Sign in to follow this  
Infectedd

"No Job" zots in new suburb

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

So, just started a new region and city. The city I am making is a suburb. It is connected to a neighboring city, which contains all the industry. For some reason, the medium density industrial zones are not full, but there are tons of "no job" zots in the suburb. The cities are connected with an avenue. No ordinances have been added, no taxes have been changed. The industrial and residential zones are physically right next to each other, but they are in different cities - so it's not really the distance either. I have never experienced this before, what is going on?

When you open each city you see counts of the jobs and Sims.  The Sims level of education has to match the jobs or they don't get them.  How's the education level in your residential city?

Also, try putting up one 4 x 2 High Density R right on the edge of the Industrial complex.  See if you get any local workers.

• Original Poster
  • When you open each city you see counts of the jobs and Sims.  The Sims level of education has to match the jobs or they don't get them.  How's the education level in your residential city?

Also, try putting up one 4 x 2 High Density R right on the edge of the Industrial complex.  See if you get any local workers.

There are no education buildings or ordinances. I think there was like 10 on the graph for Education, I have no idea how that appeared, but I think it's not enough to make them unable to work in ID

Any Sim can work in I-D.  What's the ed level of the R city?  It doesn't matter, I think, what the ed level of the I city is.

Maybe you need to be patient.  You also have to run both cities and keep them in more or less synchronization to allow the edge data to update properly.

Are you using the NAM?

Sounds like eternal commuter bug to me.

There's absolutely no evidence for this from the information posted.

• Original Poster
  • Are you using the NAM?

Sounds like eternal commuter bug to me.

There's absolutely no evidence for this from the information posted.

Yes, I am using the NAM. I think I should have mentioned that. Can it change these behaviors?

Running both cities for quite some time has not really helped. There are a lot of intersections on the avenue, so I doubt this could be the solution.

Are you using the NAM?

Yes, I am using the NAM. I think I should have mentioned that. Can it change these behaviors?

The NAM can often fix problems like these, but not always.  If you're already running the NAM, you need to look elsewhere for the solution to your problem.  I'm afraid I have no additional ideas beyond what has already been posted.

• Original Poster
  • A new city has been started, I hope it will work well this time.

If anyone is interested: I added another road that connects to the same industrial city some time ago, but it didn't help either. What I do suspect is the shape of my neighbourhoods. Also, I started a city right next to the industrial one and zoned high density residential. It immediately got 19 000 residents with no "No Job" zots. Switching to the industrial city did NOT cause a huge construction campaign - something that surprised me. I don't know the exact figure, but probably about 10 000 of those new residents relied on the industrial jobs. 10 000 new workplaces should be quite a lot in terms of new buildings. This is really beyond me.

No, workplaces are not directly related to buildings at all. Buildings grow depending on demand.

1.: Large demand for dirty industry => many I-D facilities will grow.

2.: These I-D facilities offer a certain number of job vacancies that depend on current conditions, out of a theoretical number of vacancies they could offer under perfect conditions, e.g. 25 out of 30. This is what you see in industrial and commercial query windows: NOT, I repeat, NOT the number of workers, but the number of job vacancies. Your "25 (30)" means "25 job vacancies under current conditions; if conditions were perfect, we could employ up to 30 people".

3.: By conclusion, this means that a large amount of satisfied industrial demand (= buildings erected) does NOT automatically mean a large amount of employed Sims.

4.: The number of Sims actually working somewhere can be determined by clicking on the building in question using the route query tool. It will tell you how many Sims go to work there each day.

In your case, the scenario may have been like this: First, there was demand for industry. Then, industrial facilities grew, but hardly anyone actually worked there (this is mostly due to transportation), Now, when you zoned new residentials, the inhabitants finally started to actually fill some of all those job vacancies. This (and the fact that there was probably no demand left) is why no new industry got built.

• Original Poster
  • No, workplaces are not directly related to buildings at all. Buildings grow depending on demand.

1.: Large demand for dirty industry => many I-D facilities will grow.

2.: These I-D facilities offer a certain number of job vacancies that depend on current conditions, out of a theoretical number of vacancies they could offer under perfect conditions, e.g. 25 out of 30. This is what you see in industrial and commercial query windows: NOT, I repeat, NOT the number of workers, but the number of job vacancies. Your "25 (30)" means "25 job vacancies under current conditions; if conditions were perfect, we could employ up to 30 people".

3.: By conclusion, this means that a large amount of satisfied industrial demand (= buildings erected) does NOT automatically mean a large amount of employed Sims.

4.: The number of Sims actually working somewhere can be determined by clicking on the building in question using the route query tool. It will tell you how many Sims go to work there each day.

In your case, the scenario may have been like this: First, there was demand for industry. Then, industrial facilities grew, but hardly anyone actually worked there (this is mostly due to transportation), Now, when you zoned new residentials, the inhabitants finally started to actually fill some of all those job vacancies. This (and the fact that there was probably no demand left) is why no new industry got built.

Well, that does answer an unspoken question of mine. And yet, why did the new residential zones not increase the demand for ID? Did the new residents simply take the others' places?

Maybe they were too well educated and/or rich already. Only rather poor and uneducated Sims will work in agriculture and dirty industry - if it even was dirty industry, that is. The information you provided wasn't all that precise in this respect, but generally different kinds of Sims will cause different demand. It could also be that a rising EQ of existing Sims caused these Sims to move on to higher qualified jobs, making room for the newcomers in industrial facilities. Hard to tell without precise data.

• Original Poster
  • I found the solution to the problem. Unfortunately, it's not beautiful. When I started my new region, I connected the suburb and the industry with a highway. To my surprise, everything was going well. Then, I built my CBD. Connecting it with a highway would have been impossible without destroying half a neighborhood or making the commute times huge. I connected it with an avenue. Very soon, "No Job"s started appearing. I removed the avenue and temporarily replaced it with a road. All the zots disappeared at once.

The two halves of an avenue are not automatically connected.  If the avenue terminates in a neighborhood without a suitable connection at the end, it can act like two one-way roads.  In this case, Sims on both sides of the avenue can only travel in one direction, and not make a round trip to their jobs.  If you simply connect both sides of the avenue with a road at both ends, this should eliminate the problem.

• Original Poster
  • The two halves of an avenue are not automatically connected.  If the avenue terminates in a neighborhood without a suitable connection at the end, it can act like two one-way roads.  In this case, Sims on both sides of the avenue can only travel in one direction, and not make a round trip to their jobs.  If you simply connect both sides of the avenue with a road at both ends, this should eliminate the problem.

Ugh, I can't figure out what you mean, sorry. Could you post a screenshot of a working connection? Thank you very much!

That response beats me.  If you are talking about the standard (default) Maxis avenue you just drag it off the edge.  The connection should show in the next tile when you open it, and all you need to do is drag it from there.

However, if you are talking about any of the NAM-related products, then you may or may not have to add an off-tile connector to the border edge of the road on both tiles.  Try reading the documentation that came with the NAM, there is certainly enough of it.

A little graphics work would make this more obvious.  In the second shot I assume you mean the east-bound connect at the northeast corner.  It doesn't have connect arrows, so I guess you didn't drag it off properly.  However, I would also like to suggest that a corner connection like that can lead to the Sims going round and round in a loop not going to any job.  This is not a smart hook-up.

It is also possible that a single tile (or in this case pair of tiles) cannot support two neighbour connections.  Just a second while I test that ...c73tHPy.jpg

Works for me.