Sign in to follow this  
GreekMan

San Diego mayor resigns!

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

hello. I do not know how many people are aware of this story.  I will break it down. Bob Filner was elected last November(2012) as the city's first democratic mayor in 20 years. Over the summer, a total of 18 women came forward and shared stories of his sexual harassment problems. He put up a fight which lead to a recall effort. Today Friday the 24th of august he has resigned. I am from SD and love this city and I am glad to know that he is gone. You can find more stories like this online. I just give you a run down not all the facts. I find this interesting so I thought that it would be good to share it with the community  built around the idea of building cities. I am just glad this hammerhead doesn't represent my great city anymore!

http://news.yahoo.com/san-diego-mayor-agrees-resign-224758498.html

I visited SD back in 2000. I know little of its politics, but I imagine any Mayor has to act in a restrained and civilized manner in office. To allow ones personality to emerge too much in any government position leads to anarchies and wars and problems etc.

I was in San Diego under a month ago, so this was all over me, even when I was at Legoland, or Balboa Park, or the Padres game, or at the Midway, this was all anyone would talk about. In fact, I was on the plane home with the UT that said "77 percent say mayor should resign". So what do I think?

It's about time. The mayor should not be doing that at any time, especiliy when he's been in office for under a year. No need for that in any city. Goodbye, San Diego mayor.

I guess nobody ever told him that public office is generally transparent no matter what door you are behind nor what curtains you've closed.

I would guess the Navy would be rather pissed off at him for being such a jerk.  With the big base there, they need stable government in the city.

• Original Poster
  • yeah hes going to get something after all of this. He is still going to et a city pension. its a huge mess but it angers me that politicians are such idiots now a days. . its such a dirty game and its hard to vote for a true person who is great all around and has nothing hidden in the closet. im just glad this guy is out

I've never tried to become a politician so I can't tell you how easy it would be for a genuine honest and transparent person to get into an office. However I know it takes loads of study to get into law and from what I know to become a member of parliament you have to be a lawyer or something, so I doubt regular people with simple values would ever do well in politics if this indeed be the case.