Sign in to follow this  
shawncrossen

Rediscovering SimCity 4...

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Besides the lack of bigger maps in SC 2013, the nonexistence of the ability to create the real highway system is a real turn off for me as well.  I like many bought SimCity 4 but got aggravated with the unrealistic highway structure among other things at the time and lost interest. The release of SC 2013 got me interested again enough to buy it only to be disappointed for all the obvious things that we all have mentioned.  But it got me to do some internet searching only to find the rediscovered SC4 community with all the advanced mods, lots, NAM, etc. and now I'm like a kid with a new toy again.  The new content is great!  I have just started getting back into it again, researching all the new content, mods etc.  In the past few weeks I have downloaded and installed tons of mods, hand picking what I have researched to be the best and it has been a blast.  Is the RHW confusing and hard as hell to learn?  Hell yes.  But the end result after doing it right makes it all worth the efforts.  It takes a lot of patience to do it right, and lots of trial and error, but it is fun as hell doing so.  I am still learning and managed to make my first basic rhw interchanges (cloverleafs, etc.) that actually look good and work (Still trying to get the smooth curves to work EVERY time on my ramp corners)  I can't wait to learn more on the more complex interchanges such as using L2 and L3 ramps and such.... someday.

To me, I would rather play a 10 year old game that is good, fun and challenging rather then a brand new one that is a piece of crap... Just my thoughts...

Some screen shots of my interchanges... these are my first attempts, I know they can be better...

zilf.jpg

Seems a little big, probably could have made the loops smaller. Getting the curves to go into the loop is a hit and miss, sometimes they go, sometimes not.  I have been using 15M transitions, although it seems that most are going to the 7.5M, but I always have trouble getting those to work on the slope transitions, seems it screws up the highway underneath.  Also, I used the wrong slope transition on my overpass above. I picked the rhw-6s ground to slope because it looked like it was set up for the 3 lane highway. I later have learned that the regular flex one will conform to the highway being used.  So I need to change that. 

6eey.jpg

This was my first one, So much fun working on these...

I have been watching haljackey's "Building A City From Scratch" (ep 15 so far) series where I have learned so much.  Videos from MandelSoft have also been equally helpful. And Asteconn's tutorial series on YouTube for the RHW  was a real plus, but could use an update to coincide with the latest NAM release.  

Any comments, thoughts or constructive criticism are always welcomed.

If only SC4 would have worked like this out of the box.... Seems as though I have lost 10 years. :)

You're the only other person to realise that Asteconn's video tutorials are outdated, because a lot of the stuff there was only meant for RHW Version 3.x and 4.x, far before the NAM 31+ era. I started using RHW version 3.x in 2009, which tells you how old the RHW is, as well how far advanced it's become.

I do have one more recommendation for you: Read the RHW User's Manual. As the one who wrote a very large portion of it, on top of being a long-time user and a developer, about half of the stuff you'll ever need to know about and almost every question you may ever ask is in there. I'm able to remember just about everything that has ever been asked to the devs, including the stuff I asked before I became a dev. (Though admittedly, it does need rewriting, partly because of new content, but also because new things get being asked.)

And with getting the MIS curves placeable on the 45-degree bends? Destroy the bend first. Depending on how you draw the RHW 45-degree bends, it'll actually be in one of two states: The right one and the wrong one. Problem is, they both look identical and it's easy for anyone to draw the wrong one. Once it's in the wrong state, you can't redraw it back to the right state without destroying it, and placing smooth curves on top of the wrong state is impossible. And without any sufficient means on describing the wrong and right states, all I can say is don't bother placing curves on top of any predrawn RHWs. Curve first, RHW second. (And before you ask, either, use fillers for those hard-to-reach places.)

Your sizing is on par with what real-life would call for, as with (most of) the curvature, and with that, I wish you luck with any future RHW-related endeavours.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been shouting and cursing when I'm building my RHWs since 2005. It certainly is a love-hate relationship, but it is oh so worth it in the end. Guides are useful but they are no replacement for gaining experience with trial and error. Once you know the way the network behaves, you can begin to make more advanced creations (smooth curves, for example, really help amp-up the realism factor if you are attempting to recreate something from the real world).

Welcome aboard. It is hard for many of us to realize 10 years have passed since SC4's release. Great work with your first creations! We hope to see more from you at the

P.S.: I hope you're enjoying my series :blush:

• Original Poster
  • You're the only other person to realise that Asteconn's video tutorials are outdated, because a lot of the stuff there was only meant for RHW Version 3.x and 4.x, far before the NAM 31+ era. I started using RHW version 3.x in 2009, which tells you how old the RHW is, as well how far advanced it's become.

Not only that, but some newer videos on this same subject in HD on that series would be a great improvement, but the fact that he has done what he did the way he did it was great.  I love tutorials with commentary versus those with just text and music.  And Asteconn had a pleasant and understanding style in his presentation.

And Haljackey... I did get a glimpse of what you mean by cussing at the NAM in your latest episode (while I am actually on ep 15, I had to take a sneak peak ahead.) with that spaghetti interchange and the problems your were having, got a chuckle a few times, laughing with you of coarse, and not at you. ;)