Sign in to follow this  
brucethemoose

White screen in OpenGL / 2560x1440 directX crash

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm trying to get SC4 to run at my monitor's native resolution: 2560x1440. Running the game in directX mode (using the -d flag) spits out a "graphics card could not be initialized" error message. (That's important, as it means SC4 supposedly supports a 2560x1440 resolution, as trying to launch it with unsupported resolutions like 2560x1600 or 1024x767 simply doesn't launch the game/renders it at a default 1280x1024.) Launching it at 1920x1200 works perfectly fine.

I switched to software rendering mode, and 2560x1440 works, but the game is uncomfortably slow/laggy. It runs smooth at 2560x1440 in OpenGL mode, but I get a weird bug where everything in the city view is white (though this happens at any resolution).

Capture.jpg

System info: Phenom II X4 980 @ 4.0ghz, 2x AMD 6850 1gb, 12gb RAM, Win 7 SP1 64 bit (I did a clean install of the OS a few weeks ago, so there might be some drivers/programs I'm missing), latest Steam version of the game (build 641 I believe). All OCs are stable, and shouldn't be a problem. Drivers are the newest version. All CCC settings are default as far as I know (though I'm not entirely sure). CrossfireX is disabled. I haven't messed with any of SC4's .ini settings yet.

Anyone know how to launch it in DX mode or getting rid of the OpenGL bug?

The game normally uses DirectX, no need to set a command line for it.

OpenGL is quite buggy. My visual experiences using it have been similar to yours, and I run in 1600x1200. I think this is simply a lack of refined programming on Maxis' part.

Software is certainly going to be slower even with a strong processor like yours. The game only uses a single core, and all that stuff the graphic card normally handles is now also being handled by the processor that does everything else too.

You could try the -CPUcount:1 and -CPUpriority:High command lines. Former sets the game to use only one core, the latter sets it to take computational priority versus other applications running. There's also to mull over, given you have a Radeon. I don't think these will help you obtain your desired resolution, but your game will be more stable/run smoother and that is something. :)

According this wiki page, 2048 x 1152 is the highest functioning resolution the game can be forced to render in (At least, it seems, without some caveats), so you may wish to try that. I don't know which higher resolutions will work, or work correctly.

• Original Poster
  • The game normally uses DirectX, no need to set a command line for it.

OpenGL is quite buggy. My visual experiences using it have been similar to yours, and I run in 1600x1200. I think this is simply a lack of refined programming on Maxis' part.

Software is certainly going to be slower even with a strong processor like yours. The game only uses a single core, and all that stuff the graphic card normally handles is now also being handled by the processor that does everything else too.

You could try the -CPUcount:1 and -CPUpriority:High command lines. Former sets the game to use only one core, the latter sets it to take computational priority versus other applications running. There's also to mull over, given you have a Radeon. I don't think these will help you obtain your desired resolution, but your game will be more stable/run smoother and that is something. :)

According this wiki page, 2048 x 1152 is the highest functioning resolution the game can be forced to render in (At least, it seems, without some caveats), so you may wish to try that. I don't know which higher resolutions will work, or work correctly.

In all honesty, I'd rather play at 1080p or 1600x1200 than use software rendering.

By now, I would've normally given up, but the fact that 2560x1440 loads then crashes means the devs at least attempted to add support for this resolution. SC4 bliss is so close... I tried the Radeon tweak in that thread to no avail, but since other people use it, I'm sure there's some OpenGL tweak out there.

OpenGL support was being added, but Maxis never finished it and never offered support for it (That's why there's no button for it in the game, it's something we found later). As far as I'm aware, it's not mentioned in any of the documentation and EA's solution was to use DirectX.

The errors you're seeing are reminiscent of the nVidia issues of about a year ago. Try forcing Crossfire off (It's generally on by default and I don't think AMD has a profile for SC4).

2560x1440 has worked for me in the past as well as 2560x1600 and 3360x1050, that is 2 1680x1050 monitors. Both times, however, I was forced to run the game in DirectX software rendering mode. I would play around with other graphics settings for a while before I gave up. I'm sure there's a solution out there.

Let's be sure how you are trying this. Can you post your command line?

To force DirectX all you need is -d:directx as part of the command. Forces any previous selection to change.

If it is any help, here is my Linux script for hardware execution.

#!/bin/bash

date

env WINEPREFIX="/home/john/.wine" \

wine "C:/Program Files/Maxis/SimCity 4 Deluxe/Apps/SimCity 4.exe" \

-intro:off -CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32 -d:directx \

-f -CPUcount:1 &>~/sc4.hdwe.log

date

On my machine, the program runs at a snail's pace with this. I have to use software mode because of buffer exchange problems in wine.

• Original Poster
  • -CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32 -EH:off -intro:off -w -d:DirectX

I do it through Steam launch options now. Tried it with a older build of a non steam version through command line too, same results.

1080p works splendidly with hardware rendering. It doesn't seem to matter whether I run in fullscreen (-f ) or windowed mode (-w). I threw in EH (Error Handling, I believe) just for the hell of it, though it doesn't seem to matter.

Another note, my screen refresh rate is actually 80Hz... maybe this 2560x1440 bug has something to do with the game trying to render it at my native screen resolution/refresh rate. Are there any sort of graphics flags/settings the game uses to detect the monitor's native resolution?

I also might try a LAA patch with the exe itself, as the game could be running out of memory at this resolution.

Since you are running with hardware rendering, I wouldn't worry too much about game memory. However, do remember that this is a legacy game, and you may not be able to force it to do things not anticipated 10 years ago.

Your very high resolution must make it like looking at a postage stamp when trying to use the menus, so other than trying to fully utilize your gear, why bother? I find running at 1080p works just fine for me.