Hm, you know what's weird? The pictures do show up with Internet Explorer...

- Phil

quote>

The problem is the Firefox browser's pickiness (and my stupidity, but we won't go there...yet).

Let me show you-

Here's what a post of mine with images a few posts back looks like in Internet Explorer:

iewithpicszt6.jpg

So far, so good.  Here's, however, what the same post looks like in Firefox:

firefoxwithnopicski4.jpg

Now Firefox just gives you a ton of helpful information, doesn't it.  The pics just simply don't show up.  Nothing.  Zip.  Nada.

Browsers show what the source code tells them to, so I looked at the source code for my CJ display on Firefox.  Here it is in an area where lots of images are displayed:

firefoxcodeviewnj9.jpg 

So where's the problem in that?

Look at the slashes before and after "SC4'  in each line containing an image (they begin with "img src=").  The slash before is forward leaning (correct).  The slash after is backward leaning (incorrect).

Here it is in easier to view form.  I've highlighted the incorrect slashes in the first image line.  They are corrected in the second one.

codesnipwx1.gif

Here's what that snip of code, turned into an HTML document, looks like viewed with Firefox.

firefoxproblemab4.jpg

So, again, Firefox cares- IE doesn't (why did we already know that?).  The remaining issue, then, was to figure out where the incorrect slashes were coming from.  I saw, for a minute, visions of ST5.0 Forum software recodes putting ST offline...

...again...

...for days...

...then I happened to look at my very first post (the one where I asked whether readers of the CJ could see the first image I posted).

I saw that I had typed the slashes backwards by mistake...

...and realized that I had 'cut and pasted' the same line in every subsequent postxmenkool could see the first image because he was using IE.  I relied on that.  Things went on from there.

So why, dear reader, have I walked you through all this?  Because there's a moral to the story (other than that incorrect slashes cause Firefox image crashes).

The author of a CJ has no idea when there's a problem like this until someone takes the time and makes the effort to provide feedback.  PhilsCafe, Fallon144 and Kwakelar, besides proving that Firefox users browse in packs at about 2:00 a.m. Alaska Standard Time, really did me a big favor by letting me know my CJ was, at least for some in the community, broken.  Thanks in particular to PhilsCafe who, as noted, gave me the vital info needed to figure out why things weren't working.  The next time you see a CJ where something recently posted won't display, or pics are dark, or there is random HTML code that appears (I hate it when that happens) or some other formatting glitch, don't just leave and move on to another CJ that works better- send the author some feedback.  He or she will appreciate it 99 chances out of 100.

I'm working on a project today- I'll try to do the delayed update late, but most likely it will be posted tomorrow.  Thanks for taking the time to read all this. 

Thanks for taking the time to figure out and explain the image problem. That may help a few other folks as well. And don't worry about the stars - it appears someone on a rating rampage has gone through the CJ forum and taken everyone down a star or two in the past 24 hours. 21.gif