Sign in to follow this  
Priyon

Industry on the region's corner

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Greetings, fellow SC4 players. :)

I am currently building a city based on Tokyo, encompassing a completely flat and blank region without any terrain or rivers, only forests. And I have a few questions for the good ol' veterans here.

On a note: I have no tile in the region that is left empty, I have established a city on every single one of them (though only in name, I still haven't built anything on them).

- Firstly, my plan involves building a huge ring of highway at the very borders of the region. The whole city will be situated inside this ring, and there will be raised highways inside the city (mainly in the skyscraper area) that connect the inner city to the outer ring of highway.

Is this strategy viable? Does it create any problems? I think this would help a lot with the traffic when combined with other means of transport.

- Secondly, the ring is not covering a large part of the borders of the region. That area is something I had planned to build industry on, and no residences or shops will be present there. But now I am facing a problem.

The housing areas of my city central (which are not directly connected to the industrial area) are now showing the no-job zots. They are connected by the highways, although there are only two intersections - one in the center of the region near the housing where they get on the highway, and another close to the industry zone. There are a lot of cities where the highway passes, but there are no intersections.

Is there a way to circumvent this problem? Or do I need to spread industrial centers all around my region just so that the population can get to their jobs around this awkward, gamey and unrealistic restriction? :(

Or am I required to put Ramps in all cities that highway passes through, just like the railway restriction where the passenger trains won't simply 'pass' unless it has station?

Here is are a few pics:

dd4p.png

This one is hard to see, I know, but it indicates the cities:

3m9o.png

The small city to the far left you can spot, is actually my housing and commercial area, where I aim to make the mid-rises.

The suburban city to the far right are actually flourishing housing and commercial area, since it is directly south of the industries. As you might have noticed, just north of it (before the highway turns) are the industrial zone.

The commuters are supposed to get on the highway from the ramps in the western city, and the highway goes through a series of cities without any ramps. Then there is a highway intersection where they have to turn east, and then go through more cities without ramps when they finally reach the industrial intersection with ramps where they can get off the highway.

The entire north-eastern zone is solely for industries and will not have a ring of highway around it. The highway ring turns south from the center, coming close to the center of the region and then turns east and then south, indicating the borders between the city area and factory area.

So...any suggestions/tips and help for my two questions above? :D

If I follow your description correctly, it sounds like you're trying to commute Sims across several boarders to reach their employment. Is this right?

If so, you have to have at least a few jobs (might be as low as 1) in any city tile for the Sims to actually "look" over the boarders into that city for jobs. So for any city tiles that don't have any development, try and put a couple places of employment. 

Don't believe they have to be directly connected to the highway to work either. As long as they're anywhere in the city tile should allow the Sims from the adjacent tile to "See" jobs over the boarders. 

From what I can see, it looks like a few city tiles without any development. 

I would suggest using the above technique on the medium city tile just south of the East bound highway junction. The city tile with the East bound highway junction. And the tile between the junction and the industrial zones. 

This should allow the Sims to follow the that path to the industrial zone.

Hope that helps.

I agree with that sentiment because I have shown it by experiment.  You need at least some kind of truck stop in any city in order for it to collect the necessary edge information for a proper neighbour connection.

I agree with that sentiment because I have shown it by experiment.  You need at least some kind of truck stop in any city in order for it to collect the necessary edge information for a proper neighbour connection.

You better, cause it was you that brought me to this knowledge, no more than a week ago in a thread about a similar problem.  :thumb:

• Original Poster
  • Hmm...so I need some jobs in the cities lying on the way to draw the people there? Magnet-like effect, it resembles. Sounds good, I will construct a small shopping district in all of those cities. With bus stops and police/fire stations and hospitals, Since they have employes as well, they too make the Sims from neighbouring cities 'see' jobs in the city, don't they?

But won't the Sims who work there be the only people to go to the next city in the row? Or others who are not employed in those cities get attracted as well?

Also, do I need to put a highway ramp in every city lying on the highway, or will the roads running alongside them nearby do the job of pulling the industrial workers onto the highway, who will pass by to the next city without problems?

If I follow your description correctly, it sounds like you're trying to commute Sims across several boarders to reach their employment. Is this right?

From what I can see, it looks like a few city tiles without any development. 

I would suggest using the above technique on the medium city tile just south of the East bound highway junction. The city tile with the East bound highway junction. And the tile between the junction and the industrial zones. 

Yep, you got it right, I am wishing to get the Sims across all those mini-cities (like Tokyo's Wards) to work in the factories..

The development has only began just yet, previously all I did was to create parts of highways around the map borders. The current population is the first real establishment other than highways, and that too is for testing only. :P

I will try to build some businesses in the city you pointed.