Sign in to follow this  
lhrob

What requires road access?

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

What elements of the game require road access? And if possible, can you tell me how many tiles away from the road they can be placed and still function - or must the lot itself directly touch a road?

For instance, I want to place a library at a diagonal intersection in my city, but the lot itself obviously won't directly touch the road - only the corner does. Will that be a problem?

The same question could be asked of all the different civic structures, such as schools, police stations, bus stops, etc.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

All of the game's element should be attached to the road and one tile distance between road/street with that building is enough to make them unable to fully operational and effective again.

However, parks, landmarks, water utility, and flora do not need any road access. But all ploppables and growables which is not included in that category will need road access to become fully operational.

Edited by jason leo  

What elements of the game require road access?

All buildings (RCI and otherwise) and structures that house or employ Sims or are used by them directly (such as airports) require road access. Parks are excluded, as are landmarks that don't have jobs or residents. Utilities don't require road access to function, but they won't employ Sims without it. Landfills also require road access.

And if possible, can you tell me how many tiles away from the road they can be placed and still function - or must the lot itself directly touch a road?

They must always touch the tile containing the road; no intervening tiles are permitted.

For instance, I want to place a library at a diagonal intersection in my city, but the lot itself obviously won't directly touch the road - only the corner does. Will that be a problem?

No, because the tile that the library occupies directly borders the tile that contains the intersection. It's the tiles that count - not where things are on them.

The same question could be asked of all the different civic structures, such as schools, police stations, bus stops, etc.

These come under the categories listed in my first answer, so the answer here too is "yes".

Edited by z1  

• Original Poster
  • Okay, for the sake of clarification, this is what I'm talking about: Will these buildings function in this configuration? Are they considered as having road access, even though the lots are positioned at a 45° angle to the roads?

Test_buildings.jpg

Edited by lhrob  

Okay, for the sake of clarification, this is what I'm talking about: Will these buildings function in this configuration? Are they considered as having road access, even though the lots are positioned at a 45° angle to the roads?

Yes; again, don't look at the road itself (it's just a texture) but the tile on which it's located. Notice that the tile containing the corner of each building shares a full side with a tile containing a piece of the road (although in this case, not the intersection itself). You can even see in your picture that the tiles around the places where the roads and buildings share a common boundary is a slightly different color than the background.

Yes. Also, industry can go up to three tiles away from a road.

It's true, industrial buildings don't have to be located on a road boundary, unlike residential and commercial buildings. However, they must be in an industrial zone that extends up to a road.

I've also often seen these buildings more than three tiles away from a road; I think the limit may be five or six tiles.

I have placed off-road wind power plants that do indeed work. The best place to ask this kind of question is in your sandbox. Ask the game, it will tell you without any argument.

Edited by A Nonny Moose  

• Original Poster
  • Okay, for the sake of clarification, this is what I'm talking about: Will these buildings function in this configuration? Are they considered as having road access, even though the lots are positioned at a 45° angle to the roads?

Yes; again, don't look at the road itself (it's just a texture) but the tile on which it's located. Notice that the tile containing the corner of each building shares a full side with a tile containing a piece of the road (although in this case, not the intersection itself). You can even see in your picture that the tiles around the places where the roads and buildings share a common boundary is a slightly different color than the background.

Oooooh....I totally understand what you're saying. :yes: Yes, I see that - and it makes complete sense to me now. Gee, I can't believe I never considered that before. Thanks SO much for helping me. I really appreciate it. :thumb:

• Original Poster
  • Do power plants need to have road access to work? I wouldn't think the windmills would need a road but it would make sense if a coal power plant needed road access.

Since I myself had to open this thread to seek answers for a question about road access, I'm not going to place any stamp of authority upon what I'm about to say...however, in thinking about how a fire can break out on a power plant lot, it might make sense for them to have road access so that the fire department can respond and extinguish it.

Edit: OUCH...sorry for the double post. I forgot I could multi-quote. >.<

Edited by lhrob  

Yes. Also, industry can go up to three tiles away from a road.

It's true, industrial buildings don't have to be located on a road boundary, unlike residential and commercial buildings. However, they must be in an industrial zone that extends up to a road.

I've also often seen these buildings more than three tiles away from a road; I think the limit may be five or six tiles.

I have seen single tile industries display the "no road access" blot and go dilapidated when larger industries develop between the single tile and the roads in a 6X6 industry block with roads on all sides.

Industrial support structures (warehouses, burners, smokestacks, etc.) require a chain of industrial buildings of the same type touching the road at some point in order to have access. If something grows over the "anchor" structure, the structures that depend on it for access will become abandoned.