Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dodgeit

A few lame questions --

22 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Howdy, I'm a long time fan of the SimCity series and have been playing SC4 since it came out. I was recently told that I "needed" to go to simtropolis.com and that I'd be very impressed. So here are my questions -- What is STEX? What is Omnibus? What is Simtropolis.com? and lastly, I was told this site would expand SC4 beyond my dreams. How will this site make me realize that I don't need SC5 yet? Thanks, Aaron

STEX is the abbreviation for SimTropolis EXchange. STEX is a collection of customized content for Simcity 4 and Rush Hour. This can be in the form of new buildings, game options (e.g. overpasses using the Network Addon Mod),  game tweaks, downloadable regions, and the like. When talking about custom content, you'll encounter terms like BAT, lots, props and the like, but I guess this should be for later.

The Omnibus is the unofficial strategy guide to Simcity. The Simtropolis Help Squad maintains the Omnibus, part of which was derived from thy451's old strategy guide for SC4. It is currently offline.

Simtropolis.com is the most active site dedicated to Simcity. Already in it's fifth incarnation, it was founded in 2002.

Welcome to Simtropolis! 9.gif

• Original Poster
  • Thanks a bunch -- Is STEX a service that must be paid for? It looks as though its all open source. I love SC4, and I'm sure my frustrations are shared among other players. What do I need to get started?

The STEX is a completely free service. The first thing you need to get in my opinion is the Network Addon Mod (NAM). After that, it's completely up to you what you want to add. Since the STEX holds so much stuff, my suggestion is to browse the STEX content ordered by number of downloads or votes. This way, you can see which ones are popular.

All you need is a Simtropolis account, and an internet connection.  Which, obviously, you already have.3.gif  If I am not mistaken, you also need all the updates and official landmarks from www.simcity.ea.com  Hang on and I'll get you a link to the STEX...*goes out of room* *comes back*  Here we go...http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?type=all  If you're looking for tall skyscrapers, try searching "NDEX"  If you'd like some nice farms and houses and basicly everything other than skyscrapers, try searching "BSC" or "CSX" however I would warn you that there have been some problems with some of their stuff, as there is eventually with anybody who makes the ammount of stuff they make.  I would backup your SC4 stuff before you download anything, which is always a good idea anyway.44.gif  Ummm...what else...there's so much to tell...lol  Well, this should get you started for now, if you ever need any help with anything, feel free to PM or e-mail me anytime, and I'll be happy to help.  Meister out.  Oh, btw, WELCOME TO SIMTROPOLIS!!!44.gif

The STEX is the Simtropolis Exchange and it is where you will find most of the downloads for your game, you need SC4+RH or SC4 Deluxe for most downloads to work, it can be found here:

http://www.simtropolis.com/ste...ex.cfm?type=all

The Omnibus is a place where there are tutorials on how to build a city and other tutorials and there are some interviews in there too. It isn't up yet.

Simtropolis.com is the best SC4 Community on the internet and you're a member of it. 10.gif

This site has all the downloads you need and it has almost every type of building imaginable available for download and every mod you need available for download.

Welcome to Simtropolis! 39.gif I hope you enjoy yourself here at this fantastic website! 10.gif

If I am not mistaken, you also need all the updates and official landmarks from www.simcity.ea.comquote>

you dont need them. really all you need is the patches to make BAT's light up

• Original Poster
  • thanks everybody for your input! I just re-installed my operating system, so I plan on doing a fresh install of SC4 and Rush Hour. Do I really need updates and official landmarks from www.simcity.ea.com? Also - what is the difference between SC4+RH and SC4 Deluxe? Thanks!!

an answer to your first question: yes in my opinion you'll need the landmarks and the nightlighting stuff from simcity.com.

to answer you question about bats and lots: a BAT is a building placed on a LOT. the lot can be seen as the area around the lot. mostly there are props on a lot. PROPs are small items like trees, streetlights, benches an stuff like that. for a lot of buildings you'll need custom made props. those props can be found in so called proppacks. the ones you'll need are listed in the readme of a downloaded file. if you don't have the proppack you'll need, you wont see the prop or you'll get a ugly brown box on your lot. someday you'll see what I mean with the brown box 3.gif

I'll hope this answers your questions 4.gif

SC4 Deluxe is just the Original Sim City 4 and the Rush Hour Expansion Pack combined into one package.

• Original Poster
  • I just updated the game using the patch on EA's site. Does it include the nghtlighting stuff that you're all talking about?

• Original Poster
  • Alright - I just dowloaded 2 things I found interesting to start with. One is a building, and one is a map. The map has two files - a jpeg and a config file. How do I set this up? I can' find a FAQ or a guide on this site. I hate to bug you guys. And the building has two files - an SC4LOT file and a DAT file. How do I install? Thanks!

• Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: dodgeit The map has two files - a jpeg and a config file. How do I set this up? I can' find a FAQ or a guide on this site.quote>
    okay - Nevermind. I figured out the map. It's loading the terrrain now. Geez, taking forever! I used this site in case anyone needs it : http://www.ussdragonstar.com/s...rrainsite/install.html But I still have not figured out that building...

Originally posted by: dodgeit
    Originally posted by: dodgeit The map has two files - a jpeg and a config file. How do I set this up? I can' find a FAQ or a guide on this site.quote>
    okay - Nevermind. I figured out the map. It's loading the terrrain now. Geez, taking forever! I used this site in case anyone needs it : http://www.ussdragonstar.com/s...rrainsite/install.html But I still have not figured out that building...quote>
    Yep, some of them can take a gosh-awful length of time to generate the region. It is (usually) worth the trouble as the makers have almost always taken extra effort to create "unusuality" for you. My prob is that I don't know what to do with cities I've DLed. Anyone know? 43.gif

• Original Poster
  • So how do I install this building? The building has two files - an SC4LOT file and a DAT file. Thanks!

Hey! Welcome to simtropolis!

To install buildings you've downloaded from the STEX, you need to put the files (all of them, unless otherwise stated in the read-me file) into your plugins folder.

The plugin folder is a folder in your My documents folder which stores external additions to simcity, such as buildings, mods and others, so when a new file is placed in there the file becomes part of simcity.

The folder is located in MyDocuments/Simcity/Plugins, and My Documents is usually in your C drive. So to install those buildings, place the files, or extract the folder into that place.

I hope that helps, good luck! 9.gif