Sign in to follow this  
sdc31189

Red Borders and other graphical problems

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I accidentally break any rules.

PROBLEM.

Last week I downloaded 3 Landmark plug-ins from the Simcity 4 website - Brandenburg Gate, Stonehedge, the other I can't remember.

I didn't use them at all in the game, then all of a sudden I had this red border. In a panic I quickly saved the game and quit.

I deleted the Landmarks from the plug-ins folder, shut down my computer and let it be.

A few days later I decided to check on the game and I found the Landmarks were still showing up in the game despite me deleting them from the system (or so I thought). And then the red border returned and then the entire floor of my city became this strange mixture of textures. So I saved and quit.

I've tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling (although keeping my save-game) but their still there.

I've got SimCity 4 with the update, running on Vista - I've never had any problems like this before, infact I've never had problems with SC4 on Vista.

Hi sdc31189... and Welcome to Simtropolis...

When you say a "red border," do you mean the actual city terrain is red around the edges? Or do you mean the beackground area is red? 

For the first... Have you possibly placed an item in the Plugins that contains a height mod. The red border sounds like the city is attempting to reconcile the edges to the neighboring cities. However, there is usually a popup warning concerning this You don't happen to get one do you? You might check this by turning off the "Auto Reconcile" feature in the Play Options menu.

The second... Since you mention you are seeing other odd textures, you may have issues with your video card. You could try to run the game in Software mode rather than Hardware to see how things appear. That option is in the game's Graphics settings. You might also mention your computer specifications to help figure this out.

• Original Poster
  • The red border is around the screen and it stays there wherever I move around a city - however, one time it changed to a shade of blue (although I don't think the colour matters, I'm still getting a border and weird textures).

My computer specs are: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5750, 2.0GHz, 358MB GMA X3100, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HDD.

When it comes to computers I'm not that technically minded, so I hope what I've provided above is ok.

But as I've said before, I have never had any problems before I downloaded those particular Landmark plug-ins, and, what I'd really like to know is why they are still appearing in the game despite me deleting them and why are they messing up my game.   

EDIT: I switched to Software and it's become more stable, and it's asked me to reconcile edges, but the 3 Landmark Plug-ins are still showing up in game (even though I never used them and deleted them from the plug-ins folder).

I also checked the condition of my disk and there's a large scratch on the back which I've never noticed before - I've had this disk for a quite a long time now. So I'm thinking of getting the Deluxe Edition to replace this disk

If anyone can provide any help it would be most welcome.

You might need this option to add to your short cut.

"C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -CustomResolution:enabled -rhhhhxvvvv

without all the fancy typeography where

hhhh is your horizonatal resolution and

vvvv is your vertical resolution

Just something to check....

When you downloaded the Landmarks from the SimCity site, did you click on the files to install them, or did you simply place the downloaded files into the Plugins? I think some of the landmarks need to be installed by running the installer. If you ran the installer, you might check the Program File/Maxis/SimCity 4/Plugin directory to see if the files were placed there.

I tried the downloads, and it didn't seem to matter if I ran the installer or simply placed the downloads in the plugins (that was odd), both ran fine. However, I have Deluxe, and if I'm understanding your posts, you have regular SC4? Perhaps it treats things differently. Just a thought...

the border goes red when there is a fire... i have never had any problems with the maxis supplied mods...

you probably just have a fire or riot in your city..

turn goto disasters on

• Original Poster
  • Yes I have regular SC4.

I think I placed them in the plug-ins folder, and then deleted them from there. 

But, as I said in my previous post, I'm going to replace my copy of SC4 with SC4 Deluxe and start all over again because I've found a large scratch on the disk which may have something to do my problem.

Thanks for the help anyway, and if anyone has any further help it would be greatly appreciated. 

That's a good move.  When you get deluxe you should apply both the EP1 and the BATupdate patches available when you register your copy on the EA site.  Most of the downloads on this site require at least the EP1 update and if you want night lights with your BAT downloaded lots, you need the update (not the BAT).