Sign in to follow this  
Xander Dax

No Lot file being created in plugin manager

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi i am having a problem im hoping someone can help me with, i recently created my first model for simcity 4 and all went according to plan the BAT was created in Gmax/BAT successfully i then exported said BAT 

successfully, then after opening the Plugin Manager i made the bat the type i wished (in this case a CO$$$ Commercial) the plugin manager then told me i had successfully created the plugin.

However after this i discovered that i now had both a MODEL file and a DESC file but that for some reason it had NOT created a LOT file like it was supposed to, and because i now still have no LOT file

for the BAT i had created it will therefor not show up at all in the Lot Editor for me to place my creation on to a Lot.

I Am hoping someone can help me figure this out as it is most frustrating as this one thing is all that is preventing me from getting my creation into the game (or tell me i have been a COMPLETE idiot and just got it all wrong lol).

Big Thanks in advance.

Xander Dax

Hi there,

When a model is dragged to a category, the Plugin Manager will only create a descriptor file (DESC). This contains information of how a model should be used, such as the building type. It doesn't actually create a LOT file - this you'll need to do using the Lot Editor.

The next steps are:

1.  In the Lot Editor, open any existing Maxis CO$$$ lot.

2.  Replace the current building with your model (browse the list). Only buildings of the same developer type will be displayed here.
Note: If your model isn't listed, you may need to temporarily increase the lot's size.

3.  Once your model is on the lot, click "Save As", and give it a name. This will create a new CO$$$ lot, where the "Save" button would just replace the default Maxis lot.

4.  Close the Lot Editor. This new LOT file should be visible in your plugins.

5.  The lot can now be freely edited. Be sure to remove all Maxis props and textures prior to adding your own.

6. When saving, now choose the "Save" button, which will overwrite the lot with any changes made.

Before continuing with editing, you may want to first test the model's appearance in game.

To package the lot into the game you must include the lot, desc and model files.  Best way to do this for publication is to condense the three into a single .dat file using ilive's Files2DAT. 

In the STEX submission don't forget to include in-game screen shots for both day and night as well as the .dat file all archived into a .zip.  Include a readme file if there are dependencies or other instructions and don't forget to list the dependency links on the download page.

• Original Poster
  • Thank you guys that worked pretty well, the only problem i have now is the only way i could get it onto the lot was by making the lot BIG and now that it is on the lot i am trying to reduce the lot to a more appropriate size for the building

however every time i try shrinking the lot it says i cannot save a lot with something overhanging the lot, despite (as far as i can tell) the building is pretty much in the middle of the lot.

Also another snag i tried it again with another model i had (a small statue) and no matter how big i made the lot in lot editor i just could not get my statue to show up in the lot editor.

• Original Poster
  • The right side of the Lot editor has the grey box representing my building in the lot, but on the left side it shows that the building is not on the lot but beside it (confusing), and and like i said as you can see in the picture the only way i could get

it on the lot was to make said lot HUGE (again as you can see in the pic) and after i can not shrink the lot back to a more appropriate size without the building going off the lot again.

I think the grey box represent the LOD not the building itself. Your building might be off-center inside its LOD.

In gmax try to get your building at the center. Group everything and set x=0, y=0. Ungroup and re-fit LODs.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the response Ro-Bo, i tried what you suggested and for a second thought it had worked both sides of the lot editor showed i was apparently in the lot, i then reduced the size of the lot and both STILL showed the building as inside the newly reduced lot.

However when i tried to save i got the message saying that i can not save a lot with things hanging outside the edges of the lot, but both images on both sides showed the building inside the lot quite frustrating, to be honest i am getting close to the point of just giving up all together, i just can't figure out what i am doing wrong.

Delete all the extra base texture (or are they overlay texture?). Particularly those in the red circle. They are certainly beyond the lot boundary (black outline).

z86nqqq.jpg

As for your building, in gmax top viewport make sure the center of the building is at (0,0,z). Base on the picture, it looks like the building edge and not the center is at (0,0,z).

• Original Poster
  • Welp tried what you said it looked ok (i think) but tried to bring it up in lot editor and would not even show up in the list even with a HUGE lot, so tried it all again only named it something else in lot editor and it STILL would not show in the list i am beginning to think i should just cut my losses and call it a day as the saying goes.

Guess i was just not meant to put my own content into the game :( still thanks for the help so far.