Sign in to follow this  
SCaddicted

The Skyscraper Recipe

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

As you can see, I have a lot of questions. I didnt want to create several topics so I'm using all my questions here 44.gif

1. Its necessary a 45000 commercial jobs at least to provide the high wealth commercial buildings right? entire region or that single city?

2. I have read somewhere its needed high wealth residencial buildings at neighbor cities and a lot of high techs to stimulate CO$$$ demand. How many sims (population) and neighbor cities its recommended to achieve before starting rezone high dense commercial offices?

3. Airport stimulate commercial demands right? Where to build? One near downtown area while others airports near high dense population areas? Why sometimes my airports dilapidate? Its location?

4. How about Dirty/Manufacturing Industries? Last cities I've made havent had a single dirty ind square builded (raising taxes and investing in well educational systems), is there any impact I can face due this action?

5. Some people say they hold CO$$/CO$$$ demand by raising to 20% taxes at all region cities, till they achieve a saturate population number, and then reduce downtown city taxes to 1% or 0% and watch a big growth. Does this work? I haven't tried yet.

7. What are your main concern when starting a new region, the first city and then, a downtown? Traffic system?

Thanks =)

ill reply to the ones i know.

2) im not sure, i dont really see much different when i do things like that, but i do know neighbouring cities do help with growth of a city.

5) never actually seen or read that before, i dont know, you could try it for just 1 city i guess?

6) u can do that, i have done that before and been fairly successful, but the cj's you see, people usually just plop or place the buildings their themselves. the other possibility would be, they are sim-experts, know exactly what to do and how.

7) main concerns? really? just plan ahead i guess, you can even do a downtown before a city or whatever you please really... traffic system, just have plenty of variety, not too many intersections that i can see. for me, when starting a new city, just try to make sure nothing gets abandoned due to commute time, its a pain in the ass when that happens.

I can answer your question about airports. It's best not to build them near downtown for two reasons:

1. Airports generate pollution and low desirability

2. It isn't realistic to have airports near tall buildings, because in low visibility conditions, a plane could crash into a building.

If an airport is dilapidated, simply adjust its funding in the Transportation Menu Budget.

1. Its necessary a 45000 commercial jobs at least to provide the high wealth commercial buildings right? entire region or that single city?

Nope. CS$$$ and CO$$$ demand are dependent upon the mix of R$,R$$,R$$$ residents in your city and their education level.

The R$ will never create demand for CS$$$ and will create demand for CO$$$ when their education is 120 or higher.

The R$$ create demand for CS$$$ jobs when their education is 120 or higher and will create demand for CO$$$ jobs when their education is 60 or higher.

The R$$$ create demand for Cs$$$ and CO$$$ at greater than 30 education.

2. I have read somewhere its needed high wealth residencial buildings at neighbor cities and a lot of high techs to stimulate CO$$$ demand. How many sims (population) and neighbor cities its recommended to achieve before starting rezone high dense commercial offices?

CO$$$ demand is primarilly driven by your R$$$ pop in your city and neighbour cities and the education levels of the 3 resident classes. You also need road, ave and highway connections to neighbour cities to break the CO$$$ city demand caps(2000 CO$$$ jobs/city) as well. Some rewards like the convention center, television studio and university are CO$$$ demand cap busters as well.

High density buildings won't appear in a city until the population hits 26,000.

3. Airport stimulate commercial demands right? Where to build? One near downtown area while others airports near high dense population areas? Why sometimes my airports dilapidate? Its location?

I don't think airports stimulate CO$$$ demand, but they are a demand cap buster for CO$$$ jobs as well. But highway connection take up less space.

In real life the best place to build an airport is near farmland where the noise will bother the least amount of people with good access to a highway.

I've never seen an airport dilapadate, but I'd guess it one of those negative desirability factors like high crime.

4. How about Dirty/Manufacturing Industries? Last cities I've made havent had a single dirty ind square builded (raising taxes and investing in well educational systems), is there any impact I can face due this action?

There's no impact on your mayor rating if you raised the taxes on dirty industry before starting the game. The only impact of having no dirty industry in your city is that they create no demand for for R$. Which is a good thing. Dirty industry sucks because because it pollutes and it only creates demand for R$, whereas manufacturing is better at the start because it creates demand for R$,R$$ and R$$$ and doesn't pollute if you zone 2x2 and spread it out where you can xone more industry in between when high tech comes.

5. Some people say they hold CO$$/CO$$$ demand by raising to 20% taxes at all region cities, till they achieve a saturate population number, and then reduce downtown city taxes to 1% or 0% and watch a big growth. Does this work? I haven't tried yet.

Never tried it either. But raising taxes reduces your mayor rating and affects demand for 3 months even after the taxes are reduced.

6. How to zone future skyscraper areas? Using Ctrl to avoid 1x2 corner offices? Some CJs I saw had Skyscrapers fitting exactely at every tileset.

Don't know what you mean? What does control do when your zoning? I know shift prevents streets and alt changes zone facing?

7. What are your main concern when starting a new region, the first city and then, a downtown? Traffic system?

Getting reelected as mayor.lol

• Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: WooHoo

6. How to zone future skyscraper areas? Using Ctrl to avoid 1x2 corner offices? Some CJs I saw had Skyscrapers fitting exactely at every tileset.

Don't know what you mean? What does control do when your zoning? I know shift prevents streets and alt changes zone facing?

quote>

Forget that question its kinda confused and merely a esthetic stuff 1.gif

The airport thing, I always thought it was about the high crime, and maybe it is. I try to locate a near police station but doesnt seen to have any effect.

Thanks for the great answers 44.gif

Airports relieve the jobs cap on commercial buildings. The problem with them is that they only affect the city they are placed in, and not the region so unfortunately it's necessary to have airports in downtown. I believe people have uploaded to the STEX small lots that mimic airports, have a look for them. When airport buildings dilapidate, they are being overused so their budget in the transport menu must be raised. The high crime near airports is a bug with all large buildings, Police will normally only affect areas 3 tiles away from a road, since airports are deeper than 3 tiles it causes a bug that gives it high crime.

SC4 really tries to make you develop neighbouring cities, doing so will give benefits to each neighbour starting with cap relief for each neighbour connection you make (roads between the cities).

As far as I know there isn't really any downside to high tech industry apart from its strict desirability requirements.

When an airport is dilapidated, that means it is approaching capacity. There is actually no need to increase funding for dilapidated airports, because once the airport reaches a certain level of stress, the Transportation advisor will pop up and give you the option to upgrade it to a larger version.

If you want level 8 skyscrapers to grow, you need at least 45000 population of the CO$$$ to be in the region

I build the auxillary cities around the main city first. When there is enough demand (by depriving these cities of CO jobs, then I start the main one. Usually I have 3 cities and then I build extra ones when I see fit.

Location doesn't matter. (I think)

You have to build dirty/manufacturing around the main city. If you keep sims educated and get industry quadrupler, you can get less demand for dirty industry. Sometimes I just make cities for industry.

Yes, this works.  For example, try deleting a 4x4 stage 8 skyscraper, with another 4x4 zone elsewhere. If desirability is the same, then the stage 8 should grow elsewhere very quickly.

New Region - Landscaping?

First City - normal city, I don't really care about layout because it is just feeding the main city.

Downton - Networking and Highways - You have to make sure the commuters can reach the downtown region easily.