Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ten1902

too much RAM?

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • i just upgraded my RAM from 640 to 1gig and now i get an "out of range" message when i load SC4.
    i uninstalled/reinstalled the game and it ran fine at lower resolutions, but when i set it for the highest(1600x1200 i think is the highest setting) i got the out of range message again.
    the game had been working fine at that setting prior to the RAM upgrade, so i have no idea whats up.

any help would be mucho appreciated.

oh yeah, i almost forgot:
    pentium 4  2.0ghz
    nvidia geforce 5500 256mb
    640mb RAM (works fine)
    1024mb RAM (doesnt work fine)

• Original Poster
  • i dont see how my card could be running out of memory? its the same 256mb video card that worked fine before i upgraded the RAM

Well, I assume your memory all passed the POSTs during boot, and it is OK.

Your problem is likely that you have run out of virtual space. Set your Virtual Memory to correspond to your new 1GB setup. Min = 3072MB Max = 4096MB should do it.

When you change the memory on a machine, you would be amazed how much different things are in the operating system. You need more of a lot of things, like page tables, etc.

Originally posted by: ten1902

i just upgraded my RAM from 640 to 1gig and now i get an "out of range" message when i load SC4.

i uninstalled/reinstalled the game and it ran fine at lower resolutions, but when i set it for the highest(1600x1200 i think is the highest setting) i got the out of range message again.

the game had been working fine at that setting prior to the RAM upgrade, so i have no idea whats up.

any help would be mucho appreciated.

oh yeah, i almost forgot:

pentium 4

• Original Poster
  • i doubt that the problem stems from the new RAM, however, prior to the additional RAM upgrade i was able to run the game under ALL settings, now i cannot run it at the highest resolution.  the game runs fine otherwise, and i havent had any issues with anyother games/programs.  it is only SC4, and only the highest resolution that will not work, and as i stated earlier, it worked fine before installing the RAM

it is a monitor problem, not the ram. your refresh rate is too high. you didn't google your problem did you now? face-icon-small-tongue.gif right click desktop>click properties>settings tab>advanced>monitor>lower the screen refresh rate. you're probably killing the monitor right now.

nope, doubt it. most monitors automatically adjust their refresh rates, unless a refresh rate override is enabled using a third party program.

it might be your RAM clock settings... if you know how to reset your BIOS, do so. this will clear all values and will let the BIOS rechoose all values...

that might work

There are two places to set the refresh rate on the moniter, as described, on the advance tab, and the video card software. Setting it at either place will change the other. Moniters do not automatically set the refresh rate. Windows will set it at a default state, usually too low for some people. Mine needs to be set above 75 so the screen doesn't flicker. Peoples eyes are different for that setting, some get by with much lower resolutions.

The rule for most moniters is that the higher the resolution, the lower the refresh rate needs to be. You need a high quality moniter to have the resolution at 1600 x 1200 and a refresh rate above 75hz.

BTW: The BIOS has nothing to do with the moniter setttings, so don't mess with it unless you are computer savy. Most modern BIOS will automatically set the values when memory is installed. Increasing the amount of memory will only change that value.

• Original Poster
  • thank you all for your help, but no one seems to be reading my problem correctly:  THE ONLY THING THAT CHANGED IN MY ENTIRE SYSTEM WAS THE ADDITION OF RAM.  i changed no setting, that means no refresh rate, no resolution settings,  NO NOTHING!!!  everything is working fine except sc4.  i can run sc4 at lower resolutions, but not at the resolution i was able to play it at before the RAM upgrade.

Hi,

Some older machines may not recognise RAM values beyond about 999MB. The other thing is to make sure that the extra RAM module is compatable for your machine, too.

• Original Poster
  • i checked pny.com/configurator before buying the RAM to make sure that my board would recognize it, and my board will take up 1gig RAM, which is all that i have. and as far as it being compatible, everything else works fine, so i must assume that its compatible.

i understand that there should not be any correlation between adding RAM and graphic issues, but like i stated earlier the only change made to my pc was the addition of RAM, i hadnt even installed any new programs before installing the RAM, that is why this whole scenario is very confusing to me

Originally posted by: ten1902

........i understand that there should not be any correlation between adding RAM and graphic issues, but like i stated earlier the only change made to my pc was the addition of RAM, i hadnt even installed any new programs before installing the RAM, that is why this whole scenario is very confusing to me</P>quote>

There is a way to see if the problem is moniter related. Just check the spec's on the moniter to see if it is capable of the resolution, and refresh rate you are trying to view the game with.

OK, enough. What is your configuration of your operating system? Do you have SP2? Do you have DirectX 9.0c? Do you have all the latest drivers (including your mobo)? Have you done all required software updates? Have you run DXDIAG? Was it OK, if you did?

• Original Poster
  • first, thank you for all of your well intentioned help.

however, i finally did what i should have done in the first place: i took out the 512 and replaced it with the original 128. then i uninstalled my video card and reinstalled the original. i then put the 512 back in and reinstalled my good video card, updated the drivers, and ta-da!!! everything is working fine now.

the only thing i can guess is that when i put the RAM in originally, i must have somehow bumped the video card out of whack just enough so that i wouldnt get the best resolution.

thank yall again and would a mod please close this hideous chapter of me not doing the simple stuff first.

Locked as requested