Sign in to follow this  
thegametrent22

Is Cites XL 2012 worth buying?

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

As I am getting a new computer soon. I was wondering on what to buy and have seen some videos, but is it worth it?

My question is:

Is the modding good?

Bug problems? (besides memory leak)

Good gameplay?

and anything else you can come up with.... Thanks guys!

There are a ton of good mods available on XLNation.net and some mods are almost a necessity. The gameplay can be a little shallow without any mods but it looks stunningly beautiful.

--Ocram

Depends on what you're looking for. The next SimCity may be all about simulation, but still has, in my opinion, some things that I don't like. Plus, it may take another year or two to start seeing modding for the game.

CitiesXL 2012 is all about graphics and designing cities, not simulation; the 3D graphics are awesome and seeing your city from infinite angles from above, skyline or street level, sunset or night time, it has no match.

There has been an explosion of mods in the past months. From skyscrapers, to highway systems, many new types of housing, maps, modular stuff, etc. As OcramSeattle says, take a look at the mods at xlnation: http://xlnation.net/xlex

Take a look at these two city journals to have an idea of what can be achieved with good skills:

http://xlnation.net/content/recent-city

http://xlnation.net/content/newburgh-nm-usa

So, decision is yours. If you can afford it, I would go for CXL now and wait a little until modding kicks off for SimCity (which I assume it will happen, at some point)

• Original Poster
  • How hard are the mods to install? I've played SimCity 4 since the beginning. I am hoping SC 2013 is good.

From looking at some videos on Youtube...I think I will enjoy it. Once I get my new computer I will install both SC4 and Cities 2012

RHM is really good, gives you custom highways. NEXL Tram mod gives you trams (often referred to as "light rail" in American discourse). Crime and Leisure mod and Health Enhancement mods deepen the aspects of the simulation for which they are named.There are also custom roads out there and dozens of custom buildings. My only word of caution is to make sure that you have a good PC for this game, or else you will not be able to fully enjoy it.