Sign in to follow this  
nhgriffith

Organic/natural/realistic development

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm looking for some help/advice/examples of organic, natural, or realistic looking developments.

I'm gathering some stuff together for a new project I want to start in SC4, which I may do a CJ for, and perhaps a series of YouTube videos.  But what I'm interested in is making a city look as realistic as possible.  And I don't simply want the end product to look realistic, but I also want the city to naturally progress.

I want to do something similar to what a poster known as "CSGdesign" is doing (or has done in the past, I dunno if he's still up to it).  

I find this very interesting.

Now, I've also been watching Haljackey's YouTube series "Building a city from scratch."  And the end-result that Haljackey accomplishes is pretty naturally looking.  I'm not completely opposed to having gridded downtown areas in this project.  But Haljackey just zones in it, plops a bit of ploppables, and hits run and he very quickly has a very big city.  The end result is some very, very nice looking projects.  I'm a big fan of what I've seen from Haljackey, particularly in regards to his RHW work.  

And CSGdesign, his process seems slow to the point that I don't have quite that much patience.  So I'm looking to do something between the two in terms of development speed.  I definitely will start every settlement as a small residential town and build them up from there.  Some settlements will turn into massive urban centers, others might turn into an industrial town, some will be shipping hubs, some may be absorb as a suburb and sprawl out with low-dense-residential.  And others may just remain tiny little villages with the surrounding areas taken over by farming.

But I want the end project to remain very, very realistic looking.  And I want to minimize the amount of extra stuff I have to download.  I will definitely get the NAM (I'm not sure what all is included in NAM these days).  I'm considering looking into that street add-on mod, as well as some of the farming mods (because if I'm going for realism, farmland will be pretty dominate in terms of tilecount.  I want things to look nice, but I also don't want to download thousands of mods.

One thing I definitely need to get are some civics buildings that can cover the entirity of a large title.

From a realism standpoint, if I've got a large tile with 3 tiny villages with a combined population of 2,000ish, it makes more sense for there to simply be a County Sheriff's department in the largest of the three towns that patrols the entire "county" or city tile if you will, rather than 3 separate police departments (towns under 1,000 population tend to not really have a police department and just rely on the county deputies in a lot of cases).

For fire coverage, I don't need a fire department to cover the entire tile, but a very small volunteer fire department with a very tiny operational cost to plop in each little village would be nice to have.

For medical coverage, a clinic with a small capacity in terms of doctors and patients but a extremely large radius in terms of coverage area would be good to have.

For education, I don't necessarily need anything.  I also know there are small, low capacity schoolhouses out there if I really want it, but people who live out in these tiny villages aren't generally the best educated in the world anyway...

So, any ideas, tips, help?  Know if some of those civic buildings already exist for download?  Know of any other city journals or youtube series that fit what I'm talking about here that I should check out?

You might want to check out New SorGun by SimCoug.  It might be on the side of to slow for your patience, but I feel it has a great representation of a slow natural realistic growth. Plus SimCoug has amazing editing skills to bring his CJ to life.

• Original Poster
  • Yea.  This is entirely to slow a pace, lol.

But it's an extraordinary example of a great CJ and organic/natural growth patterns.

The main problem for me, in terms of using that CJ as inspiration for the project I want to do is way to may addons.  I don't want to reskin my entire game, at least not at first.  Maybe later to give the end product a better look... but I want to start minimal in terms of addons and slowly add as I play.

I don't want to reskin my entire game, at least not at first.  Maybe later to give the end product a better look... but I want to start minimal in terms of addons and slowly add as I play.

Understandable.

Been trying to implement something similar in my style with Civics buildings. Instead of just going right to the menu for a default civic building, I'll try and search for a custom building. In a way of replicating the idea that government buildings are being designed by unique individuals instead of just stamping out the same ole' building over an over in each city.

• Original Poster
  • I was able to find a rural sheriff's department and fire department from Pegasus on the STEX.  Those are helpful for those rural beginnings.

For medical coverage, a clinic with a small capacity in terms of doctors and patients but a extremely large radius in terms of coverage area would be good to have.

So, any ideas, tips, help?  Know if some of those civic buildings already exist for download?  Know of any other city journals or youtube series that fit what I'm talking about here that I should check out?

Have you tried this?  From the description, it looks like it's one of the things you need.

• Original Poster
  • Yes.  I found that at some point after opening this thread.  I found that after first finding the fire/sheriff from PEG.

I'm still looking for some more good CJs or preferably YouTube videos of people building in this style.