Sign in to follow this  
MayorCsW

Sim City Realism...

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've been looking in to the realism and control structures of "Power" games over the last few months [and will be continuing to do so] and I'm keen to get the opinions of the gamers that are more involved with the games in question themselves. Sim City 4 [and it's parents] is a game I was familiar with but have never really considered myself to be immersed in it at all; so hopefully some of you guys who obviously have a great adoration for the game itself will be able to help me out.

What are your thoughts regarding the control structure present in Sim City 4? Do you feel it's realistic to the point that you would call it a "Mayor Sim" or is it closer to a God Game in a sandbox environment? [This would be discounting the early gameplay ability to alter your terrain to suit your place].

What is it that attracted you to the Sim City series?

Do you feel the game can accurately represent the journey of a city from a seed to a metropolis?

Do you feel the powers afforded to the player in Sim City 4 are akin to that of a modern day Mayor?

Finally, if you have played either Civ or Age of Empires as well as Sim City, or even if you have played just SC and you don't mind taking the time to complete this short survey, please do

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/X9SJQWZ

Definitely no "Mayor Sim". No elections, no opposition, no serious protests, happy instant bulldozing of towering skyscrapers and sprawling suburbs alike, no city planning schemes to adhere to (you make - and break - the schemes as you please). Even after the terraforming phase, it's far closer to a God Game.

(The original poster's questions sound like someone from EA or such are trying to brainwash SC4 fans and make them re-think their negative attitude towards the "new" simcity ;-/ )

-What are your thoughts regarding the control structure present in Sim City 4?

It's OK -- all the custom mods and other stuff have made the game fun to play, like neverending. If I'd like a bit more control, then it would only be with where sims commute/why they leave and with transport system (just because it's not always crystal clear why things go that way and not the other).

-Do you feel it's realistic to the point that you would call it a "Mayor Sim" or is it closer to a God Game in a sandbox environment?

My answers would be what T Wrecks said, no "Mayor Sim", no elections (God forbid), nothing like going into Sims games.

-What is it that attracted you to the Sim City series?

The fun of building a city of my dreams (some rules allowed, but basically I should be not restricted too much).

-Do you feel the game can accurately represent the journey of a city from a seed to a metropolis?

That is what I don't care about.

-Do you feel the powers afforded to the player in Sim City 4 are akin to that of a modern day Mayor?

That is what I don't care about.

-Finally, if you have played either Civ or Age of Empires as well as Sim City, or even if you have played just SC and you don't mind taking the time to complete this short survey...

Sorry, I have no time to complete that short survey, just can say my main interest in Civ (which is my second favorite afte SC) is the cities, how they grow and build "wonders" and stuff, and I've always wanted Civ to be more about its cities.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks very much guys.

I'm afraid, fiver, I'm no-where near working for EA. This is all self-directed research and as such - completely free on my part, but it's turnign up some interesting results.

Thanks again for your time, guys!