Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elton_Bush

PS3

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Does anyone know when the PS3 will come out and will it be better than the Xbox 360?

Also what about it being released in the UK?

There has been rumours that the console would come out in Spring 2006, suggested by the promotional video at the PlayStation 3 launch event. Another set of rumours say that it would be in March 2006.

I do not know the exact date when the console would be released, and when to which countries, but I think PlayStation 3 will be a good sequel to PlayStation 2 and a good rival to Microsoft Xbox 360, but of course, to make up my mind, I have to play the console first - when it gets released, that is!

Keep your ear open for talk about Halo 3, because Microsoft said that they are going to release Halo 3 when the PS3 launches.  I have heard that it is going to be in summer.  That info is back from December, so it might have changed.

Sony has yet to announce a release date for either Japan or the US. Considering that Sony will release the PS3 in Japan 6 months before it is released in the US the earliest US release date will probably be Fall of 2006. However, a spring 2007 release is definitely not out of the question.

The real reason for this is because Sony decided to use next-generation disk drive technology (Blue-Ray disks instead of Dual-Layer DVD). Right now the estimated cost to produce the PS3 is around $900 per unit. If Sony wanted to compete with Microsoft they would have to keep the PS3 in the price range of the Xbox 360 ($400). That would mean a $500 loss per unit sold. It is normal for console makers to sell units at a loss. Right now the Xbox 1 still sells at a loss. They usually make up for the money lost in game lisencing and accessories. But with a $500 loss per unit sold Sony would NEVER make that money back. Right now Sony's main concern is trying to bring down the production cost of the PS3 to a reasonable level to them. For example, the Xbox 360 itself (no accessories included, that means no HDD, controllers, ect) sells for around $270. Thats a loss of $150-$200 per unit sold.

Sony already brought out a statement saying it will likely not be released in 2006, so count on spring/summer 2007 depending on your location.
    It had something to do with technical issues, they don't want to launch a console loaded with bugs.

Originally posted by: henri_dna

It had something to do with technical issues, they don't want to launch a console loaded with bugs.quote>

Microsoft should take lessons from them. 3.gif

The PS3 has been postponed to a later date. Could come out as late as fall of 2006 or maybe even 2007. Like someone posted above, it is due to bugs. Info on the the playstation 3 can be located here.

Originally posted by: beebs

Originally posted by: henri_dna

It had something to do with technical issues, they don't want to launch a console loaded with bugs.quote>

Microsoft should take lessons from them. quote>

Actually, Microsoft shouldn't. The Xbox 360 bugs have been blown way out of proportion! The defect rate is only around 3%. Thats absolutely amazing for a console launch. When the PS2 lauched it had a 25% deffect rate.

Originally posted by: hummer0328

Originally posted by: beebs
    Originally posted by: henri_dna It had something to do with technical issues, they don't want to launch a console loaded with bugs.quote>
    Microsoft should take lessons from them. quote>
    Actually, Microsoft shouldn't. The Xbox 360 bugs have been blown way out of proportion! The defect rate is only around 25%. Thats absolutely amazing for a console launch. When the PS2 lauched it had a 3% defect rate.quote>

Yeah, but some people got pissed when they bought the 360 and it was loaded with bugs. Sony doesn't want to send a bugged platform then take it back.

edit:totaly off topic, but I'm a local yokel now. YAY! 39.gif

Xbox 360 will be better =P. That is, of course, my own opinion, but the 360 definately has more bang for the buck. Microsoft actually looses around $100 for every unit they sell, because the hardware and labor itself costs more than the actual console.

stupid microsoft, those idiots there 4.gif PS3 is well worth the wait, personally i cant wait for it, no one plays XBOX here anyway, its just plain crap. y oh y do you have to buy a harddrive!!??

First off, realize that I was a Sony fan. A year ago when the PS3 was announced I was drooling over the PS3 and not the 360. But since then my views have drastically changed.

If you want to know which console will be better I can tell already tell you that both systems have thier goods and bads. What I will try to do is try to explain why I feel the Xbox 360 is a better system and why it will (at least in some ways) win against the PS3. Notice that I will not bring the Nintendo Revolution into this battle for 2 reasons: The original poster did not ask any questions about the Revolution, and both Nintendo and Microsoft agree that they are not competing because they are catering to 2 very different markets and have very different views on gaming.

Who will win the next-gen wars?

That answer is simple. I guarentee you that Microsoft will make more money from the Xbox 360 than Sony will make from the PS3. Yeah, thats right, I WILL happen!

The reason is for this is also very simple. Who won the last console wars? No, the answer is not Sony, it is Nintendo. Why? Because the Nintendo GameCube NEVER sold at a loss (well maybe for a month or 2). The PS2 sold at a loss for 3 years, and the Xbox is still selling at a loss. This is because the console maker plans on making up the lost money in game licensing fees and overpriced accessories.

Last generation Xbox was a $%&^! to the console scene and really hurt themselves financially with thier bad business model. Basically, they didn't know how to make an inexpensive console, and they lost 4 billion $ because of it. They tied themselves into legal agreements with nVidia that still cost them an are and a leg and also tied themselves into a pre-installed HDD. This time around they learned thier lesson and are following a different developement model. They followed the Nintendo GameCube model (the most financially stable console). The GameCube is the cheapest console of the 3 to produce and it has 2x the power of the PS2 and nearly the power of the Xbox. This is why Microsoft went to ATI for thier graphics card (same company that made the GC gfx card) and IBM for the processor (again, same company that made the GC processor).

Right now the Xbox 360 still sells at a loss of $100 per unit, but that will soon decline and within 1 1/2 years they will be making a profit.

The PS3 will cost Sony $700-$900 per unit to produce. Thats a $300-$500 loss per unit sold. Sony will not be able to sell at a profit for at least another 3-4 years. See, Sony can sell all the consoles they ever dream of, but the key is to actually making money on those consoles.

System Power

Last year Sony boasted (and completely lied) when they stated the PS3 was 2x as powerful as the Xbox 360. Those numbers were heavily skewed and manipulated to purposfully make the PS3 look so powerful. Lets take a closer look at the truth. Yes, the PS3 is marginally more powerful that the 360. However, the PS3 was very haphazardly put together (while everything on the 360 is custom built) and have agreed, the PS3 has serious bottlenecks and it will be a few years before only best developers will be able to exploit the true power of the PS3. Don't expect much difference between the graphics of Xbox 360 games and PS3 games.

The main PS3 bottlenecks are:

-The divided memory architecture

-GPU is not capable of AA and HDR at the same time (right now only ATI cards can do this)

-CPU has a highly parallel structure. This is great for GFx cards and physics processes (which highly relly on parellel structure) but bad for running non-parallel processes (such as AI, polygon creation, as well as many other things running in the background).

-Low bus speeds

The things about the 360 structure that will keep the 360 and PS3 comparable in performance:

-Unified memory architecture

-Unified shader architecture - this is huge and will allow the the 360 to do some amazing things the PS3 simply can't

-10MB of embedded SUPER-high speed RAM on the 2nd graphics processor - This is also huge and is what allows the 360 to do AA, AF, and upscale/downscale resolutions on the fly without even touching the rest of the systems performance.

-DVD-drive - only having a DL-DVD drive really helps the performance. The DVD drive in the 360 can read much faster than the PS3 Blue-Ray-Drive will. This will decrease loading times significantly.

-Better developement support - Microsoft is being praised for XNA and the ease of developing for the 360, while developers are NOT generally having the same experience on the PS3.

Disk-Drives

Microsoft's system is really being put down for the lack of next-generation disk drives. Sony decided to go with a next-generation Blue-Ray Drive that has a much larger capacity than Dual-Layered DVDs. However, a next-generation DVD drive isn't really needed and is just overkill on Sony's part. The truth is that the 360 will probably rarely see a 2-disc game (and those will be the Japanese games that feel more like watching movies. Yeah, you know the games where you get 5 minutes of gameplay and then a 45 minute video). On the original Xbox, games generally didnt' get any bigger. In most cases they actually became smaller over time. This is because developers create and use better compression technologies.

Do you know anything about prededural texturing? What takes up most of the space of a game are textures. They are basically pictures fitted over objects in the game to give the objects color and texture (such as wood, concrete, asfault, ect). However, procedural texturing is created on the fly using complicated computer agorithims. That could mean an answer to the large space that textures generally take up.

Games

Just because the original Xbox lacked a broad range of game titles and genres doesn't mean the 360 will suffer the same fate. Many new previously Sony/Nintendo only developers are jumping onto the 360. The list of released games by June will number around 60. Currently thier are at least a dozen VERY promising RPG's being developed for the 360. ESIV: Oblivion, Two Worlds, Gothic III, Mass Effect and several promising JRPGs. The action adventure genre is also making a good move over to the 360 with 99 Nights, Dynasty Warriors, Resident Evil, Tenchu, Tomb Raider, ect.

This isn't the Xbox and the 360 library will be just as large as the PS3 library.

Online and Home Networking

Sony is planning on creating a similar service as Xbox Live, but it is still no match for Xbox Live. Sony says the service will be free, but you do pay for what you get. When you pay for Xbox Live, part of what you pay goes to maintain the Xbox Live servers. Yeah, thats right, Microsoft uses thier own servers. Sony on the other hand is still leaving it to the developers to run thier own servers. This means that only the biggest developers will be able to have good online games. Smaller developers wont be able to even consider online as an option because they lack the financial resources to maintain the servers. But with Xbox live, even smaller developers have full acces to use the Xbox Live servers. Microsofts online infrastructer is far superior!

Sony wants to use the PS3 as a media hub for your home. The point is that you don't need a computer to have this media hub. Sounds like a good idea, but it what Microsft is doing will kill anything the PS3 will do with home networking. What do you expect when Sony (an electronics company) trieds to compete with Microsoft, a HUGE company that is almost completely devoted to software, networking, and internetworking.

Microsft is using the 360 as a media center extender. This allows you to connect to your computer (via a home network) and stream content to your TV. Granted, most people don't have Windows Media Center, however, Microsofts new OS called Windows Vista will have Media Center built in. Come on, how many of you have a computer with Windows XP? In a few years most of you will have a computer with Windows Vista and a home network. Home networking is growing incredibly fast due in part to the fact that more people in the United States have broadband vs dial-up. I know VERY few people that have dial-up. The only person I can really think of is my Grandma, and she has bi-annual visits to her internet access. Before long, the majority of people will be able to take advantage of Microsofts idea of a Media Hub. This is because the technology is much broader than just the 360. Nearly every other technology in the market will cater to the Microsoft concept. Believe me, Microsoft is about to change the living room.

The current Xbox 360 Live is only the beginning of what Microsoft is planning this generation. They have already signed a deal with MTV and Direct-TV that will allow you to stream content (on demand music and movies) from your PC (internet connection) to any TV in your house that has a media center extender built in (a 360 has a built in extender). Imagine paying just a small subscrption fee and having unlimited access to movies and music. This has huge potential and far surpasses anything Sony can even hope to accomplish.