Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Infinite Hexamon Nexus

BRT

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Wikipedia Article Bus Rapid Transit is a system where by bus travel is designed to mimic other forms of rapid transit, such as light rail, by using seperate right-of-ways, bus stops that more closely resemble train stations with faster boarding and higher quality buses. Calgary (my home town) has recently implemented this type of service mostly as prelude to expanding the city's LRT, to begin adjusting transit patterns to support this, but systems in Los Angeles, Ottawa and other cities also use this. What would be the best way in your opinion to simulate this in SimCity? I'm thinking the ANT Network (which to be honest, I have not used) may be useful in developing this, but I'll take any ideas anyone has.

Hey I live in Calgary too (for now). I didn't know Calgary had any bus rapid transit. My own hometown just recently got onboard for this. Halifax now has a Metrolink bus service that has only three or four hub stops and basically takes people directly from the Dartmouth to the downtown. It'll soon be expanded to Bedford as well. On the route, the buses get to jump the traffic light by getting a green in their lane before anyone else and traffic lights will stay greener longer if sensors pick up a bus approaching. It apparently shaves 10 to 15 off the time it takes a normal bus to make the same trip. It's pretty snazzy way to go as far as buses are concerned. Only downside is it costs a little bit more than a regular bus ride.

As for buses in Sim City, you can kind of mimic bus rapid transit by building bus only roads. You can do this with the bus only lanes plop that is available on the STEX. Unfortunately, buses using the designated bus road would still move at the same speed they always do. However, if it were a direct route that would make it faster, if the other roads into downtown were congested, than the bus only road would become faster and, depending on how you designed it, it might not have as many intersections which would further improve speed. It's not perfect but you can make an Ottawa style transitway.

• Original Poster
  • Calgary does have a BRT service but it's not really a true BRT in the sense of having a dedicated Light Rail style system. I think Calgary Transit just chose BRT because it sounded close to LRT and made it sound cooler. A better example would the Metro Orange Line in Los Angeles, which runs on dedicated busways, with high quality buses and dedicated light rail style stations instead of paying when you board the bus. In Calgray, BRT is basically an express style bus that runs in advance of planned LRT routes. My thought is that ANT could be used to simulate this in SimCity because it looks like regular roads and uses highway speeds. I've never used this part of the NAM but if I understand correctly how it works this may work. Thoughts? Calgary BRT: Calgary Transit Website

I am not sure if this is what you mean, but in my city, the bus company operates one 'rapid' line. It connects a small remote business district of about 6000-10000 jobs to the main CBD, and passing through a high density housing project.

It's basically a normal highway split in 2, with the ANT network in the middle, and at the beginning and end of the ANT road, there's the modd that reserves roads to buses only, so buses travel freely at highway speeds in the middle of the highway. About 5000 people ride it every day. Of course you can customize with two branches of highways each side in some areas and put trees because mine looks a little bland but here are two pics:
    ant.jpg
    ant2.jpg

My PC is slow so the detail is low so that's why you don't see any cars/buses.

I actually stole the idea from a highway I saw in Charlotte, NC (US Highway 74). Here's a RW pic I found:

Catsbswy.jpg

It really works!

Yeah I've always wondered about that BRT line here in Calgary. Haven't had a reason to use it though. THis si a good question as it would be handy in the city I just started. Maybe some way to pick a bus station to forward on to one you designate. However this could be problematic if you want to connect to other lines...

I moved from Halifax to Calgary 3 years ago as well spa 4.gif I remember going to Dalhousie and living in Clayton park. The bus would take 30 minutes to get there (I could knock it down to 20 by hoping to hit a connection but I nearly always missed it). By foot it was an hour and by bicycle I could do it in 10-15.

EDIT: Is there a way to make paragraphs without html? Everything gets run together for me.

When I visited Vancouver they seemed to have a nice system as well. THey had lanes designated for commuters as well. ie People who carpool. I guess the deal was you had to ahve 3 or 4 people in the car to use these lanes? Or was two enough.

Originally posted by: Xob_Alibob

Yeah I've always wondered about that BRT line here in Calgary. Haven't had a reason to use it though. THis si a good question as it would be handy in the city I just started. Maybe some way to pick a bus station to forward on to one you designate. However this could be problematic if you want to connect to other lines...

I moved from Halifax to Calgary 3 years ago as well spa I remember going to Dalhousie and living in Clayton park. The bus would take 30 minutes to get there (I could knock it down to 20 by hoping to hit a connection but I nearly always missed it). By foot it was an hour and by bicycle I could do it in 10-15.

EDIT: Is there a way to make paragraphs without html? Everything gets run together for me.quote>

Yeah I didn't even know it existed. I live downtown right off a C-Train station so I have rarely used the bus. I too went to Dal and I have been out here in Calgary for a year and half. I'm probably moving back to Halifax in August. The transit, on the whole is bad. Your Clayton Park story rings very true. I remember missing the bus by two or three minutes one day in Waverly and having to wait an hour for another to come. Needless to say I was late for work. On the whole though I never used transit much in Halifax. If you live on the peninsula you can just walk or bike everywhere you need to go. I miss that. Calgary is definitely not a walking city.

• Original Poster
  • Calgary's Transit is overall sub-par.  The LRT system is efficient and useful, especially if you live downtown or commute there regularly, but the buses are next to useless if you're doing anything other than funnelling you to an LRT station.  I'm fortunate that I live close to work and I can walk there, but when I want to visit my family who live on the otherside of the city from me, it's a brutal hour and a half on the bus to get there.

With regards to the BRT in SimCity, I'm thinking about creating a series of specialized bus stops that are light rail in style.  I've never really played around with the BAT Tool and I'm having some problems getting started, but this seems to be a good place to start.

Ive made bus only routes a few times in a big city i built once. I had a large island with nothing but dense industrial and i remember the bus traffic to that island was so bad i built a freeway from the low wealth residential district all the way to it with only a few entrances that where only for buses and i really took care of the long commute abandonment problems i was having.

In Adelaide, Australia, there are special types of buses that can connect to special rails and travel at high speeds. The busway in Ad. is called the o-bahn busway. look it up on www.wikipedia.com . itd be interesting to see that kind of transport available on sc4. maybe sum1 could BAT it or whatever you call it.

29.gif

Yeah I too live in Calgary.. live on the red Mile.. so I just walk downtown and take the LRT from there.. cause just getting IN/OUT of downtown is just a nightmare.. wuld ya beleive it took me 30 minutes just to get to 17th ave? from the bay? by bus.. I walk from now on..