Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hamsterTK

Regional Communting

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Well, we know that sims can cross an unlimited number of maps(ie freight trucks will commute across dozens of maps that are nothing but a road connecting end to end(however, this working depends on many factors including the order in which you open and save the different cites)

Anyways, i was wondering, with modds, could you alter a mode of transportation(ie rail) to have such a high speed and max commuting distance that you could have sims going from cities on other sides of regions? I got to thinking about this when reading about the high-speed rail project. I think it would be fun planning a regional transportation system in the game, and i was wondering if anyone has seen or experimented with uber long distance commutes

Well, I don't have any precise figures, but I know for sure that many of my Sims, in a region that I have yet to show in the CJs, cross 2 or 3 medium sized maps to go to work by regular train, which is already very fast given the usual size of SC4 regions (160 km/h, I think). However, I don't think they would travel longer distances, because (except if you build 100% residential suburbs over 10km) usually, all the jobs needed are within 4 medium maps. If they're not, I'd call this misplanning. Nevertheless, with faster transportation systems, the sims could commute further away.

(Hi - great site. I have been lurking for awhile...) I am interested in this too. Is there a section that explains regional transportation, and time. Do the years and months affect a sim's travel behavior? What is this about the order of opening the cities affecting things?

Originally posted by: hamsterTK (however, this working depends on many factors including the order in which you open and save the different cites) quote>
    what are these factors? and can you elaborate on how the order in which you save can impact regional commutes? Do you mean if you have city A --> city B ---> city C. In order to get sims to commute from city A --> city C, you must open and save A next B next C and vice versa. But if you only open and save A and C without B, no commutes will occur from A to C? That would impact the usefullness of the high speed rail...

I have been mucking around with this concept as well, having a central city for my Commercial, and the bedroom communities around commuting to it via rail and highway (not a keen monorail lover, myself!) and have found that it works quite well. As long as you keep the highway system minimised in access points, ensuring high density residential use them, and the railway system links up all the low and mid density residential, leading directly to the bulk commercial city, they are quite happy to cross a couple of maps. I am still trying to figure out exactly how far they are prepared to travel, but i am going to have a go at making sure they have to travel a fair way before finding work. I'll report on my findings when i ascertain how many maps they'll cross before giving up.
    My instincts tell me that the Low and mid level sims will travel a large distance on trian, but the snobby high wealth sims will probably give up on long highway travel, the slackers!
    Interesting topic, and one that I am studying right now.

Thanks for the research, fernby.

I'm a big fan of creating dense commercial centers surrounded by suburbs. My entire region is mostly small and medium maps (don't like large ones), so regional commute data would be pretty helpful.

Very interesting but still nothing about the order of city saves. Or the amount of time that each city is played? Does it matter at all to commuting Sims?