7 posts in this topic Last Reply

All graphics, multi and single player is messed up.

• Fresh installation of Windows 7 (64-bit).
  • Fresh installation of SimCity 2013 through Origin.
  • Latest drivers for AMD Radeon HD 7900 series installed.
  • No issues with ALL other games

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Spark_2017-10-14_02-04-37.png

Well there is no chance that EA will look to address any such problems, so most likely they reside with the Graphics Drivers. Thus if the latest ones aren't working, you should consider going back and trying an older version. The other option is waiting for ATI to hopefully update them to fix the problem, but one way or another, those are pretty much your only options.

If you run into issues after trying to update your AMD drivers normally, try a 'clean install'.

To perform a 'clean install' of AMD graphics drivers:

1. Download and save the correct AMD driver. Do not use "automatically detect and install". Download Drivers

2. Download and save DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

3. Disable All anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-anything

4. Delete the contents of the C:/AMD folder of all previous drivers

5. Win10 users..take the necessary steps to prevent/delay Microsoft automatically changing/installing graphics drivers using one of these methods > Windows 10 Forums

Hey same problem here.  Fresh install, have an AMD R2 290X and have the exact same graphical glitch.  Game is completely unplayable.

I noticed before I could play there was a very laggy patch that needed to be installed and wonder if that had something to do with it as opposed to it just being an AMD driver issue.

Really hoping there is a better suggestion than downgrading graphic drivers to fix it.

I'm not sure but can issues still be logged for this game at EA?  I'm going to go check anyway.

Hi all of you:
As I said in my topic FireFox & Win8, it seems like a minor glitch in FF. The color deviation was when opening a TV channel.
I found a solution chez Mozilla/FF within FF with "config:about". You have then have a long list and find a file which I don't know the name, sorry. But this is the way to go.

On 10/24/2017 at 6:34 PM, sander12345 said:

1. Download and save the correct AMD driver. Do not use "automatically detect and install". Download Drivers

This tip by @sander12345 is right on. Didn't try his Download Drivers. The "automatically detect and install" hung up on me, so I suggest the "Config:about" way.
Mozilla/FF says it concerns Win8. So I'm baffled that SC2013 and Win7 got hurt.

On 10/18/2017 at 1:39 PM, rsc204 said:

so most likely they reside with the Graphics Drivers

or maybe is a glitch in FF.

On 10/14/2017 at 8:08 AM, rknetwork said:
  • Fresh installation of Windows 7 (64-bit).
  • Fresh installation of SimCity 2013 through Origin.
  • Latest drivers for AMD Radeon HD 7900 series installed.
  • No issues with ALL other games

So @rknetwork has an AMD card. And yeah, "No issues with ALL other games" is right too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By huzman
      Didn't know where to post this topic, so here I go since it seems important enough.
      Over the weekend, Firefox upgraded itself in my Win 8.1 portable. The results were catastrophic images with "borked" color deviations.
      So I went to the Mozilla/Firefox site where they recognized the glitch and gave a solution. They are swamped with messages about it.
      So watch it! I don't know if it affects Windows 10 or 7.
    • By RandyE
      1. SimCity,1989
      2. SimCity 2000, 1993
      3. SimCity 3000, 1999
      4. SimCity 4, 2003
      5. SimCity, 2013
    • By TurtleShroom
      Good evening.
      I am writing concerning an odd glitch with my computer in "SimCity IV". You will find these screenshots attached to this message.
      This only happens on one zoom distance. If I zoom in closer or farther, it goes away. The image titled "SOME TING WONG" is from a week to a few weeks ago, and covers the farthest view. The one titled "GLITCH" is from tonight, and is on the second-to-closest view.
      I use a Windows X Home-class, sixty-four bit laptop with eight gigabytes of RAM and an Intel Core Processor (with four CPU units). My "Direct X" is Version Twelve. My graphics card is Intel HD 620 and the display is thirty-two bits and sixty gigahertz. On "SimCity IV", all of my graphics are at the highest settings except Shadows, which are at medium. I have tried both Hardware and Software Graphics Mod and have adjusted the resolution. I disable colored cursors.
      Is there any fix to this? It really hinders my game and has caused crashes.

Thank you,
      -TURTLESHROOM

• By sachizm
      Hi
      For months now I have had this issue where trees go kind of opaque depending on where the sun is. It happens with all trees. Drives me nuts. Anyone got any ideas on it?

• By Mysteryous
      By now many of you have brand new computers and are wondering why SC4 won't run worth a hoot on it.  That reason is due to the limitations imposed by the current graphics hardware during the time of the games inception.  This means the graphics rules for the game are fairly static to say the least and won't play nice with mismatched pieces per say.  The good thing is that we can change that to fit our mismatched pieces.  Here's how I was able to work it.
      For the sake of consistancy (you may skip if you already did these steps):
      First install the game.  (oh well thanks captian obvious..)  Be quiet, were not done here.
      Second step is to run the latest update.  (why are you doing this?)  I said be quiet.
      Third step is to follow JoeST's instructions on customizing your gameplay experience (you may have to login).
      4.)  Now the fun part.  If you are still running Windows XP, then you may skip this.  If you are running Windows Vista or 7, then follow this step please.  Go to your games directory (eg. C:\Program Files\Maxis\Sim City 4 (deluxe)\   you get the idea)  Copy "Graphics Rules.sgr" and "Video Cards.sgr" (without quotes) to your desktop (or an easily accessible directory in which you have full read/write permission)  A pretty picture is provided below.

5.)  Right click anywhere on your desktop and select properties (XP) or Change Resolution (Vista or 7).  Under the screen resolution tab, select advanced.  You will then be met with your adapter information.  Take careful note of that.  Two pretty pictures are provided.  The first one is largely irrelevant except to those who know how to get there.  You may ignore it.

6.)  Once you have done that, open up Graphics Rules.sgr (with notepad) and drill down until you find this:
              partialRule "Fast card" -any          # We run well on these cards, so up the defaults.          stringMatch cardIdentity "NVidia*Geforce*"          stringMatch cardIdentity "NVidia*Quadro*"          stringMatch cardIdentity "ATI*9700*"          stringMatch cardIdentity "ATI*8500*"          stringMatch cardIdentity "Matrox*Parhelia*"   Include your graphics cards string to it so It will look something like this:
              partialRule "Fast card" -any          # We run well on these cards, so up the defaults.          stringMatch cardIdentity "NVidia*Geforce*"          stringMatch cardIdentity "NVidia*Quadro*"          stringMatch cardIdentity "ATI*9700*"          stringMatch cardIdentity "ATI*8500*"            stringMatch cardIdentity "ATI*HD 4800 Series*"          stringMatch cardIdentity "Matrox*Parhelia*"   (different video cards mean different strings, so take this with a grain of salt)  Now save and exit.
      7.)  Now that you have done all that, open up your Video Cards.sgr (with notepad or whatever).  You will be met with a long list of video cards.
      Most usually you will be looking for either "vendor "ATI" 0x1002" or "vendor "NVidia" 0x10b4 0x12d2 0x10de"  (without the outermost quotes).  Other brands are in there too.
      In the appropriate list add your video card.  Example is as follows:
           card 0x4E69 "Radeon 9800"    card 0x4148 "Radeon 9800"    card 0x4168 "Radeon 9800"      card 0x9442 "Radeon HD 4800 Series"    card 0x5041 "Rage 128 Pro"    card 0x5042 "Rage 128 Pro"    card 0x5043 "Rage 128 Pro"     Now save and exit.
      8.)  For vista/7 users, you must navigate back to your game directory and move the edited files there, replacing the unedited ones.  Yes you want to continue when your computer asks you if you want to continue.
      That's it your done.  Enjoy playing Sim City 4.  It should run very much faster now.  Many make these modifications without ever editing the Video cards.sgr file, and that works too; but with an unmatched string, the game could potentially become unstable and be prone to crashes a lot more often than not.  A performance deficit has also been observed.