Sign in to follow this  
LGMizzell

Government Departments are Regional? A City Burns - A Region Suffers

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

I wasn't aware the government departments were regional!

A friend with what I thought to be a highly successful city - over $3,000,000 in the bank, close to $25,000 an hour in tax revenue at 9%, Residential and Commercial ONLY - all other revenue being generated by two recycle centres and two trade depots - decided this evening that he wanted to optimize his layout.

After some thought, instead of just bulldozing everything, we though it would be more fun to see what would happen if you let a huge city fail on purpose. I went into spectator mode, he jacked all his tax rates up to 20%, and we sat back and watched! Before things started falling apart he made massive income from the tax hike. Then buildings went dark, a mass exodus started, and then almost the entire city burned to the ground. I was at street level wandering around watching this, and it was almost as much fun as "Juan of the Dead".

He then bulldozed all the rubble - EVERYTHING - and started from scratch with over $4,000,000 to work with. Sheesh...

If you can afford to let a city go, I highly recommend it just for the entertainment purposes!

But watch out - there were unintended consequences for the rest of the region!

Seems this particular city had the only Department of Public Works in the region. Suddenly, ALL the water pumping stations in my two cities in the region cease to function! Yikes!

An event scheduled in my Expo Center, suddenly lost money for the first time - we didn't think about all the "tourist" from his city that were visiting attending my events.

I've got a good idea other stuff suddenly cut off as well, but I decided it better to log out until he finished rebuilding! Didn't want to see my new and growing creations falter just yet.... I'll study the other effects in a bit, as I'm sure there are other far reaching consequences.

Thoughts from anyone else?

Buildings with prerequisites such as city hall addons don't cease functioning if the corresponding prerequisite is demolished. For example, trade ports will still work after you demolish the Trade HQ (which is the prerequisite for a trade port). Sewage treatment plants continue to function if the Department of Utilities which unlocked it is demolished. Etcetera.

Buildings with prerequisites such as city hall addons don't cease functioning if the corresponding prerequisite is demolished. For example, trade ports will still work after you demolish the Trade HQ (which is the prerequisite for a trade port). Sewage treatment plants continue to function if the Department of Utilities which unlocked it is demolished. Etcetera.

Unfortuately not true, at least for the water pumping station and the sewage treatment plant.   I can confirm what LGMizzel is stating.

I had a brand new city in a new region with a town hall with the 'Department of Utilities' add-on.  I had a sewage treatment plant and water pumping station built and functioning.   I wanted to move my town hall so I dozed it.   As soon as the town hall no longer existed, my sewage treatment plant and water pumping station quit working.  The message stated on each of the plants that it required the department to function.   Once I plopped the town hall down again with the add-on, the plants started working again.

I can confirm that you are wrong. If you demolish the prereq (at least when it's about ministeries), matching buildings will stop function.

If it still function for you, that mean you still have the prereq in another city of your region, or that there is a synchronisation bug with the cloud.

Unfortuately not true, at least for the water pumping station and the sewage treatment plant.   I can confirm what LGMizzel is stating.

I had a brand new city in a new region with a town hall with the 'Department of Utilities' add-on.  I had a sewage treatment plant and water pumping station built and functioning.   I wanted to move my town hall so I dozed it.   As soon as the town hall no longer existed, my sewage treatment plant and water pumping station quit working.  The message stated on each of the plants that it required the department to function.   Once I plopped the town hall down again with the add-on, the plants started working again.

I can confirm that you are wrong. If you demolish the prereq (at least when it's about ministeries), matching buildings will stop function.

If it still function for you, that mean you still have the prereq in another city of your region, or that there is a synchronisation bug with the cloud.

Well then, I stand corrected (I hate it when that happens :kitty:).

That's terrible news; this kind of thing should not be dependant on other players' cities. It really should function in the very same way that I thought it did function, that is that once the utility (or whatever) is unlocked and plopped it should remain functional no matter what someone else does in another city.

Well, if you want a safety for not having to rely on someone else's city, you can still pull the prereq ministaries into your city even if not needed, just as a backup.

Well, if you want a safety for not having to rely on someone else's city, you can still pull the prereq ministaries into your city even if not needed, just as a backup.

Sure, but at §500/hr per department, that just sucks. I mean, I know you can turn individual departments off when not needed, but still.

All necessary departments, when on multiplayer, should be run localy. People are fools relying on others on such importand matter. 

• Original Poster
  • All necessary departments, when on multiplayer, should be run localy. People are fools relying on others on such important matter. 

Sage advice! If you've got people playing in your region you don't know in real life, things can get interesting (both good and bad)!

It would seem DISTANCE between cities has something to do with it. There's a city on the opposite side of the region that DOES have a Department of Public Works. I guess the "sphere of influence" doesn't extend to the two affected cities, which are much closer to our demolished city. If anybody can find exact statistics on that, it would be greatly appreciated!

I stand corrected on the above - it just took awhile for the change to catch up! Now, the below is true for the entire region:

All water is off

All sewage is off

Airports are closed

Schools are closed

So yea - if you don't trust your neighbours, don't let them close government departments without giving everyone proper notice!!

The other player is one of my sons, whom lives in another state. We're having a great time sharing a region and talking to each other on the wall. We simply didn't realize that any of the departments were shared between any of the cities! Now that we know, THAT won't happen again!

All necessary departments, when on multiplayer, should be run localy. People are fools relying on others on such importand matter. 

Or just have the funds necessary when such an event occurs. Why spend the money when not needed. Just plop the department when needed. Just like certain services like schools. When they are closed for the night turn them off.